• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Protecting Slabs from Sprinkler systems
2 2

51 posts in this topic

Recently had to move a few of my slabs into a room with a sprinkler system in case there is a fire.   They are all sealed in CGC plastic bags, but in the event of a fire, and the sprinker systems go off... what would be the best way to prevent water getting into the slab? 

Are there waterproof CGC cases for sale or should I just wrap all my slabs in a huge Walmart bag?

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Glad we have so many comedians in house now.  Funny. :golfclap:

Anyway,  I assume the inner wells are not waterproof since I've seen slabs damaged by flooding. Do you all feel comfortable with only cgc bags which are not airtight so water potentially could still drip into the slab if exposed. 

to be honest there is water flowing into the sprinklers? then that pipe can burst..... better be prepared for the worst :foryou: 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

to be honest there is water flowing into the sprinklers? then that pipe can burst..... better be prepared for the worst :foryou: 

I tell my wife - if there's ever a fire at the house, open the family room window, toss out those cardboard boxes marked "A" and "B" and climb out!

When I had my raws in the basement, I had the long boxes sitting on 2x4's in case water ever got on the floor. That actually worked when either the laundry tub overflowed or water seeped in from outside.   Of course moving them upstairs was an ever better solution.

I'd go along with Thoth and also say get a good tarp at Home Depot 

BTW a friend at work just had her 3 story apartment complex burn down. The fire started in the 2nd floor unit above her. The fire department aimed the hoses directly into her apartment. So if you're worried about water damage from a fire while you're not there, there's only so much you can protect against. 

There is a company that makes a cgc/comic graded case looks similar to a Pelican case (I think one of these cgc cases holds like 20-30+ and they are like $350+). I can't remember the name, but it's a relatively new company and shortboxed was giving one away a few weeks back for there one year anniversary.  So I'm sure someone else on here saw that or you can reach out to shortboxed and ask them who that vendor was. 

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Recently had to move a few of my slabs into a room with a sprinkler system in case there is a fire.   They are all sealed in CGC plastic bags, but in the event of a fire, and the sprinker systems go off... what would be the best way to prevent water getting into the slab? 

Are there waterproof CGC cases for sale or should I just wrap all my slabs in a huge Walmart bag?

Plastic bins over the slabs to act as a roof.

How are the slabs stored in the room? 

Sitting on the floor, or in shelves? If shelves, you could add a door to them and hang a tarp over it.

That could also prevent them falling out in an earthquake. A good room dehumidifier might also be good

in case of water. At least keep the moisture out.

4 minutes ago, Rosland said:

How are the slabs stored in the room? 

Sitting on the floor, or in shelves? If shelves, you could add a door to them and hang a tarp over it.

That could also prevent them falling out in an earthquake. A good room dehumidifier might also be good

in case of water. At least keep the moisture out.

They are on the very top shelf to prevent flooding but the sprinkler system will likely indirectly hit them  with water.  

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Does it really matter if it's protected from the sprinkler?  If you have a fire and a sprinkler...wouldn't the humidity damage the books at that point?

Well that is true.  I live in   a huge building and if there's a fire near my place, I'll forget them...it's a lost cause.

however, if the fire is on the top floor or far away , the building sprinklers will still kick on and I want to protect my stuff in that scenario...

Devil's in the details, but I would start with:

(1) Keep them off the floor

(2) Don't put them on top of something, rather inside it (e.g. bookcase)

(3) Have a door or tarp or something that prevents them falling out and prevent water from spraying in

(4) Dehumidifier to keep the humidity down in case there's water on the floor. Ideally with external drain hose exiting room

(5) Water leak alarm on the floor

(6) Bonus points for having a floor drain

More ideas out there?