• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Reject" on an order when I didn't request pre-screen?

16 posts in this topic

My first submission just hit the stage where I can see the grades.  On one of the books, under "category," the word "reject" appears.

• It was a Modern submission (Submission #3811638) and the book is from 1982.  That qualifies as Modern.
  • I didn't request a pre-screen, so that can't be the reason.
  • If it was restored/altered, that should have shown on the label.
  • There are no grader notes available.

The only thing I can think of is a counterfeit.  Did my LCS sell me a fake comic, and that's why it was rejected?

• Administrator

Good morning,

Occasionally, a book cannot be graded or encapsulated due to the condition of the book or other various factors.  When you receive your order back, there should be a notation on the book in question as to why it was not graded.  Once you have the book back, if you still have a question, please contact our customer service department for more details.  You can reach them at 877-662-6642 or by email at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Occasionally, a book cannot be graded or encapsulated due to the condition of the book or other various factors.  When you receive your order back, there should be a notation on the book in question as to why it was not graded.  Once you have the book back, if you still have a question, please contact our customer service department for more details.  You can reach them at 877-662-6642 or by email at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thanks,

Thanks for the info.  The book appeared to be around 8.5 - 9.0 or so.  I'll be curious to see why it couldn't be graded/encapsulated.  Clearly, I missed something.

7 minutes ago, GPCEE said:

No, they would just use a magazine slab. It has to do with how the comic was produced. The cover hangs over the pages too much and slabbing it damages the cover.

Fascinating.  A process meant to preserve and protect would instead cause damage.  Thanks for the info.

On a side note, congrats on the grades you got.  Nice!

As for DD 181, curious to see what reason is as I will be sending the same book in.  Even if missing pages / detached pages / missing staples it would still grade but lower or even qualified.  Hate to think that book was damaged along the way. 

1 hour ago, waynemel said:

On a side note, congrats on the grades you got.  Nice!

As for DD 181, curious to see what reason is as I will be sending the same book in.  Even if missing pages / detached pages / missing staples it would still grade but lower or even qualified.  Hate to think that book was damaged along the way. 

Thank you.  It was my first sub, so it looks like I picked decent books to send.  :)

I'll definitely update the thread when the books arrive.

I had a GA Action rejected for the same reason.  II believe books with a moderate to severe overhang are rejected because it's harder to stabilize in the slab, and if the book shifts, it can become damaged much easier than a book with little or no overhang.  

41 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

...if the book shifts, it can become damaged much easier than a book with little or no overhang.  

This makes quite a bit of sense.  The corners of the cover didn't hold up well to being shipped.

On an unrelated note, I've actually begun to become more attached to this book now.  It's got character and a bit of story to tell.