• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place to consign my registry set of 140+ slabs?
4 4

16 posts in this topic

I'm at the point where I'm ready to sell my award winning Runaways Registry set of approximately 140 slabs. 

I'm looking for suggestions on the best place to consign these items - either selling them as one big collection or 4-5 smaller groupings. I don't want the headache of trying to sell them on eBay so I'd prefer to have a consignee handle the sale. What are my best options in terms of consignees who will bring the most value from the sale while also providing a nice customer service experience for the consignor?

"spawn" might be a different breed than runaways

but mycomicshop might even buy them out right, it's worth it just to call and find out options

I'm sure someone will be along with alternatives :) 

GLWTS :wishluck: 

30 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Thanks. Looks like the commission rate for what I'm trying to sell would be 25% which is quite high...

Yes, lots have a 25% commission.  I think "lots" generally means runs of raw comics requiring a lot of work on the part of mycomicshop - grading each comic, tons of photos, relatively inexpensive items creating a poor return vs. time investment.

But it is possible your collection of CGC graded comics could be defined as a lot, so you might want to find out if that is true.  Este will be able to help you, she's the best.

Este Bagato
Consignment Director
Phone 817-701-0702 available 9:00AM-5:00PM CST, Monday-Friday
Email consign@mycomicshop.com

You might also consider that once you decide to consign, selling them individually might also work out, 10% / 8% commission.  After getting them to mcs and setting prices, it's all on them.  No work for you - no packing and shipping to multiple buyers.  Maybe less reason to group or sell as a complete collection. 

You'd get a stream of checks as they sell, and that flow will depend on how aggressively you set the prices.

1 hour ago, mycomicshop said:

Sounds like I should look at clarifying that if that’s the impression it gave you. The 25% commission for “multi item lots” refers to groups of low value run comics that wouldn’t be worth enough to be consign-able individually, but can be grouped together and sold as a single lot in our auction. 

Any CGC graded comic is automatically eligible for consignment as a single item, they would never need to be grouped together in a multi item lot.

Our commission is 8% for auction, or for buy it now sale it’s 10% for the first $300 and 8% past $300. Our commission is capped at $1000 per item, so anything above around $13K where the cap kicks in the you end up with an effective commission below 8%.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or text/call me at 512-808-7099. We’d definitely be a great home for a registry set. We can buy the whole set or take them for consignment. We pay very competitive prices for slab collections and keys, but unless you want the immediacy of an instant all-cash sale, you’ll be able to make more consigning. 

If you added this exact text above to your Consignment page, "Any CGC graded comic is automatically eligible for consignment as a single item, they would never need to be grouped together in a multi item lot.", it would definitely remove that question from people's minds. 

As it stands, a person might conclude that a "lot" could be a group of any comics, raw or graded, valuable or inexpensive.  It's a pretty generic term.

But what if someone wants to auction off a group of CGC books as a lot, not sold separately?  Like a set of CGC graded Venom: Lethal Protector 1-6.  Is that something mcs can do???

8 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

If you added this exact text above to your Consignment page, "Any CGC graded comic is automatically eligible for consignment as a single item, they would never need to be grouped together in a multi item lot.", it would definitely remove that question from people's minds. 

As it stands, a person might conclude that a "lot" could be a group of any comics, raw or graded, valuable or inexpensive.  It's a pretty generic term.

But what if someone wants to auction off a group of CGC books as a lot, not sold separately?  Like a set of CGC graded Venom: Lethal Protector 1-6.  Is that something mcs can do???

Except in extremely unusual circumstances (never to almost never), we aren't interested in grouping multiple slabs together for sale as a single unit. Once or twice I've heard a seller express that because they value a particular run or set highly and it took them effort to put it together, they'd like to sell the group as a single set. But I believe that in the vast majority of cases the seller will make less money selling a single set than if he or she sold the items individually.

3 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

Except in extremely unusual circumstances (never to almost never), we aren't interested in grouping multiple slabs together for sale as a single unit. Once or twice I've heard a seller express that because they value a particular run or set highly and it took them effort to put it together, they'd like to sell the group as a single set. But I believe that in the vast majority of cases the seller will make less money selling a single set than if he or she sold the items individually.

I think I would be in the camp of wanting to sell everything as a unit. I'm not too keen on breaking up the run and I actually think there's more value in the set than trying to sell them individually. 

11 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

I think I would be in the camp of wanting to sell everything as a unit. I'm not too keen on breaking up the run and I actually think there's more value in the set than trying to sell them individually. 

I truly wish this were the case, but it's never how it works in practice.  I have never seen a buyer pay a premium for a set, even though it would make logical sense to do so based on the time they'd be saving.  Most buyers either want to cherry-pick individual issues in the run or believe they're entitled to a discount because they're doing you a favor by taking the whole set off your hands.

28 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I truly wish this were the case, but it's never how it works in practice.  I have never seen a buyer pay a premium for a set, even though it would make logical sense to do so based on the time they'd be saving.  Most buyers either want to cherry-pick individual issues in the run or believe they're entitled to a discount because they're doing you a favor by taking the whole set off your hands.

This makes some sense, but my counter would be if this: There are handful of key issues in this run that the "general" collector would be interested in, but the set is about 90% non-key issues. If anyone is interested in those non-key issues it's because they're trying to put a full CGC 9.8 set together. If that's the case, heres the whole set available with the click of a button. If that theoretical run collector doesn't exist then I'd prefer to just keep the set intact rather than have the few key issues be cherrypicked while the other 90% go unsold.

24 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

it's because they're trying to put a full CGC 9.8 set together. If that's the case, heres the whole set available with the click of a button.

And therefore they probably already have some of the issues from the set on hand and will not bid high since they'd receive duplicates. So, even if they exist, they would not push the price higher and unbundling the books still is what makes the most sense.