• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken Slab and Writing in Book Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have 2 questions.  First scenario is a slab gets shattered so bad with sharp edges that I have to take the inner unsealed well out in order to protect the book.  Since it is still in the sealed inner well with the grade, can I just reholder this or does the book need to go back and get regraded? I'm guessing the latter since while the book is sealed, the grade paper is not and can be removed so I imagine people could do some trickery there (which begs the question why not seal that as well)

If I have a book where someone wrote their name on the splash page, not an autograph just whoever owned the book, I know that is probably a little flaw, but I just want to make sure that would still qualify for a Blue Label and not a Green label.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

1.  Probably needs to be regraded, you can post a picture or send one to Cgc to get a better opinion 

2.  In any event, you can specify you want all signatures to be graded as defects to get a blue instead of green, doesn’t matter if who the signature is or where it is placed.  You can contact Cgc for the best way to do this on your submission forms  

3 hours ago, Croatbag said:

First scenario is a slab gets shattered so bad

Okay, I'll ask...what were you doing?  Stress testing?

3 hours ago, Croatbag said:

while the book is sealed, the grade paper is not and can be removed so I imagine people could do some trickery there

Can I also ask if it looks like it's possible to remove the grade paper without the shatter?

19 hours ago, Croatbag said:

Hello,

I have 2 questions.  First scenario is a slab gets shattered so bad with sharp edges that I have to take the inner unsealed well out in order to protect the book.  Since it is still in the sealed inner well with the grade, can I just reholder this or does the book need to go back and get regraded? I'm guessing the latter since while the book is sealed, the grade paper is not and can be removed so I imagine people could do some trickery there (which begs the question why not seal that as well)

If I have a book where someone wrote their name on the splash page, not an autograph just whoever owned the book, I know that is probably a little flaw, but I just want to make sure that would still qualify for a Blue Label and not a Green label.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

1. It will be regraded.
  2. Universal label.