• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AT&T's WarnerMedia & Discovery merger streaming consolidation
2 2

259 posts in this topic

“Historically when new management comes in, they make a clean sweep,” says USC film professor Jason E. Squire, editor of “The Movie Business Book.” “Sometimes that’s a good plan, and sometimes it’s not.”

The move also comes as Warner Bros. Discovery has reimagined the structure of its film business. Zaslav was said to be enamored with what the Walt Disney Company has achieved in operating its media operations as a series of distinctive brands, with the likes of Marvel’s Kevin Feige, LucasFilm’s Kathleen Kennedy and Pixar’s Jim Morris and Pete Docter overseeing independent fiefdoms. He wants to do something similar with Warner Bros.

On Wednesday, Zaslav finally clarified this ambition by setting a new world order: De Luca and Abdy will run Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema, standing alongside Warner Bros. Animation and DC Films. All labels had previously reported up to Emmerich, who also enjoyed control over a slate of exclusive made-for-streaming features for HBO Max. It’s also not clear if executives such as New Line’s Richard Brenner and DC Films’ Walter Hamada will still have a role to play in the new configuration.

“It’s clear that they’re rebuilding,” one top Hollywood dealmaker noted to Variety. “Maybe with a sledgehammer.”

De Luca and Abdy’s purviews will shrink in the new constellation, and the two executives aren’t expected to have the same oversight that Emmerich maintained. They are expected to have control of New Line, but not DC or the animation arm.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, D84 said:

Don't get me wrong, Michael B. Jordan would be a good Superman...

Having played "Johnny Storm" and then Killmonger within a few years, he's kinda played-out for me in the CBM genre. I think that a black Superman (not Clark Kent) would not be received well until they do right by Kal-El, IMO.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Having played "Johnny Storm" and then Killmonger within a few years, he's kinda played-out for me in the CBM genre. I think that a black Superman (not Clark Kent) would not be received well until they do right by Kal-El, IMO.

I agree that they need to do Kal-El right first, and Cavill still wants to do it, so give him the shot.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

And he was weak in both roles. Part of it may have been the --script/role, but he was meh as both characters. Not his best performances.

Edited by kimik

On 6/3/2022 at 1:17 AM, kimik said:

And he was weak in both roles. Part of it may have been the ---script/role, but he was meh as both characters. Not his best performances.

I thought that he was great as Killmonger, which is why I'm not itching to see him in another role.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I thought that he was great as Killmonger, which is why I'm not itching to see him in another role.

I thought the male leads were wooden and overall bad in the film. The female leads were much better.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, Bosco685 said:

Wow. Looks like we finally have an adult in the house that might understand the film and TV business. There may be hope for the DCEU yet. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

Emmerich's COO - gone!

Warner Bros. Motion Pictures Group COO Carolyn Blackwood is exiting her post.

Blackwood’s departure was widely expected after new owner Warner Bros. Discovery announced last week that movie studio chief Toby Emmerich, her boss and longtime confidante, would be stepping down.

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav wants a new start, and has tapped Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy to run Warners and New Line as soon as Amazon releases them from their contracts at MGM.

Emmerich, who has been leading Warners since 2017 after a long run at New Line, will segue to a producing deal with Warner Bros. Discovery.

Supposedly the merger has led to WB execs to issue an edict to keep Long Island’s own off the air 

@jaybuck43

#FreeMJF

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/aew/rumor-reports-warner-bros-issuing-edict-remove-mjf-aew-promos

E59F1B2E-F228-4DE8-A618-9811DBF53542.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/9/2022 at 7:02 AM, Buzzetta said:

Supposedly the merger has led to WB execs to issue an edict to keep Long Island’s own off the air 

@jaybuck43

#FreeMJF

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/aew/rumor-reports-warner-bros-issuing-edict-remove-mjf-aew-promos

E59F1B2E-F228-4DE8-A618-9811DBF53542.png

Discovery can't handle the Salt of the Earth!

Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group COO Carolyn Blackwood Departing

On the day of Emmerich’s departure last week, Zaslav made it known that he was separating the movie side of the studio into three buckets of Warner Bros/New Line, DC and Warner Animation. De Luca and Abdy will oversee DC in the interim upon their arrival. A search is underway for a new head of DC.

Does that mean Hamada is out of the picture?

:whatthe: