• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To all the folks complaining about the increase in OA prices this past year...
1 1

141 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Again, I have a hard time with hanging a piece of paper on my wall worth the average cost of a new BMW and then calling this "a hobby".

Actually, people do collect cars as a hobby.  Bring A Trailer is a great site.  David

Edited by aokartman
crop

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Not filing your gainful activity on your tax return doesn't make it less a business, just more an illegal business ;) 

I wonder when the auction houses will start sending out 1099s.  David

59 minutes ago, aokartman said:

I wonder when the auction houses will start sending out 1099s.  David

Within minutes of that happening, there will be a spike in appeals to Congress to reinstate "art" under the Sec 1031 like-kind exchanges definition.

4 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Within minutes of that happening, there will be a spike in appeals to Congress to reinstate "art" under the Sec 1031 like-kind exchanges definition.

And prices will drop by at least a third.

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

If it's not your profession, and you do it for fun, then it's a hobby. 

Not if you are making money on it (or trying to). Then, it would be a side business. 

And yes, people do collect cars, but rarely do they have a lot of them, and it is often in the context of restoration, show, and/or amateur track racing, or, they are just into buying junk. We never buy junk. 🤭

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Not if you are making money on it (or trying to). Then, it would be a side business. 

And yes, people do collect cars, but rarely do they have a lot of them, and it is often in the context of restoration, show, and/or amateur track racing, or, they are just into buying junk. We never buy junk. 🤭

Just for fun, let's say you spent a while amassing a special collection of things, and eventually have to let it go at a fraction of what you paid.  If you haven't got a record of the basis of your cost, you could be on the hook for substantial hobby income, even if you liquidate at a loss.  Curious what extent the government wants to seek taxes on that type of "income".  David

8 minutes ago, aokartman said:

Just for fun, let's say you spent a while amassing a special collection of things, and eventually have to let it go at a fraction of what you paid.  If you haven't got a record of the basis of your cost, you could be on the hook for substantial hobby income, even if you liquidate at a loss.  Curious what extent the government wants to seek taxes on that type of "income".  David

I suspect that the evidence of their sale would be very similar to the ending of many Phantom Stranger stories— just vanish without a trace (CoD).

And so would a lot of Heritage sales.

Edited by Rick2you2

I fully expected auction houses to provide 1099s. In fact, I assumed they already did so. I have never sold at auction so have no clue how that works. I also assumed the auction houses would have been subsumed within the new tax law changes. I mean, at this point is Heritage that much different than ebay? Am somewhat confused as what I seem to be reading here. 

11 hours ago, SquareChaos said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

If it's not your profession, and you do it for fun, then it's a hobby. 

Seems to be a quasi gray area for many that are constantly wheeling and dealing.

The wheeling and dealing is part of the fun of the hobby.

Unless you're doing the wheeling and dealing to make a living, then it's not a hobby.

Does anyone else do this -- occasionally approach prices/costs for anything via the lens of OA prices?

Like if I'm debating over the price of something totally unrelated to art, I'll just rationalize it by saying, "Oh, that's barely half the price of a ____ page.  C'mon ya wimp." lol 

Edited by exitmusicblue

9 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Does anyone else do this -- occasionally approach prices/costs for anything via the lens of OA prices?

Like if I'm debating over the price of something totally unrelated to art, I'll just rationalize it by saying, "Oh, that's barely half the price of a ____ page.  C'mon ya wimp." lol 

This hobby changed the way I view spending... and I'm a complete and utter light weight when it comes to OA spending.