• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why????

Does NELSON have a daughter?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Does NELSON have a daughter?

24 posts in this topic

Why do I get these kinds of buyers?

Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:33:40 PM EDT

To: dcusimano@usa.net

Subject: TEEN TITANS #4#6

HELLO, my daughter has been sick and we have been in and out of the hospital with her,she needs surgery involving her heart, will it be ok if i can send the money order out this thursday,sorry and thanks ,NELSON

I voted no...since the guy obviously had time to do the Ebay thing...and how long does it take to lick a stamp... smirk.gif

Note: just because I voted no does not mean that I think you are a gullible scumbag

I find it most amusing that in the midst of a life or death crisis, this guy finds the time to bid on a few comics.

HOSPITAL - OPERATING ROOM

A doctor paces, flipping a scalpel between his fingers.

DOCTOR: Dammit nurse, we need that release form. Where is that chump?

CHUMP'S HOUSE

A man sits by a computer, giggling hysterically.

CHUMP: Hehehehehe. Come to pappa donut-man, gonna get me some of those sweet, sweet comics. Hehehehe

I personally hate it when the seller only accepts money orders or personal checks. Taking time off from work or heading to the Post Office/Bank to get a money order is basically time wasted. I've been known to use BidPay and pay the extra fee just to get around having to get a money order.

Other times I've sent the personal check the next day, then sent the e-mail notifying the seller that I've sent the check, only to get a response that they'll hold sending my package for TWO weeks after they receive the check to make sure that it clears. (In the meantime, my bank will show that the check has cleared less than a week later although they STILL won't send the package until two or three weeks have passed.)

All this for a $10 purchase.

I can;t vote. I refuse to conform to the limited choices.

OK ladies and germs - just flew in from Boston and are my arms tired - ok ::ahem:: - err can you link to the auction? Or if you prefer not to, has the buyer had any more ebay activity?

On the one hand you'd think that if his daughter really was having surgery would he have the time, or even care to bid on stuff on ebay?

On the other hand, I can't see why he would make up something that extreme inorder to delay a $15 payment until Thursday.

Either way, I'd just let it go.

Donut,

There is a MAJOR health crisis in the ebay community. Like SARS, it is highly contagious. The primary symptom is a hospital stay that coincides with the end of an auction. I've had a number of hospitalized bidders, none of whom want to pay in a timely manner -- or at all (though the promises are never-ending. I have an ex-hospitilized bidder who won a comic in November who continues to email me with promises of payment even though he's NARU'd, I've gotten my FVF, and the book is now in my ebay store).

And then there are the hospitilized bidders who pay by personal check. For those who don't know about me, I don't accept personal checks, and state so in about 17 places in my auctions, yet I am the proud recipient of floods of personal checks. Sometimes, when I've contacted them, I am told that a personal check was sent because the bidder was in the hospital. I don't quite understand the link between these two apparently unrelated things, but bidders are quite convinced there is one. More than once, I've been told "I was in the hospital last week so of course I had to send a personal check instead of a money order." The latest who said this told me the approx. dates of her stay, which allowed me to look up her bid history. Amazing that the hospital allowed her to bid on ebay whilst incapacitated, isn't it?

And yet, in each case, I respond with sympathy and well wishes peppering my emails, along with requests to a) honor the bid, b) do it in a timely manner and c) pay in accordance with my auction rules. I'm not going to accuse a stranger of lying. But I'm not going to be a sucker, either.

-- Joanna

only to get a response that they'll hold sending my package for TWO weeks after they receive the check to make sure that it clears. (In the meantime, my bank will show that the check has cleared less than a week later although they STILL won't send the package until two or three weeks have passed.)

This is one of the reasons I don't take personal checks. My bank told me that they could not guarantee a check to have cleared until 15 days had passed, even if the money shows up in my account. So I would have to hold an order for 2 weeks -- something I know would tick off the bidder. I am also charged a fee of $20 if I deposit a check that bounces. Something that would tick me off in a major way if it happened. So to avoid all this ticking, I don't accept personal checks. Doesn't mean I don't get them CONSTANTLY, but that's another matter (that ticks me off -- such a pattern!).

-- Joanna

Yeah. I have run into the contagious eBay health malady as well.

One time I bought something from a guy who never sent me my stuff because(his "wife" said) he was in jail.

When some people have ot actually be honest - it is amazing the incredible things that happen to prevent them from doing so.

Pov,

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

And thank you. I am still at "talkative", due to my inactivity. This is not a good place to be for so long. I'm supposed to be working right now, but I'm in avoidance mode. So I came a'runnin' to the forum. Found some threads full controversy and contentiousness, so I know all is well. It's good to be back.

-- Joanna

I'm in avoidance mode. So I came a'runnin' to the forum. Found some threads full controversy and contentiousness, so I know all is well. It's good to be back.

No no! Not "avoidance" mode. "Importance" mode - it is just that the mundane aspects of life sometimes pull at us and we must heed. We got your back, Joanna! But when the days come you can just settle back and read ALL those old posts - phew! You are in for some mighty fine eating! grin.gif

Pov,

This is the forum. There is no need to read old posts, because the arguments will be repeated in new posts. It's that kind of rock-steady constincency that I love about this place. I am happily wallowing tonight in all the goings-on (though avoiding the water cooler, as usual. That place is dark and there is gum on the floor).

I suppose I should stop ruining my beloved Donut's thread. Though he may be writing get well cards, and hasn't noticed.

-- Joanna

I wished people would stop being so cynical .... I recently had brain surgery and am recovering from it so people *do* have to go to the hospital. Atlthough I will admit, I'm usually very good about paying for auctions , especially if they accept Paypal.

Discount,

I am by nature far from cynical. But when I hear the word "hospital" as an explanation for so many NPBs, late payments and personal checks, even my trusting nature breaks down.

The guy who won the auction in November (and is still writing every couple of weeks, telling me payment is on the way) was in the hospital for brain surgery. The woman who bids while hospitilized didn't specify her ailment. Another possible NPB said it was his wife. And the list goes on and on.

Actually, there was one guy who was telling the truth. His father was the bidder, and didn't pay. After I filed the NPB paperwork, the son paid off the auction, asking that the comic not be sent because his dad was hospitilized and "wouldn't need it anymore". That one broke my heart.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

-- Joanna

I recently requested a refund on a book and was given the line, "...will gladly give a refund, but since my daughter's in the hospital (spleen surgery, I think) AND I sold this book for a friend of mine, it may take some time before I can get the money to you."

I then find he re-listed the book I returned back on ebay BEFORE any money is sent. Why? Because "I plan on refunding you with money from the 2nd sale. I can not afford to pay you out of pocket." The budget-busting amount? $35.

Well, after a coupla these

frown.giffrown.gif

a few of these

crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

and a LOT of these

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I did get my refund- minus the s/h of course.

I'd paste the emails here, but I wouldn't want to upset anybody. tongue.gif

Rick