• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Owners of CGC
8 8

216 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Qalyar said:

Their real estate division is pretty awful. Their investment management branch is less obviously malicious; many of their purchased companies have done quite well since acquisition.

Still the same umbrella right?  The left hand knows what the right is doing?

Someone very, very close to me works in one of their California offices…:eyeroll:

That said, it’s probably good for CGC to have that much money behind them for future plans but I’m not sure if the current CGC heads will be in alignment with what Blackstone’s interest may be. Kind of like when a new owner takes over a sports team and sometimes works with the current coach and sometimes replaces them for not having the same “vision”. The sheer fact it’s Blackstone buying them shows the slabbing industry and collectible comics are on the radar of whales of business these days…

6 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I wonder if CGC has plans to go public now?

The Certified Collectibles Group (CGC)

NYSE - NYSE Delayed Price. Currency in USD
Add to watchlist

6 hours ago, thunsicker said:
6 hours ago, fifties said:

I may be behind the curve (as usual), but;

Blackstone (NYSE:BX) announced today that funds managed by its Tactical Opportunities business (“Blackstone”) have agreed to acquire a majority stake in the Certified Collectibles Group (“CCG”)

Is CGC the same entity as CCG?

CCG is the parent company for CGC (Comics), NGC (Coins), PMG (Paper Money), ASG (Stamps), CSG (Sports Cards), CCS(Comics Conservation), etc., etc.

Or to put it in more simplified non-business terms...........CGC is like a grain of sand, while CCG is the sandbox which CGC's grain of sand resides in, and the Blackstone Group is the the entire beach which CCG's sandbox resides in.  :bigsmile:

From the report, it sounds as though this transaction places a value on CCG of more than $500M, while the market cap of the Blackstone Group itself which trades on the NYSE is approaching $120B.  :gossip:

6 hours ago, G G ® ™ said:

Why do I get the feeling, none of this will benefit the collector?  hm

Well, nothing to see here then as didn't we already find this out back in 2005 when the collecting base found out it was really all about the top and bottom lines for the ownership group at CCG.  :gossip:

Especially since everything they've put in place to date has serve only to reinforce this point here.  :devil:

Not so sure about the comic book hobby itself, but most definitely better for the comic book marketplace that CGC is here. (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I can’t disagree.

but knowing what we now know, I wonder if the relaxed grading on the Promise Collection, which helped create a $22 million auction, was part of a mating ritual between suitor and bride

Well, someone ended up getting :censored:.