• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 CGC 9.6

132 posts in this topic

While i dont think there is a silver age book that can crack 300,000 , these are the books that i think can...

mile high action1

8.5 action 1 in slab

Allentown detective 27

Mile high marvel 1

Allentown Marvel 1 ?

Flash comics #1 ..9.6 Mile High

Whiz #1..Mile high copy...sold for huge bucks years ago D.A sold to S.G..

Note//

I dont believe the 8.0 superman 1 would make it.It was restored,its now unrestored,but its notes will still say[work has been done to it].i believe this has to affect it reaching this level.I do believe there is a better copy out there and anything above 8.0 will get there.

Theres probably an unslabbed batman 1 out there above 9.0 that would reach this plateau, i really believe that.

I believe the 7.5 action 1 might make it[its in a blue holder and sold for 194k,, 3 years ago, but it has a dot of either glue or color touch, i cant remember, i have to look at the slab again

So maybe there are 10 goldenage books that can reach this level.Did i miss any?

Buy the way, dont be shocked when j.ps pay copy marvel 1 fails to hit 300,000.

[didnt he pay 350k?] You cannot flip these big books anymore.There just at to lofty a level for that to work anymore.You have to hold these types of books for the long term nowadays to make it profitible.

While i dont think there is a silver age book that can crack 300,000 , these are the books that i think can...

mile high action1

8.5 action 1 in slab

Allentown detective 27

Mile high marvel 1

Allentown Marvel 1 ?

Flash comics #1 ..9.6 Mile High

Whiz #1..Mile high copy...sold for huge bucks years ago D.A sold to S.G..

I agree with your candidates, except Flash Comics 1, which sold to JP for $300K, and therefore I think it's highly unlikely it would crack $300K again. Interesting as to whether Whiz 1 would break it. Geppi paid $176K raw, if I recall, and it was a trade deal, not pure cash. Would it benefit from a slab? It's a book that seems to have vanished from everyone's Top 10 want list.

Another candidate would be the 9.6 Allentown Captain America 1. Sold for $260K a few years ago, so perhaps it might be able to crack $300K today. Surely there must be another HG copy of Detective 27 out there, besides the AT copy, which could break $300K?

Finally, what about the MH All-American 16? Assuming it was 9.0 or better, what do you think it would go for?

I held back on that mile high all american 16 because i dont have any information on it,so i would have to speculate.I believe it would have to come in at 9.4 to 9.6 to reach the 300g level.And certainly at 9.6...

The flash #1 i choose because the grade is just so darn incredibly high for a golden age key.

The whiz 1 i choose because that 176k sale was better than a decade ago and geppi is no fool.[his exact words were...its better than mint...and comming from the dentist you know its a SUPER BOOK!

The Allentown cap 1 I simply forgot, your correct it is a candidate.

So the point here is maybe 10 books in the comic world can today hit 300k,That is slim company, and there all goldenage books.

I might add there is only 1 confirmed sale over 350k[pay copy marvel 1]

Hers my opinions on 300K books:

Church Action1 -------------- yes, duh!

8.5 Action 1 in slab -------------- yes

Allentown Detective 27 -------------- yes

Church Detective 27 -------------- yes

Church Marvel 1 -------------- no

Allentown Marvel 1 ? -------------- no, JP was crazy in love with it and comics that day!

Church Flash comics #1 ..9.6 -------------- NO! why, cause its a 9.6??

Church Whiz #1 -------------- are you keeding?

Church Superman 1 8.0 -------------- nope, the 250K for the 7.5 was too much!

Batman 1 9.0 -------------- no, just look over at Comiclink...

7.5 Action 1 -------------- yes, maybe, a HG ACtion 1 doesnt show up every day does it?

Allentown Cap #1 -------------- yes, probably

Any Silver Age key -------------- nope, not yet.. not even a 9.8 or a 9.6!

This is TODAY..... in 5-10 years the list will include more and this will be the 500K list!! IMO!!

Frankly, I think 5 years is enough, but with so much shiite on the worldwide political + economic horizon, who knows??

How high is the grade of the mile high Detective 27? ? I saw it in person many years ago when the dentist sold it.Rogovin had it,[i held it in my hands] looked like a fine/v.f to me.I have never seen it in the slab,i saw it raw.i think a tec27 would have to hit 7.5 to reach 300k...

Flash Comics 1, which sold to JP for $300K, and therefore I think it's highly unlikely it would crack $300K again.

I've been corrected by a reliable source that the correct figure was $350K. But it still wouldn't break $300K today without JP around.

Aman 619..

We are not to far off from one another.I think we are basically on the same thinking with prices..What is the grade of that mile high marvel 1 that you dont think it can reach 300k? I think that a marvel 1 MUST come in at 9.4 to reach 300k.A 9.2 will not make it. What are your thoughts on verzyls marvel 1??

I know,i ALWAYS mess up spelling his name]

I definitely think it would, particularly if it's as nice as it's cracked up to be. If the Church Detective 38 can still realize $125K, the most important Marvel/Timely can certainly break $300K.

I'm not a big believer that these books and these prices are all that influenced by CGC grade alone. Just their ranking in the pecking order of best copies. Best copy is Best copy, doesnt matter if it's 2 CGC notches better than the #2 copy. And Id like to think that this now heretical theory will gain momentum as we all move past the initial CGC effect on pricing.... Why would someone want to (or have to) pay another 100K say just cause the Best copy is a 9.6 or a 9.4???

..and, I dont think ANY Marvel #1 is selling for over 300K. I know JP paid that much, but, you know, that was then, and him, and this is now.

The story is[on the marvel 1 mile high is that Veryzl couldnt find a flaw on it [back in the day] so he had to pay full price.But he did say that AFTER he bought it.S o you have to take it with a grain of salt.Any way that kind of discription at face value would say to me a 9.4 at least, and that would make 300k im sure of...

I definitely think it would, particularly if it's as nice as it's cracked up to be. If the Church Detective 38 can still realize $125K, the most important Marvel/Timely can certainly break $300K.

as I answered to Action1kid above, I think Cap1 ia more important than Marvel 1. I know thats just me... not most of you.

My unbiased opinion of what 9.6/9.4/9.2 copies of Showcase #4 are worth:

Showcase #4 9.6 $300,000

Showcase #4 9.4 $295,000

Showcase#4 9.2 $18,000

Opinions?

893naughty-thumb.gif

Yea, yea, keep talking. I'm keeping track and building my database full of reasons to sue Metro and take all your comics. poke2.gif

Oh, you simply forgot the 0 after 18, well, you're forgiven then! makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif