• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received a book that is partially stuck between the "walls" of the inner enclosure - opinion? SCS?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, BabyAteMyDingo said:

What is your recourse if CGC damages your book? They must offer replacement value?

These books were bought online from different stores.  I'm not sure what CGC's policy is if a book arrives damaged directly from them; I (thankfully) haven't had to deal with that.

2 minutes ago, isiTrue said:

These books were bought online from different stores.  I'm not sure what CGC's policy is if a book arrives damaged directly from them; I (thankfully) haven't had to deal with that.

CGC will only offer a fee reholder service if the purchased slab has the wrong label. For damage done to books by CGC, it's up to the original submitter to inform CGC of the damage done within 10 days (or more, I forget) of reception.

Edited by William-James88

20 hours ago, lostboys said:

These sellers know what they're doing. Return it and be aggressive about it. It's gonna hurt because you probably got a great deal but it was all part of the plan. These slabs should have been returned to CGC by the original owner but they probably didn't wanna wait another 3 months for a reholder. Instead they sell em to us.

Return them...no mercy!

That's what adds to the frustration; that I found these books for a GREAT price.

I don't blame the sellers because pictures of the books on their websites looked fine.  They have been easy to deal with regarding accepting the return as well.  I requested a prepaid return label for the Spawn book since I paid to have it shipped to me, and he sent me one.  The WofS book had free shipping, so I'll pay for the return as it's only fair. 

So, at least there's no hassle with the return process.

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks, my bad for not reading properly.

Ok this changes things, what confused me is the OP said there was no damage but that's not true. There has been damage, the product recieved is not as it was portrayed, no matter where the damage happened.

So @isiTrue, ignore what I wrote previously, what you must do now is contact the seller and return the product. You do not want this slab in your collection.

Agreed

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

CGC will only offer a fee reholder service if the purchased slab has the wrong label. For damage done to books by CGC, it's up to the original submitter to inform CGC of the damage done within 10 days (or more, I forget) of reception.

Good to know, thanks. 

And if I am the original submitter?  Do they cover the value of the book?  How does that work?

11 minutes ago, isiTrue said:

Maybe it's insured.  Hopefully we never need find out first hand.

Is CGC an LLC? If so, they can beg off paying for damage the encapsulators cause. Since comic books are a legitimate economy now (plenty of proof to support that), perhaps the books can be insured while they are out of our hands for awhile. It's expensive for us but if CGC won't compensate for at least points lost on a book, it's up to us to protect our investment. I wonder if CGC had to start dealing with insurance companies or perhaps lawyers if they would see fit to ensure damage is kept to an absolute minimum.

2 hours ago, isiTrue said:

And if I am the original submitter?  Do they cover the value of the book?  How does that work?

If you are the original submitter and have some type of problem with the slab you receive, you just contact customer service.  If it's a cracked slab, a corner affected by encapsulation, a comic slipping in position in the slab, plastic particle floating in the case etc., they will usually help you out.

You have to report it within a certain amount of business days - I can't remember if it's 10 or 14.  They will approve the return called a Mechanical Error (or NOT approve it, depending on circumstances), and provide a shipping label for you to return it.  Then they correct the problem, if possible, and return it to you at no charge.

Your comics are insured while they are at CGC, so if something goes wrong that causes damage, or if they are stolen, you are covered.  It's included in the grading fee.  The comics are not insured by CGC on their way to the facility.  That is up to you through the carrier or private insurance.

If you get them back by Registered Mail, they will have coverage through USPS for the Declared Value that you assigned on the submission form.  FedEx or UPS has only $100 coverage for the trip back to you.

I have sent back quite a few comics due to some of the aforementioned reasons - but I get a lot graded.  It's like 1 out of every 25 that has a problem, which would be 4%.  Stuff happens.

Edited by Lightning55

Most people pack slabs completely wrong. They pack them like they would pack raw books, nice and tight, so the slab doesn't move. (tsk)

If the slab doesn't move a bit, the book does. That's how SCS happens. Like a concussion, where your skull stops, but your brain doesn't.

Packing a slab needs "soft wall" technology (see auto racing). The packing material must give a bit, let the slab move, and slow the slab down as the material compresses, taking away the momentum from the book inside.

Milwaukee-Mile_Aug2009_wall.jpg

12 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Your comics are insured while they are at CGC, so if something goes wrong that causes damage, or if they are stolen, you are covered.

Is that right? It seems I have read several threads here concerning damages that occurred at CGC at their hands and the books were not insured. At least the members who began the thread were not happy at all. They were not telling the tale of a satisfied customer. If it were meself, I would carefully read the threads about what happens if my book is damaged.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:44 PM, lostboys said:

These sellers know what they're doing. Return it and be aggressive about it. It's gonna hurt because you probably got a great deal but it was all part of the plan. These slabs should have been returned to CGC by the original owner but they probably didn't wanna wait another 3 months for a reholder. Instead they sell em to us.

Return them...no mercy!

Years ago, there was a boardie who dumped all of his overgraded or "discount" books here on the boards, and refused refunds.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, isiTrue said:

I am so pissed off right now.  It's even worse than the Spawn book.  How does this even happen?

Didn't you see this in the pics from the sellers? hm

17 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

It's like 1 out of every 25 that has a problem, which would be 4%.  Stuff happens.

I personally, don't think this is acceptable. The problem should be dealt with when first recognized - these shouldn't be going out the door like this.

17 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

If you are the original submitter and have some type of problem with the slab you receive, you just contact customer service.  If it's a cracked slab, a corner affected by encapsulation, a comic slipping in position in the slab, plastic particle floating in the case etc., they will usually help you out.

You have to report it within a certain amount of business days - I can't remember if it's 10 or 14.  They will approve the return called a Mechanical Error (or NOT approve it, depending on circumstances), and provide a shipping label for you to return it.  Then they correct the problem, if possible, and return it to you at no charge.

Your comics are insured while they are at CGC, so if something goes wrong that causes damage, or if they are stolen, you are covered.  It's included in the grading fee.  The comics are not insured by CGC on their way to the facility.  That is up to you through the carrier or private insurance.

If you get them back by Registered Mail, they will have coverage through USPS for the Declared Value that you assigned on the submission form.  FedEx or UPS has only $100 coverage for the trip back to you.

I have sent back quite a few comics due to some of the aforementioned reasons - but I get a lot graded.  It's like 1 out of every 25 that has a problem, which would be 4%.  Stuff happens.

Good info, thanks.

14 hours ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Most people pack slabs completely wrong. They pack them like they would pack raw books, nice and tight, so the slab doesn't move. (tsk)

If the slab doesn't move a bit, the book does. That's how SCS happens. Like a concussion, where your skull stops, but your brain doesn't.

Packing a slab needs "soft wall" technology (see auto racing). The packing material must give a bit, let the slab move, and slow the slab down as the material compresses, taking away the momentum from the book inside.

This makes sense, finding the right balance is key.  Snug, but not "too" snug. 

And one should never use paper as padding for heavy packages.  I received a few international packages that had ruined books because the seller didn't realize the paper padding will compress and let the books slide around, slamming into the sides.

20 minutes ago, divad said:

Didn't you see this in the pics from the sellers? hm

The pics looked fine and didn't show any of this shifting or damage.

17 minutes ago, divad said:

I personally, don't think this is acceptable. The problem should be dealt with when first recognized - these shouldn't be going out the door like this.

Agreed.  1 in 25 is too high of an error rate to not be addressed, especially for valuable collectibles that are limited in number.  Then there's the hassle of dealing with something like this on a regular basis.

I recall reading years ago that PGX doesn't have these problems.  Is this true? 

If they have a different inner well design that is patented, CGC should just buy them out and use it themselves.

1 hour ago, divad said:

1 hour ago, divad said:

Years ago, there was a boardie who dumped all of his overgraded or "discount" books here on the boards, and refused refunds.

Damn.

Whats an overgraded book ?

5 hours ago, K.P.D. said:

Aye. What determines "reasonable"? While reading some threads, I have not encountered an owner who said "I am happy with what they offered me in terms of compensation". I must assume the compensation would be in terms of point differences. Perhaps if a book WAS a 9.0 but it was damaged by the encapsulator and brought it to 8.0, the sum would reflect the grade point lost?

It sounds too ambiguous for this old man. I am happy with mylar and backing boards. And top loaders, too!

2 hours ago, lostboys said:

Damn.

Whats an overgraded book ?

At various times through their history CGC's graders have "screwed the pooch" on a grade here and there. These books get sold over and over again, as no one in their right (fiscal) mind would pay up for that grade in the upper right corner, only to receive a book that was a full grade under that mark . . . :whistle: