• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Issue
1 1

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bird said:

accept a return...you win some and you lose some and this one went south. the truth of his claim is irrelevant. He wants to return, take it back.

refund when you have book in hand

+1

My experience has been that the naked eye is a lot better at picking up color touch than a black light... in fact, I'm not sure I've ever spotted color touch with a black light (and I've tried!).  The fact that he claimed to discover it by using a black light would make me suspicious.  Having said that, I've found its best to just concede the issue, take the book back, and issue the refund (as long as it comes back in the same condition as sent).  Then I'd block the bidder going forward.

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

I applaud your stance and wish you luck. I certainly don't condone the behavior and it's the reason I won't sell raw on ebay and I won't accept any bidder with less than 20 feedback as a disclaimer.

Yes, I haven't tried to sell anything on ebay in years.  If I do decide to sell on ebay, I'll probably do what you're doing...No raw's or very few cheap raws and only accept bidders with a certain amount of feedback.  20 seems like a good number. 
The rules were changed many years ago that you can't leave negative feedback for buyers.  That did it for me.  

1 minute ago, musicmeta said:

Yes, I haven't tried to sell anything on ebay in years.  If I do decide to sell on ebay, I'll probably do what you're doing...No raw's or very few cheap raws and only accept bidders with a certain amount of feedback.  20 seems like a good number. 
The rules were changed many years ago that you can't leave negative feedback for buyers.  That did it for me.  

In this day and age of free shipping and free returns, no questions asked policies, you now have a generation of buyers with little regard for the practice. Shame really.

You can't win.

Someone once told me never sell anything on Ebay that you're not willing to lose out on.

Be careful selling raw books or cards.

I have a raw Kobe Bryant rookie that'd I'd love to sell so I can use the money on comics.

It's in perfect condition but I don't belong to any card grading clubs.

My fear is that someone buys mine to upgrade theirs.

They can complain to Ebay and then send me their crappy card in place of mine.

It would be such an easy con to pull off...same can be done with raw books

4 hours ago, awe4one said:

Ok...I don’t like it. Don’t like that someone can dictate their sale if they don’t like their own error. And really don’t like them accusing me of something I never did. Especially something I really don’t like. This is kind of personal with me. I never thought someone would of accused of me of this and now it has happened, regardless of they being wrong. I really want to fight this until I’m forced to accept it.

Jim

Ebay has a business model where any buyer can return any item.  Similar policy to Walmart or Amazon or Costco or frankly most retailers.  Great for them because they don't own any of the items listed on their site.  Great for buyers who change their minds or are dishonest.  Not great for sellers.

You could try to fight this but I don't think you'll get anywhere.  Accept the return and hope you get what you sent back.

7 hours ago, Bird said:

accept a return...you win some and you lose some and this one went south. the truth of his claim is irrelevant. He wants to return, take it back.

refund when you have book in hand

While the time frame might be a little annoying, if someone wants to return something it's just good business to take it back as long as it is in condition sold. I have a 14 day from delivery no questions asked ebay return policy as long as the buyer pays return shipping. I've had three items out of more than a thousand sales returned. Once because a buyer belatedly realized they already had the comics, and another time the reason listed was just "decided I didn't want it." 

7 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe you were wronged by the original seller....

Maybe...but I bought it from a pretty respectable seller if I remember right. And looking at the comic I never thought color touch. Nor saw any indication it happened. This is wildly_fanciful_statement.

On another angle, how are you Beyonder? Long time no talk.

Jim

It's possible and even likely to win a case. But can't imagine it's good odds if you ignore the case and give the buyer a automatic return. You can contact ebay and plea your case about not being notified for the return. If you know what you are doing you can still win or at least tie. But like others said, save the hassle and just sell it again for more money.

3 hours ago, awe4one said:

Maybe...but I bought it from a pretty respectable seller if I remember right. And looking at the comic I never thought color touch. Nor saw any indication it happened. This is wildly_fanciful_statement.

On another angle, how are you Beyonder? Long time no talk.

Jim

I’m good Jim:hi:

Just sitting on the sidelines and watching the crazy that is the current market .:popcorn:

On 5/24/2021 at 4:19 AM, awe4one said:

OK guys I have an issue with a recent eBay auction that I would like your opinions/advice. I sold a raw Eternals #1 30 cent variant that I bought on this website about a decade ago for, if I remember right, $30. Put it in my box and hadn’t seen the light of day until I saw how much they were selling on eBay recently. Put it up on the site and it sold for a premium about a month ago. Now a month later the buyer is claiming to eBay he bought a black light and the comic has color touch. He wants his money back. Who color touches a $30 comic? And also I have photos of the inside front cover that shows no color touch bleed through. 
eBay never contacted me about this, my wife noticed it, and they automatically ruled in his favor. This is so wrong. And if you know me, I abhor restoration. What are my options?

Jim

Take the book back, block the eBay buyer, resell the book, and call it a day.

Haven't had a bad day on eBay since 2005 since I just take back returns from a copy and paste message to the customer, and as long as I get the book back in the same condition.

Most eBay auctions aren't worth going back and worth.  Just get the book back and drink a beer.

On 5/24/2021 at 6:21 AM, awe4one said:

Ok...I don’t like it. Don’t like that someone can dictate their sale if they don’t like their own error. And really don’t like them accusing me of something I never did. Especially something I really don’t like. This is kind of personal with me. I never thought someone would of accused of me of this and now it has happened, regardless of they being wrong. I really want to fight this until I’m forced to accept it.

Jim

He is saying you sold a book that had color touch. It's not an attack on you. No one says you did the color touch. It's a return. Treat it as a return, not a personal attack. F.I.D.O. 

The only way the basterds win is if you let them.