• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOOB QUESTION! worth it to submit these titles?

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

sort of a speculation question here.  I have been selling off my ~20yo collection of comics that i recently recovered from my parent's place.  It's been a blast rediscovering my old hobby, but I never really got too deep into the buy/sell/trade aspect.  It's been really fun to get into that part of it too.

I'm posting because I just made my first submission to CGC for the following:

Amazing Spider Man 252 

Wolverine #1 1982 (Frank Miller Version)

hoping for 9.8s on those they were pretty mint as far as I can tell...

Also submitted an X-Men #21 from 1966 but no idea what the grade will come back looking like.  After a press maybe a 7 or 8 who knows. That one was more just for fun.

Where I can use some guidance is for my next submission, this is a little more speculative....

VENOM Lethal protector #1, 4x copies in NM condition, definite candidates for 9.8

VENOM 1x full set, lethal protector 1-6.  guessing 9.5+ for all

GAMBIT 1x full set of limited series...super low interest on eBay right now but in amazing shape...strong candidate for 9.8 on #1 that is a crisp comic.

VENOM Funeral Pyre #1 and 2, guessing 9.5+ on those but strong candidate for 9.8s.

Any thoughts appreciated!!! Hoping for some hype to ramp up on the venom titles maybe later this year but any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I’d say grade them first (as suggested in the previous post), then research the raw vs graded selling prices.  
Factor in grading/shipping/opportunity/insurance/time costs, then do a comparison on your own and see if the expected profits from grading meet whatever subjective criteria that YOU YOURSELF HAVE SET.  Everyone is in a different financial situation and has different collection and business goals, so do the math for you and see where things fall.  

good luck

ps.  Generally if you and everyone are confident of 9.8’s I’d get them graded.  You can look into Cgc prescreen as well if you have enough books

Edited by revat

19 hours ago, Da_Ski_Bum said:

VENOM Lethal protector #1, 4x copies in NM condition, definite candidates for 9.8

VENOM 1x full set, lethal protector 1-6.  guessing 9.5+ for all

GAMBIT 1x full set of limited series...super low interest on eBay right now but in amazing shape...strong candidate for 9.8 on #1 that is a crisp comic.

VENOM Funeral Pyre #1 and 2, guessing 9.5+ on those but strong candidate for 9.8s.

"9.5+", you say? hm

haha ok thanks everyone.  Totally understand I'm NOT experienced in what makes a 9.5 vs a 9.8 etc lol i guess to clarify, ASSUMING these titles are in excellent condition, does anyone anticipate them going up in value anytime soon? what are some good resources re: investment, trading, selling etc i can look into?

Re: research, mainly just been looking at eBay. on the Venom LPs, #1s are going for around $50 raw and $100-150 slabbed 9.8.  Do movie releases have much bearing on the values here? I know the new venom movie is coming out in september wondering if that would heat up interest in these?  Just trying to forecast and time a sale to get the best value i can for them if that makes sense.

On the Gambit titles....they are in amazing shape which was what had me considering slabbing. But the raw value on them is LOW on eBay like well under $10 (one guy is selling a slabbed 9.8 #1 fo $1000 but something tells me he won't get that).  Again just trying to gauge a value/forecast... since eBay is not super helpful there?

16 minutes ago, Da_Ski_Bum said:

haha ok thanks everyone.  Totally understand I'm NOT experienced in what makes a 9.5 vs a 9.8 etc lol i guess to clarify, ASSUMING these titles are in excellent condition, does anyone anticipate them going up in value anytime soon? what are some good resources re: investment, trading, selling etc i can look into?

Re: research, mainly just been looking at eBay. on the Venom LPs, #1s are going for around $50 raw and $100-150 slabbed 9.8.  Do movie releases have much bearing on the values here? I know the new venom movie is coming out in september wondering if that would heat up interest in these?  Just trying to forecast and time a sale to get the best value i can for them if that makes sense.

On the Gambit titles....they are in amazing shape which was what had me considering slabbing. But the raw value on them is LOW on eBay like well under $10 (one guy is selling a slabbed 9.8 #1 fo $1000 but something tells me he won't get that).  Again just trying to gauge a value/forecast... since eBay is not super helpful there?

As our esteemed colleague @shadroch mentioned, visit this forum for help from other boardies on estimating potential grade for any of your books.  Read the forum rules first, though!!  Welcome to the boards!!! (thumbsu

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

When you think a book is that clean, I'd suggest going and buying the best current one you can find that is brand new this month. Be picky. Take it home and begin to compare it to all of the other books you think will pull a high grade. Be picky. 9.0 is actually a difficult grade to achieve. Most 9.0 and above have never been read. Even so..9.4 is way harder. 

When Bob Storms was up here, he encouraged me to look at a book upside down. It really changed the perspective in viewing it. Things jumped out.  Look it over in back light if you can to see watermarks or staining. Backlight shows if a book has been fussed with.  In general, he told me I graded about a point too high. I'm far fussier now and the range that gives me the most fits is between 4.0 and 5.5.  6.0 is really a very nice book.  7.0 and up are remarkably clean and shiny.

Generally movie/tv bumps are associated with character announcements or trailer appearances, but general interest may increase prices too. There’s a million comic movies that have come out, you can go back and research when announcements were made or trailers dropped and see if related comic prices increased or spiked accordingly.  The data is probably not conclusive so you’ll have to do your own analysis to prioritize stuff you think is relevant 

On 5/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, Da_Ski_Bum said:

Venom LP and certain Carnage comics will most likely continue to run up in price in anticipation of the movie...

On 5/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

nothing will make a book a 9.5 no matter how hard you try :nyah:

Hide contents

cgc grading scales as follows: 9.0 - 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.6 - 9.8 - 9.9 - 10

Just one word. “Wizard”.

21 hours ago, GPCEE said:

At the initial dealer meetings in 1999 CGC was laughed out the door when they said they were going to call Modern age books "The Wizard Age" lol

Oh man.... Im very thankful that never caught on... Wizard age sounds horrible to me....

Also I fully admit I had no clue 9.5 was ever a thing. So thanks, today I learned!

6 hours ago, Scoobydiesel said:

Oh man.... Im very thankful that never caught on... Wizard age sounds horrible to me....

Also I fully admit I had no clue 9.5 was ever a thing. So thanks, today I learned!

It may sound horrible, but I'm all for an alternative to the never ending modern age. 

It seems to have started in the 80s and never stopped.