• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"VF 7.5", "FN 5.5", etc.
2 2

17 posts in this topic

There's a comic seller on eBay (a large one, with a very large feedback number), who consistently drops the minus signs from letter grades, and so you see grades in their listings like "VG 3.5" and "FN 5.5".  (They don't drop plus signs.)  Is there historic precedent for this, or is this an innovation on their part?

8 hours ago, !???! said:

Ironically this is exactly why CGC got rid of the Alpha grades on the label. Borock said they had too many Newbs complain about a "negative" grade they received.

Lame :facepalm:

I wish they still had the alpha grades with the numeric grades.  
My default when grading is still alpha.  
Yes, I'm a dinosaur.  

17 hours ago, LiftedAndShifted said:

There's a comic seller on eBay (a large one, with a very large feedback number), who consistently drops the minus signs from letter grades, and so you see grades in their listings like "VG 3.5" and "FN 5.5".  (They don't drop plus signs.)  Is there historic precedent for this, or is this an innovation on their part?

It may be a bit deceptive, but technically they're not wrong...

IIRC the reason that CGC got rid of the Alpha grades (way back during the original label change) was that enough people were complaining that the "minus sign" on NM- or VF-, et al. was being viewed as a negative (no pun intended).  

On 5/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, chrisco37 said:

IIRC the reason that CGC got rid of the Alpha grades (way back during the original label change) was that enough people were complaining that the "minus sign" on NM- or VF-, et al. was being viewed as a negative (no pun intended).  

I thought everyone understood a VG+ is more desirable than a NM-

I miss the old days when you had double plus goods.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:01 AM, LiftedAndShifted said:

If they're raw books worth $100+, then it's very likely that the books are overgraded even before they dropped the minus signs. 

People with $100+ raw books who actively avoid CGC are more-often-than-not (I didn't say "always") looking out for themselves in every way possible.  Maybe they don't have time to CGC grade their books - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they overgrade more than they undergrade - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they're afraid CGC will disagree on the grade - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they hope buyers won't notice the missing minus sign - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they hope buyers will not CGC the books either and keep buying from them - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they don't have extra cash to pay for CGC grading - looking out for themselves.

Yes, everyone is always looking out for themselves, but crooks do so far more often than honest people, and they do it on purpose in ways that they can claim were "just an accident" (whoops, forgot the minus signs, whoops, missed that back cover damage) or "just a convenience" (sorry, don't have time to CGC, sorry, don't need anyone else telling me how to grade) - looking out for themselves. 

Crooks also hate it when people point out all the things they do that make them crooks.  Maybe they should just stop doing those things but they don't because they're...  looking out for themselves.

Notice again, I didn't say "always".

Edited by valiantman

43 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If they're raw books worth $100+, then it's very likely that the books are overgraded even before they dropped the minus signs. 

People with $100+ raw books who actively avoid CGC are more-often-than-not (I didn't say "always") looking out for themselves in every way possible.  Maybe they don't have time to CGC grade their books - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they overgrade more than they undergrade - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they're afraid CGC will disagree on the grade - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they hope buyers won't notice the missing minus sign - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they hope buyers will not CGC the books either and keep buying from them - looking out for themselves.  Maybe they don't have extra cash to pay for CGC grading - looking out for themselves.

Yes, everyone is always looking out for themselves, but crooks do so far more often than honest people, and they do it on purpose in ways that they can claim were "just an accident" (whoops, forgot the minus signs, whoops, missed that back cover damage) or "just a convenience" (sorry, don't have time to CGC, sorry, don't need anyone else telling me how to grade) - looking out for themselves. 

Crooks also hate it when people point out all the things they do that make them crooks.  Maybe they should just stop doing those things but they don't because they're...  looking out for themselves.

Notice again, I didn't say "always".

What color kool-aid do you prefer?

Is that supposed to impress me?  Why?

I don't use grading companies for most books. It's not worth it to me. I'd rather pay $50 for a book and flip it for $80-$110 in two weeks than tie up my initial capital for months, spend another $40-$50 to get it graded and sell it for $200.  

Your mileage may vary. 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Is that supposed to impress me?  Why?

I don't use grading companies for most books. It's not worth it to me. I'd rather pay $50 for a book and flip it for $80-$110 in two weeks than tie up my initial capital for months, spend another $40-$50 to get it graded and sell it for $200.  

Your mileage may vary. 

So, you've verified every-single-thing that I said.  Am I supposed to now be "corrected" by any of your comments?