• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As you wait for CGC to grade your books - How do you feel when a daily email arrives announcing another private signing?
4 4

87 posts in this topic

Is there information on the graders?…Like their background on comic collecting (If they collected at all).  I know when CGC first started out we used to know who the graders were.
Is CGC just hiring anybody off the street with no ties to comic books at all?  I'm just curious.  

2 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Is there information on the graders?…Like their background on comic collecting (If they collected at all).  I know when CGC first started out we used to know who the graders were.
Is CGC just hiring anybody off the street with no ties to comic books at all?  I'm just curious.  

They had a thread for what they looked for in a new hire

They are vetted, I'm sure this thread is just for starters for applicants and doesnt begin to describe

There are alternatives to CGC, frustrating as it is to have such long TATs.

The "line-cutting" of various special events, special customers and the fast-trackers is obviously frustrating. But so are the folks who send in almost every single new hot-off-the-rack modern soon-to-be-drek book on the hopes of a future 1st appearance making them rich. Both clog the grading lanes. 

But doing a few searches of books graded in a week on CGCdata.com reveals that many thousands of books are graded each week, that easily averages to faster than one book per minute (if grading 12hrs/day 6days/week). In the last week of April, over 1200 X-men books, over 1000 Bat or Sup books, almost 3000 spider-man books, and many hundreds (or couple thousand) others were graded as well. It's could be even more than that I bet. There is a firehose of books flowing through CGC each week. 

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

I teach at a college and a couple years ago I made a "Lucy in the candy factory" reference.... crickets. No one knew the reference. 

sad

1 hour ago, K.P.D. said:

Yeah I'm familiar with the first 8 people listed but after that I'm not sure. I know Bradley Bradley started as just a regular poster here (thumbsu

Bradley was cool.  He used to pop in and help answer our questions all the time. 

3 hours ago, K.P.D. said:

Cool, thanks. 

Interesting, it seems like graders (at least some) specialize in certain ages of books (BA/CA/Mod) while others may specialize in GA/SA books. 

I would think that graders would be assigned within certain grade ranges rather than book years. Like for instance, suppose graders get a slog of 30-40 low-grade 2.0-4.0s then an 8.0 book pops up, to the eye that just saw 30-40 low grade books, that 8.0 might look like a 8.5 or a 9.0+. Likewise, suppose graders see a long train of 9.4+ books then a 6.0 pops up. Compared to the recent long train of HG books in that same era, that 6.0 might seem more like a 5.0ish. 

I wonder if graders assigned general grade-range books (low-grade, midgrade, high-grade) would be more consistent in grading books? Having a screener first set the books into each general grade-range prior to actual grading, then low-grade, mid-grade and high-grade graders wouldn't be seeing all sorts of various condition books that could possibly subconsciously affect their grading. I mean, the human mind does make errors. 

Or maybe that is the way it's done. (shrug)

Edited by jcjames

13 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:
33 minutes ago, jcjames said:

8.0 book pops up, to the eye that just saw 30-40 low grade books, that 8.0 might look like a 8.5 or a 9.0+. Likewise, suppose graders see a long train of 9.4+ books then a 6.0 pops up. Compared to the recent long train of HG books in that same era, that 6.0 might seem more like a 5.0ish. 

Expand  

I think this is one reason they have a Finalizer:

"The last grader, called the finalizer, will assign the final grade and page quality of each comic book, conferring with other graders as necessary to reach a consensus."

Having a finalizer is a lot better than having graders to assign graders their books to grade...

Also it goes by year because a stack of value or economy books might have one or 2 moderns in the stack. That is why there is a tier for moderns that are more always high grade.

Better that than a economy with a bunch of 9.4 bronze and one lone 6.0 but idk

edit: that and you can't split up someones submission to go to a different grader just cause it looks 6.0 rather than 9.4

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

……did I receive 2 or 3 emails today about private signings? 
I don’t know, cause it seems like Groundhog Day now and I just swipe left like every other day since the bombardment started.

Great post OP👏

Edited by Icculus308win