• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 CGC 9.6

132 posts in this topic

Showcase 4 is a great book.

Its scarce to rare in HG.

Its a classic, historic story, reintroducing a major character...and, kicking off a new era.

I agree its worth a lot of $$$.

but I do not think there is a buyer ANYWHERE for north of 100K for any of the three copies: 9.2, 9.4 or 9.6. Thats just too much.

But, as always, even saying this, if it were MY copy, I'd ALSO think as you do that it was WORTH that much because of what it is. But I know that if I put it on the market at those prices, it would just sit, and sit, and sit. Kinda like the 9.0 Batman #1 that is ALSO 'worth' 300K that just cant find that one buyer with the perfect combination of cash and desire.

It's FLASH... it ain't Spidey!!

Kinda like the 9.0 Batman #1 that is ALSO 'worth' 300K that just cant find that one buyer with the perfect combination of cash and desire.

I'm surprised that one hasn't found a buyer. I guess there is, ultimately, a ceiling on what anyone can hope to get for a single comic book. If I was the owner of that book, I'd make a glossy brochure for it and market it to customers at some millionaire's boytoy fair or some other such rich man's venue that is not typically a comic book outlet. Sadly, that's the crowd with the bucks for that book---not true blue batman fans, but the select "Sharper Image is my Wall-mart" crowd.

If I won the 205 million dollar powerball, there's no chance I'm spending $300k on a comic book. So for me, no matter how great a copy it is, I just can't justify the value in spending that much on ONE comic. Now -- if you told me I'd spend $300k putting a nice collection together of some of my favorite runs, that I'd be ok with. But that much for one book -- I just don't see how you justify it. And I really don't know when another buyer would ever come along who'd ever pay that kind of money.

If I won the 205 million dollar powerball, there's no chance I'm spending $300k on a comic book. So for me, no matter how great a copy it is, I just can't justify the value in spending that much on ONE comic. Now -- if you told me I'd spend $300k putting a nice collection together of some of my favorite runs, that I'd be ok with. But that much for one book -- I just don't see how you justify it. And I really don't know when another buyer would ever come along who'd ever pay that kind of money.

If I won $205 million dollars, I'd easily spend $300K on the Church Action #1 and the Allentown Detective #27. tongue.gif

Now -- if you told me I'd spend $300k putting a nice collection together of some of my favorite runs, that I'd be ok with. But that much for one book -- I just don't see how you justify it.

See, I say what's the diference. 300k for a lot of comic books or 300k for one comic book? Tomato, tomahto. Every normal person in the known universe is going to say you're crazy either way, so might as well go with six of one or half dozen of the other. (Be seeing you! Sorry..couldn't resist the Prisoner reference.)

And I really don't know when another buyer would ever come along who'd ever pay that kind of money.

Agreed, but if a person is playing in that sandbox, I should hope they'd be past caring whether or not they're going to resell. That wouldn't, or shouldn't be the point. But if anyone bought the book for 300k with that idea in mind, then I agree, said individual should not pass Go and immediately collect a cache of anti-psychotic pharmaceuticals.

If I won $205 million dollars, I'd easily spend $300K on the Church Action #1 and the Allentown Detective #27. tongue.gif

You & I both. Totally agree!!! cloud9.gif

All joking aside I mean if it is true that Steve's 9.4 is very similar to Motor Citys 9.6 how can you justifiably say the 9.4 is worth 200K and the 9.6 is worth 300K. Only a label whore would follow that line of thinking which is ridiculous. Im assuming thats part of what Steve meant by the 300,000 and 295,000..

All joking aside I mean if it is true that Steve's 9.4 is very similar to Motor Citys 9.6 how can you justifiably say the 9.4 is worth 200K and the 9.6 is worth 300K. Only a label whore would follow that line of thinking which is ridiculous. Im assuming thats part of what Steve meant by the 300,000 and 295,000..

And we all know what little impact label whores have on the price of HG slabs.

My unbiased opinion of what 9.6/9.4/9.2 copies of Showcase #4 are worth:

Showcase #4 9.6 $300,000

Showcase #4 9.4 $295,000

Showcase#4 9.2 $18,000

Opinions?

I'll take the 9.2 for 18K any day. thumbsup2.gif

there ARE a few guys who would and acould... but theyve all passed. The problem is the small list of potential targets, um, customers.

But anyone putting down 100s of thousands on a comic book today has to be thinking long term. And there are less than a handful's worth of comics I'd recommend that for. Showcase 4 isnt one of them. Maybe not even Batman 1 either. Just Action 1 and Detective 27. And at some point in 5 or ten years, AF15. As we see, the pool of comics committed collectors who can buy these books is tiny. So you need a book that ties into Americana to have any chance of selling it later, or increasing your chances.

Or, just hope and pray for almighty inflation to make 300K the equivalent of 75K today! Hey Gene, how many years will that take at the present rate??

You wont exactly be made whole, but youd get your dollars back at least.

My unbiased opinion of what 9.6/9.4/9.2 copies of Showcase #4 are worth:

Showcase #4 9.6 $300,000

Showcase #4 9.4 $295,000

Showcase#4 9.2 $18,000

Opinions?

I'll take the 9.2 for 18K any day. thumbsup2.gif

andy.....QUIT READING MY MIND!!!!!!! frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gifgrin.gif

K

Might as well give it a shot because the 9.4 and 9.2 copies probably dropped in value when they assigned the 9.6 grade.

Actually I wouldn't agree with that at all. We are only talking one additional copy. Look at how many AF #15 and Spiderman #1s there actually are, even at HG, and the prices keep climbing. And I have no doubt there are still many more undiscovered HG Spideys out there while the likelihood of more HG Showcase #4s from 1956 showing up is slim at best.

In any event, the differences in price between the 9.2 vs 9.4 vs 9.6 are probably so significant that they will not negatively impact each other. To the contrary, it could be the opposite. Frankly, I was pleased it was a 9.6 b/c at $300,000 it makes my 9.2 at $125,000 seem far, far more reasonable and affordable! headbang.gif

I'm calling to call you the Whirling Dervish, you're spinning so fast! poke2.gif

Im assuming thats part of what Steve meant by the 300,000 and 295,000..

Uh, I'm pretty sure that ALL of Steve's post was a joke. news.gif You see, he owns the 9.4 copy. So it's funny if he says it's worth only $5,000 less than the 9.6 copy. It's also funny if he says the 9.2 copy is worth less than 10% of that, because the 9.2 is owned by Esquire.

Honest opinion?

What there worth? Or what do i think they can get at auction?

Like in real estate,what people say there home is worth and what they actually realize getting are two different things intirely.

That said, i do not believe that there is a silver age book out there that can attain 300,000[at this present time]In the future maybe af15........This domain is reserved for goldeage books as of today. Tomorrow? who knows.