• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AT&T's WarnerMedia & Discovery merger streaming consolidation
2 2

259 posts in this topic

Logo text
Dan Lin will not be accepting the keys to the DC kingdom. The producer was in negotiations to assume the expansive role encompassing film and television for the comic book brand, but talks broke down in recent days.

Sources say a number of factors complicated talks with Warner Bros. Discovery with a chief sticking point being Lin’s commitments to Rideback, his prolific production company and non-profit endeavor. Negotiations went into salary and vision, but Rideback remained a complication. One scenario envisioned WBD taking an equity stake in the company, although the size was always unclear.

The DC job is a top priority for Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav, who has vowed to reshape the comic book brand with a ten-year plan he hopes will allow it to rival the Kevin Feige-led Marvel Studios.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, paperheart said:
Iger basically calls out Zaslav at #CodeCon - saying you can make franchises and cultural moments on streaming platforms - you don’t need everything to start in movie theaters for that to happen (admits he once believed that too)

Exactly. Currently, the most successful WB/DC franchise is GoT, a streaming property. 

LOL.

There's a reason Berkshire Hathaway's bet on streaming was a heavy investment in Paramount rather than WBD.

And WBD stock is now down to $11.45 (and falling).

Don't get me wrong - I bought more WBD stock this week, but I have no illusions it will pay off before 2024.

You know...after that sweet sweet Flash movie money hits :roflmao:

Edited by Gatsby77

HBO and HBO Max Chief Content Officer Casey Bloys has a new title, Chairman and CEO, HBO and HBO Max Content.

The new title for Bloys, who in July signed a new five-year contract with Warner Bros. Discovery, aligns him with the other brand/business leaders who are direct reports to WBD President and CEO David Zaslav, all of whom have Chairman/Chairman and CEO titles. The group includes Pam Abdy and Mike De Luca, who each is Chairperson and CEO of Warner Bros. Film Group; Channing Dungey, Chairman, Warner Bros. Television Group; Kathleen Finch, Chairman and Chief Content Officer, US Networks Group; Chris Licht, Chairman and CEO of CNN Worldwide; and Luis Silberwasser, Chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery Sports.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:01 PM, kimik said:

How many CEOs and Chaipersons does a CEO and President need to report to them to justify a job?lol

The larger the company, the wider the span of control across various divisions you will have.

Banks and service companies will even have regional or business market CEOs to convey how serious they are in a competitive market.

Earlier in the week I watched a couple of analysts on CNBC talking about NFLX. They mentioned that with the current woes at WBD that NFLX should consider an acquisition. I still think that AMZN or AAPL would be a better option as the debt load would be inconsequential for either one. NFLX would drown under the debt.