• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temperature check - How much do you plan on submitting to CGC in the next 3-6 months?
5 5

With the change in price and the increased turn around times, how much do you plan to submit to CGC in the near future (next 3-6 months)?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. With the change in price and the increased turn around times, how much do you plan to submit to CGC in the near future (next 3-6 months)?

• More than ever - MAKE MINE CGC!
    • a little more than I have in the past
    • about the same as I've done before
    • a little less than before
    • Zero, Zilch, None, Nada - CGC is dead to me!
    • I Love Greggy! I Love Crack!

167 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, musicmeta said:

Yes, the QC issues are a major concern but it's too late for me as the package is there and I just hope they don't mess up the books that might grade 9.6/9.8.  

That's the biggest reason for me as to whether or not I will send more books this year.  I'd like to send a batch of SA/BA books, but my stress will be higher if those grades get botched.  So I'm waiting to see how they do with my Moderns. (shrug)

34 minutes ago, manetteska said:

There is a lot of QC hesitation which I was not aware of. Is there a link to examples of how bad it is and the volume?

It was started 2014, but you can go through toward the end and see current issues. 

39 minutes ago, manetteska said:

There is a lot of QC hesitation which I was not aware of. Is there a link to examples of how bad it is and the volume?

This is an enlightening thread: 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/486046-3rd-times-the-charm-avengers-4-cgc-75-improper-encapsulation-damage-by-cgc-what-to-do-next-updated-conclusion/

15 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It was started 2014, but you can go through toward the end and see current issues. 

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I click on the Quality Control topic whenever something new comes up. As usual I see several cases where the wrong label was placed with the comic (not any damage to a comic).

On the Avengers 4 thread (and perhaps I didn't read closely) it's detailing the story of a single book.

I'm not saying CGC damaging a book is good or acceptable, but I was under the impression from the posts here the volume of CGC damage is way up. And it very well could be; I guess I'm looking for something with dozens of recent damaged comics collected together (not necessarily a topic on these boards).

And I have several full submissions of older slabs where any slight movement and the comic bounces around, which could quite easily lead to damage during shipping or handling. That's why I cringe when I see some videos on IG on people tossing slabs around or pulling them out of a short box and dropping them back down. Less movement than that has led to damage on my own slabs.

I don't send books to CCS or CGC any longer.  I had a very bad experience with them both, and the resolutions proposed were anything but satisfactory.  Any graded books that I receive in the mail these days, were done so by a previous owner.

Fool me once, shame on you.:flamed:

Fool me twice...

I'll be sending in quite a bit less because of several reasons but mainly because the grades I just received were, well, to be kind, HARSH. I don't know if there are new graders or not but the FT Modern sub I just got the grades on were extremely disappointing. I sub a few hundred moderns a year and know what a 9.8 and 9.6 look like. I might disagree with 2-3 books out of a 25 book sub but I figure its the law of averages, either I missed it or they did, no big deal. On this sub every book , 24 out of 25 were not what I expected. Books I felt that were a 9.8 came back a 9.6 and every book I felt was a 9.6 came back a 9.4 and a couple lower. To top it off there were grader notes on every book, usually there are no grader notes on most 9.6s on my subs and a few grader notes listed corner impact/ding and there were absolutely NONE when I sent them in. Add in the TAT and the price increase and I'm going to rethink my business plan.

Rant over.

Something changed in the modern grading 

it’s gone from starting as a 9,8 and working it’s way down (based on defects) to starting below and proving that the book deserves a 9.8 

37 minutes ago, Fisionbomb said:

Same.

isnt it spelled "fission"?

I just re-upped my membership to get the submission discount.  I have about 8-10 mags deserving of slabs before being sold.  If it takes the better part of a year to get them graded, so be it.  One submission a year is about the rate I've been running for awhile now, but I expect this mag submission to be my last or next to last one.

Edited by namisgr

If there is on-site at Baltimore, I will be submitting about 500 books. If there is not, then I will be submitting probably 50 books this year.