• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 Comic with Defects
3 3

55 posts in this topic

I just recently bought this 9.8 Thor 337, and looking at it really close in person, spotted 3 defects. One might be a manufacturing error that gets overlooked during grading, but the other two are spine ticks. (Would the first defect be ignored?)

This is the first graded comic I’ve bought, so I just wanted to share to get some insight. Was this comic incredibly lucky to get a 9.8? I’m feeling like submitting this for the Simonson signing would be a mistake.

I've had a lot of Thor 337's graded, and it's hard to get over a 9.6.  These are almost 40 years old now, and manufacturing techniques and handling back then weren't ideal.  I have seen this WORSE in 9.8, but didn't like those that I saw being 9.8, not particularly fond of yours being a 9.8.  But CGC says it's a 9.8, so there's that.

Odds are high that it won't stay a 9.8 if you ever let it out of that case.  I'd pick a different book for a signing.

There are times when it seems quite obvious that the book doesn't quite match the grade, up or down.  A continual problem that no one has found a solution to.  That is why you will hear the war cry "Buy the book, not the grade!"

2 hours ago, Hartie Spence said:

I just recently bought this 9.8 Thor 337, and looking at it really close in person, spotted 3 defects. One might be a manufacturing error that gets overlooked during grading, but the other two are spine ticks. (Would the first defect be ignored?)

This is the first graded comic I’ve bought, so I just wanted to share to get some insight. Was this comic incredibly lucky to get a 9.8? I’m feeling like submitting this for the Simonson signing would be a mistake.

Spine ticks are common. If you want perfect, it’s not going to happen. Maybe on a 9.9 or 10 it would be possible hm

I wouldn't expect it to receive a 9.8 if reslabbed. Its not a 9.8 to me. I see enough 9.8s that could go either way to being a 9.6 This is not one of them. I see 9.8s with 2,3,4 spine ticks but not as bad as the thor usually. Seen a few with 8 10 or 12 ticks but they had to be a mistake. But they sold for normal 9.8 pricing. No returns. 

7 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Spine ticks are common. If you want perfect, it’s not going to happen. Maybe on a 9.9 or 10 it would be possible hm

I’m not worried about getting it perfect. The spine ticks don’t bother me either. I was just curious as this is my first graded book purchase.

I have other books that have a “dot” or two similar to the one I see on this book. Since this book got a 9.8, I was wondering if it might be a manufacturing defect and there might be hope for my other books.

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

9.8's should look like they are right out of the box and placed on the dealer rack.  Sure, 2-3 mild ticks are ok, but they should be barely visible, not with color breaks.  I have 9.6 comics that are cleaner than this 9.8.

Do you have any idea/past experience with the first defect? The little ink dot?

1 hour ago, Hartie Spence said:

I’m not worried about getting it perfect. The spine ticks don’t bother me either. I was just curious as this is my first graded book purchase.

I have other books that have a “dot” or two similar to the one I see on this book. Since this book got a 9.8, I was wondering if it might be a manufacturing defect and there might be hope for my other books.

That "dot" likely didn't affect the grade at all...the color breaking spine stress did.  ;)

8 hours ago, Hartie Spence said:

No one really knows the difference between 9.6 to 9.8. We can only guess what a 9.8 should be.

I’ve seen better 9.6 copies than 9.8.

Pre screen service works the best, if your only looking for 9.8, you can have  anything less rejected. 

It gets confusing if you’re approaching this from the perspective of overall presentation.  For example, this book might have pages that look newsstand fresh, exceptional cover gloss and flatness to compensate for the small spine defects:  genuine structural grading according to CGC’s criteria rather than a gift grade.

It’s a grey area that doesn’t work for me and why I’ve been happy buying cheaper, lower number copies with exceptional appearance.

Edited by Ken Aldred