• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received a book that is partially stuck between the "walls" of the inner enclosure - opinion? SCS?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently received a CGC 9.8 Spawn #70 that has the upper left corner area stuck inside the case.  I presume that this happened while in transit to me.

I tried tapping it back into place, but it didn't move one bit. 

I read about a potential fix that involves sticking a piece of cardboard from the top of the case to relieve some pressure, but didn't want to risk cracking the slab in case I need to return it.  Therefore, I only applied some force using my fingers.  No effect.

What would you do?  Return it to the seller? (They said that they'd take it back.)  Or, is there a fix?  I'm not sure if it's worth pressing and having it reholdered.

I'm concerned that the cover may be coming loose when comparing it to photos of the book as listed online.  The top staple looks a bit impacted as well.  And then there's the pressure/indent mark from being stuck between two pieces of plastic.

Please let me know what you think.  The first two pictures are what the book looked like online.  Thank you.

spawn 70 front 1.jpg

spawn 70 back 1.jpg

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

It hurts me to see this :cry:

Definitely don't try to 'bop' it out - if you do that you could cause the inner pages to pull away from the cover/staple (top staple in particular).  Like the poster above, I recommend returning it to the seller and have them send it to CGC for fixing.  It's clearly wedged in the part of the case that should never have that happen.  It's possible that a re-holder from CGC will fix the issue and the book could be unharmed but that's something you should have the seller do unless you want to assume the risk of it dropping a grade and send it in to CGC yourself.

Good luck, whatever you decide and I'm sorry you're dealing with this! 

:ph34r:R

PS - I don't think you can wedge anything in between the new style cases.  What you read was most likely from the old cases as they had 'wiggle' room if the cases weren't completely sealed in the middle.

Edited by Sensei Ryan

31 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Return it.

Agreed.  Instead of you potentially spending money to have a reholder done for that book, send it back and let the seller deal with it.  You obviously know the inherent risk involved in trying to fix it yourself...unless you want to spend money getting a reholder.  It's a no-brainer to me. lol  Good luck!!! (thumbsu

Thanks for the responses.  I was leaning towards returning the book, and now it's confirmed.  Disappointing, I was looking forward to this book.

A new development:

I just received another order, another 9.8 in the new style case.  IT'S ALSO WEDGED IN BETWEEN THE PLASTIC WALLS. 

I am so pissed off right now.  It's even worse than the Spawn book.  How does this even happen?

This is looking more and more like a defect with some of the slabs to me.  Granted, I don't have a large sample size to base this off of, but I've never had this happen... and now two in one week?

The Spawn book arrived with two other slabs and a raw book.  The other books are fine.

Web of Spider-Man was a single purchase.

Both were well-packed with bubble wrap.  Boxes weren't destroyed or had any gouges.

So pissed.

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

1 minute ago, isiTrue said:

Thanks for the responses.  I was leaning towards returning the book, and now it's confirmed.  Disappointing, I was looking forward to this book.

A new development:

I just received another order, another 9.8 in the new style case.  IT'S ALSO WEDGED IN BETWEEN THE PLASTIC WALLS. 

I am so pissed off right now.  It's even worse than the Spawn book.  How does this even happen?

This is looking more and more like a defect with some of the slabs to me.  Granted, I don't have a large sample size to base this off of, but I've never had this happen... and now two in one week?

The Spawn book arrived with two other slabs and a raw book.  The other books are fine.

Web of Spider-Man was a single purchase.

Both were well-packed with bubble wrap.  Boxes weren't destroyed or had any gouges.

So pissed.

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I see this all the time, All you have to do is hit the opposite side of the slab in the palm of you hand, it'll move back into where it's supposed to be. Don't worry, it won't damage the book inside. 

I tried that, too.  It didn't move at all and is quite stuck between the plastic.  I don't want to add too much force because even if it were to come loose, it could very well slam into the opposite side as a result.  Not to mention that the top staple and cover looks a bit shifted compared to the "before" image of the Spawn book.

Web of Spider-Man is a lost cause; too much corner damage to be a 9.8 anymore.

These sellers know what they're doing. Return it and be aggressive about it. It's gonna hurt because you probably got a great deal but it was all part of the plan. These slabs should have been returned to CGC by the original owner but they probably didn't wanna wait another 3 months for a reholder. Instead they sell em to us.

Return them...no mercy!

10 hours ago, Galen130 said:
10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

It happens when your quality control is excrement

For a second there, I thought you typed excitement...doh!

Sometimes I get excited after a "movement" but .......... uh TMI? Sorry

9 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Do they look different in the images you saw of the product before you purchased them?

"The first two pictures are what the book looked like online."

Seems like they did look different, according to the first post.  So maybe not CGC's doing.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

"The first two pictures are what the book looked like online."

Seems like they did look different, according to the first post.  So maybe not CGC's doing.

Thanks, my bad for not reading properly.

Ok this changes things, what confused me is the OP said there was no damage but that's not true. There has been damage, the product recieved is not as it was portrayed, no matter where the damage happened.

So @isiTrue, ignore what I wrote previously, what you must do now is contact the seller and return the product. You do not want this slab in your collection.