• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC slabs with custom labels ever hold more value?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what collectors' opinions are on this. I've noticed on eBay that a lot of CGC slabbed comics with custom labels have a higher asking price. I've heard some say that they believe custom labels are just a gimmick, while others are of the opinion that custom labels detract from the cover art of the slabbed comic. I'm still in the air as to what to believe. But, I'm wondering if custom labels will ever become more desirable once they're discontinued?

It's a cool thing for some books.  It doesn't add value to the book, it just adds value to the slab.  Granted, they go hand in hand when comparing on gpa.  I might be willing to pay a $5 to $15 premium depending on my opinion of the book and how badly I want the custom label.  But for the most part, it doesn't even cross my mind.  If it has a custom label great, if not, i'd rather save myself some money and get an OG label.  All I'm really interested in is the grade of the book, not some CGC label.

I think if they’re on appropriate books they get a premium right now.  In most cases the premium is between $1-$10, but a premium is a premium.

On 6/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

I've noticed on eBay that a lot of CGC slabbed comics with custom labels have a higher asking price. I've heard some say that they believe custom labels are just a gimmick, while others are of the opinion that custom labels detract from the cover art of the slabbed comic.

lol Will this madness ever end? Premium for custom labels? What a joke. 

28 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

Not worth any premium in my opinion, are they not even original art to CGC?

Not sure, some might be but I dont think it matters. I added it to some of my submissions but just because I felt it embellished my cherished collectible,  not to resell it at a premium. It MIGHT be worth it on more common books only to have a customer choose the version you are selling over others,  with every other factor (grade, price) being equal.

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Not sure, some might be but I dont think it matters. I added it to some of my submissions but just because I felt it embellished my cherished collectible,  not to resell it at a premium. It MIGHT be worth it on more common books only to have a customer choose the version you are selling over others,  with every other factor (grade, price) being equal.

I think it would be worth a premium if it was original art to CGC for that label exclusively & not recycled from somewhere else.  I can understand the appeal but not enough to pay $500 more.