• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The IRS Pedigree
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I have about 10 from that collection...but nothing super special. I remember I got Life with Archie 1 & 2 and a few ECs that we’re reasonably priced. Maybe The neatest thing is, I have kept every comic related thing I ever had, so I still have his  IRS collection mail order catalogue.

I just bought a bunch of comics labeled as the Nevada collection. I think these were but in the 80s or 90s from sparkle city. Nice upper grades but really white pages on late 40s early 50s books

2 hours ago, buttock said:

Served time.  Got out.  Hired by Chuck R at Mile High comics.  Fired for stealing.  

True story. 

Colorado: Home of some of the coolest and weirdest comic-related stuff...  :banana:  :facepalm:

I remember some coverage on this collection when it first was discovered and came-to-market.

Consensus was, while an interesting origin story, it was so heavily weighted towards the modern books (vs. Golden / Silver Age) that it was actually underwhelming.

2 hours ago, ft88 said:

I just bought a bunch of comics labeled as the Nevada collection. I think these were but in the 80s or 90s from sparkle city. Nice upper grades but really white pages on late 40s early 50s books

I have a bunch of those too. Picked them up in June 1993, from Sotheby’s auction. Back then, they would sell in large groups. I think the largest I ever won was about 240 books (in one lot!). I think all of the Nevada books I won were all mainstream DC titles in FN/VF to VF/NM but were noted for the very high page quality. Sotheby’s auctions...good times.  :x

1 hour ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Ummm... why is it the "IRS collection" when the guy worked for - and the  books were sold by - the CDR?

Well if you read the blurb in the certificate, the IRS seized the collection and had it auctioned.  They were the owner, thus their name on the collection.

Just now, fifties said:

Well if you read the blurb in the certificate, the IRS seized the collection and had it auctioned.  They were the owner, thus their name on the collection.

Well if you actually read the blurb, like I did before I asked the question, it says the State of Colorado seized the collection. I don't see how SoC instead gets abbreviated to IRS. Then they also say CDR made the inventory of the collection.

Here it is again:

image.png.003bb534c449b5f69bad08d13267579d.png

6 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Well if you actually read the blurb, like I did before I asked the question, it says the State of Colorado seized the collection. I don't see how SoC instead gets abbreviated to IRS. Then they also say CDR made the inventory of the collection.

Here it is again:

image.png.003bb534c449b5f69bad08d13267579d.png

The CDR is apparently tied into the IRS; https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/colorado  IDK why they named it the IRS collection instead of the CDR collection, unless to give it more notoriety.  After all, who outside of Colorado would have known what "CDR" stands for?