• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temperature check - How much do you plan on submitting to CGC in the next 3-6 months?
5 5

With the change in price and the increased turn around times, how much do you plan to submit to CGC in the near future (next 3-6 months)?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. With the change in price and the increased turn around times, how much do you plan to submit to CGC in the near future (next 3-6 months)?

• More than ever - MAKE MINE CGC!
    • a little more than I have in the past
    • about the same as I've done before
    • a little less than before
    • Zero, Zilch, None, Nada - CGC is dead to me!
    • I Love Greggy! I Love Crack!

167 posts in this topic

I never had much before that I felt would be worth getting graded, but now I've gotten a few books that make sense to send in. Anything I get graded would be for my personal collection at this point though. But yeah, I plan/hope to do my first submission within the next six months.

I plan on making just a couple of submissions this year and into the next.  I'll submit more books than normal due to the TAT's.  I don't like the price increases either but until their profits start falling nothing is going to change IMHYWO.
Also when CGC first started out we knew who the graders were.  They were respected in the comic book business to develop a level of trust.   So who are these new graders?   Are they Joes/Janes off the street that just want a job
and only read a few comic books as a kid?  I don't know anything about the new graders is all I'm saying.  I guess it doesn't matter that much now since CGC is firmly established as the grading leader. 

My 2c:

The ones who submit a comic or two for fun will continue to do so.

The ones who submit b/c their income depends on it will continue to do so.

The ones who are in the middle will, overall, submit less.

Unless/until the heavy submitters stop sending in hundreds of books a month -- and why would they if they depend on the income -- the TATs will not come down.

The middle-level submissions are a drop in the bucket in terms of volume, and the flood of in-house signings essentially negates that. So the middle drop-off will largely go unnoticed in terms of submissions.

By happenstance I sent a box of books to be graded/reholdered about a week before the announcement.  They’ve been delivered but still not “Received”. 

I sent a box of books to my presser about a week after the announcement. But those I was fully intending to submit before the announcement I just hadn’t got around to mailing them so I consider those ‘in-the-pipeline’ pre-announcement. 

As of right now, there’s another group of books I was fully intending to send to my presser and then to CGC after he finishes the current batch.  Barring any further negative developments I’ll probably still send those.  But after that...there’s a bunch of other books I had been contemplating submitting but now I probably won’t. 

While I’m not thrilled with the TATs I’m not submitting for immediate resale so there’s no pressure that way. 

My biggest concern is the seemingly ever-increasing QC horror stories that appear to be moving well beyond the acceptable defect rate. 

At this point I’m inclined to actively avoid books graded this year.  And with the proliferation of amateur pressing and escalating prices, I’m not sure how much buying of raw or graded I’ll be doing going forward. 

Edited by Number 6

16 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

By happenstance I sent a box of books to be graded/reholdered about a week before the announcement.  They’ve been delivered but still not “Received”. 

I sent a box of books to my presser about a week after the announcement. But those I was fully intending to submit before the announcement I just hadn’t got around to mailing them so I consider those ‘in-the-pipeline’ pre-announcement. 

As of right now, there’s another group of books I was fully intending to send to my presser and then to CGC after he finishes the current batch.  Barring any further negative developments I’ll probably still send those.  But after that...there’s a bunch of other books beyond those I had been contemplating submitting but now I probably won’t. 

While I’m not thrilled with the TATs I’m not submitting for immediate resale so there’s pressure that way. 

My biggest concern is the seemingly ever-increasing QC horror stories that appear to be moving well beyond the acceptable defect rate. 

At this point I’m inclined to actively avoid books graded this year.  And with the proliferation of amateur pressing and escalating prices, I’m not sure how much buying of raw or graded I’ll be doing going forward. 

Yes, the QC issues are a major concern but it's too late for me as the package is there and I just hope they don't mess up the books that might grade 9.6/9.8.