• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Ewert book sold on Comiclink - ASM #4 CGC 9.4 $13,000

71 posts in this topic

Slightly rephrased from my original post on this in a different thread...

The ASM # 4 CGC 9.4 that is currently listed as Sale Pending for $13,000 on Comiclink has slab serial number: 0098461001.

Serial # 0098461003 is on the list of Ewert submitted books that is being compiled by BronzeBruce.

I'm not usually one to judge trimming from a scan without a before/after comparison, but this copy actually has "underhang" on portions of the top and bottom edge. I'm simply pointing out the book --- everyone is entitled to form their own opinion.

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.as...B&id=611694

I hope that Josh Nathanson of Comiclink and Steve Borock are able to contact the buyer and recall the book to CGC for evaluation if necessary. I'll contact Josh and Steve about this in addition to posting the info here.

-Jim

It is definately from the same submission. I see this whole Ewert thing as just getting worse and worse.

You know things will get alot worse before it gets better. Since Ewert was such a big dealer his books are everywhere right now. We'll have to weed them out one by one.

Now, this really seems wierd. Take a look at the scans of these books on Comiclink. Paging Dr. Redhook.... do you see any scanner based similarities? All were listed on the same day on Comiclink 8-1-05. I see some similiar line patterns as well as scanner flash. What do you guys think?

Ewerts ASM #4 9.4

RAD392D9200581_18551.jpg

Possible Ewert ASM #4 8.0

RADD80B2200581_111914.jpg

Possible Ewert X-Men #4 9.2

RAD3BE902005729_104929.jpg

I doubt it. The way the slab is positioned at the bottom for the ASM #4 8.0 copy is definitely different than the 9.4 copy. Plus, a nice looking old label 8.0 copy in Ewerts hands would've certainly been worked on and resubmitted to CGC for a higher grade.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that Steve and Josh have both responded to the email I sent them about this book. They were grateful for the lead and will check it out. Additionally, I have referred Josh to BronzeBruce's thread on Ewert's eBay sales data.

Hi Dan,

It was nice meeting in Chicago earlier this year. I love your key party thread in the SA forum!

The 9.0 you linked to is not the same book as the 9.4. It IS, however, the same book as the 9.2 that Doug Schmell pulled from his site when he first learned of these shenanigans, and appears to have been trimmed previously to that re-sub. Unrelated but also of note is that this book began it's life on Heritage as an 8.5.

-Jim

That ASM 4 (9.4) looks trimmed to me.

I hate to pass myself off as some kinda expert on trimming cause I'm not, but from my experience with early 60s marvels those top and bottom edges just look too dang sharp.

Hi Aces,

It's not just that they're too sharp, it's that neither edge has overhang. We haven't located any other scans of the same copy to compare it to, so it's hard to say for sure. My primary intent was to alert Josh and Steve that it was almost definitely a Ewert submitted book. That it looks trimmed was actually a secondary concern of mine.

I am sorry but those 3 books I show are scanned from the same scanner. Look at the line on both scans about 1/4 of an inch from the spider-man logo. It runs all the way down.

Not to mention you can faintly see it on the X-Men.

Oh and look at the far right margin on each book. Bottom corner about halfway, see that white dot on the slab? What are the chances that, that white dot would be on the same spot of 3 seller's scanners.

I knew Josh was lying. This whole Ewert thing is starting to play like

6304708793.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Even the right edge looks trimmed. Why would he just stop with the over hang the scumbum.

In general, PRESSING will give the straight edge approach and make the corners look sharp.

Without a before and after picture of the same book, it's really next to impossible to determine if a book was trimmed, unless there was a large chunk trimmed off.

Of course, this would definitely be a book that I would want rechecked by CGC if I owned it.

I am sorry but those 3 books I show are scanned from the same scanner. Look at the line on both scans about 1/4 of an inch from the spider-man logo. It runs all the way down.

Oh and look at the far right margin on each book. Bottom corner about halfway, see that white dot on the slab? What are the chances that, that white dot would be on the same spot of 3 seller's scanners.

Even if the books were listed by the same person, it doesn't mean it was Jason. We still haven't discovered whether or not that 9.4 copy came from an Ewert submission, but I have a feeling it did. However, the person listing these books could have purchased the 9.4 copy from Ewert 6 months ago and added some other books to his Comiclink listing from his own collection. There are probably many Ewert books out there that are entrenched in people's collections without them having a clue. Once we obtain all the CGC bar code numbers from his previous submissions (including ones from more than just nine months ago), then we'll be able to tell.

6304708793.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Note that this 30 cent variant copy of Marvel Spotlight 28 was bought by Comiclink from Jason Ewert