• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 CGC 9.6

132 posts in this topic

Getting back to the Showcase #4, I am not a big fan of major multiples between grades above 9.2 except perhaps for 9.8 or so. For example, when I buy Church books it doesn't matter what the grade is, I just multiply the 9.2 guide value to reach my chosen sum. I've spent the same money buying a 9.2 versus a 9.4 and even a 9.6.

In any event, whether I can sell my 9.2 at $125,000 ( gossip.gif I'd take less if a genuine offer came in. I was offered $80,000 but declined), or Motor City's 9.6 at $300k and Metro's 9.2 somewhere in between, is something time will tell. We only need one buyer and that person is out there. The debate is somewhat moot b/c neither the 9.4 or the 9.6 are for sale anyway. Motor City floated that price b/c if someone wanted to buy it for that sum, Mike would sell. Otherwise he is perfectly content in holding on to it for a later date. I presume the same for Steve which is why his copy is not openly on the market. Even for my 9.2 I'm not in a rush. I bought it for an investment. I don't mind sitting on it for several years. I have little doubt that whatever the final sale figure the profit I will make will probably exceed most stocks and that works for me.

JP's problem (if you can call it that, for all we know the losses he is taking is a great business move to offset other profits) is that he is selling too early. The books he owns are so HG and key that the percentage increase each year is virtually guaranteed, at least by all historical standards. For most of his books he probably just needed to wait 2-5 more years.

I would put the Showcase #4 in that general category. Granted it is the SA Flash, a character that I never thought was first tier, but it is a very historical book which is why I purchased it.

Mark, have you had any significant offers for your 9.2 since you set up your site?

$80,000.

It is no secret that I paid $62,500 (give or take a few dollars) for it so even at $80,000 that would have netted me a $18,000 gross profit after one year.

You dont think a 9.4 or a 9.6 Marvel 1 can fetch 300k? or is it that you think it dosnt exsist? [maybe it dosnt] or that Marvel 1 is just not in the class of action 1 or tec 27..? or maybe all these reasons?

the latter two. At this time, JPs early misguided exuberance aside, I dont see Marvel 1 in the same class as Action 1 and Tec 27. I know others do, but the list of buyers is smaller than the 2 DCs. And really, Superman! or Batman! vs Kazar and Torch?????? I never get that equation! Cap I can see cause hes a classic timeless Superhero Icon. But even he is no match for the twin worldwide cultural Icons that are Bats and Supes.

You buy a Marvel 1 or a Cap 1 and you own a great historic comicbook.

You buy an HG Action #1, its like owing a Gutenberg Bible. or something .....!

Mark, have you had any significant offers for your 9.2 since you set up your site?

$80,000.

It is no secret that I paid $62,500 (give or take a few dollars) for it so even at $80,000 that would have netted me a $18,000 gross profit after one year.

thanx MZ. Thats a very nice offer. Id hold out too. Worst case you own 3rd best copy. Not too shabby.

But one problem with Showcase 4 is that as important as it is, theres a general feeling that its the most overpriced SA book in Guide. It shot up so much ten years ago or so when noone thought there were so many nice copies to be found....

But one problem with Showcase 4 is that as important as it is, theres a general feeling that its the most overpriced SA book in Guide. It shot up so much ten years ago or so when noone thought there were so many nice copies to be found....

I think that honor goes to ASM #1, actually. In 9.2 it probably barely gets Guide, and in 9.4 it struggles to reach 2X Guide. I can't think of another SA mega-key with those kinds of numbers.

I agree that Showcase 4 is probably the second most overpriced SA key, though. Sorry, Mark. flowerred.gif

I think that honor goes to ASM #1, actually. In 9.2 it probably barely gets Guide, and in 9.4 it struggles to reach 2X Guide. I can't think of another SA mega-key with those kinds of numbers.

I agree that Showcase 4 is probably the second most overpriced SA key, though. Sorry, Mark. flowerred.gif

Wouldn't that make ASM#1 the "least underpriced" key in the guide, as opposed to "most overpriced"? makepoint.gif How is it "overpriced" if it SELLS for guide? yeahok.gif Anyway, there have been no 9.2 sales since Feb. 2004 when the 2003 guide was the current guide, and then the 9.2 sold for $30K, just a tick under the NM 9.4 value, despite a nasty looking oil transfer stain on the front cover. This, of course, happened after two nicer 9.2 copies the year before each sold for over $40K.

Lot's of very interesting points in this thread. However, I'm not sure it's fair to compare ASM 1 and Showcase 4 in terms of nice copies. Demand might be lower, but the Showcase is hardly plentiful in high grade. How many ASM's over 9.0 are there?

You dont think a 9.4 or a 9.6 Marvel 1 can fetch 300k? or is it that you think it dosnt exsist? [maybe it dosnt] or that Marvel 1 is just not in the class of action 1 or tec 27..? or maybe all these reasons?

the latter two. At this time, JPs early misguided exuberance aside, I dont see Marvel 1 in the same class as Action 1 and Tec 27. I know others do, but the list of buyers is smaller than the 2 DCs. And really, Superman! or Batman! vs Kazar and Torch?????? I never get that equation! Cap I can see cause hes a classic timeless Superhero Icon. But even he is no match for the twin worldwide cultural Icons that are Bats and Supes.

You buy a Marvel 1 or a Cap 1 and you own a great historic comicbook.

You buy an HG Action #1, its like owing a Gutenberg Bible. or something .....!

Marvel Comics #1 guides for $365,000 in 9.2 and Mile Highs sell for 3-6 times guide. Most of us could not afford the MH copy of Marvel #1 even at "give away" prices. Ask Geppi how much he would pay for it, I'm sure $300,000 is multiples lower than his offer would be (IMO).

West

And really, Superman! or Batman! vs Kazar and Torch?????? I never get that equation! Cap I can see cause hes a classic timeless Superhero Icon. But even he is no match for the twin worldwide cultural Icons that are Bats and Supes.

Don't forget the Sub-Mariner? poke2.gif

oh, yeah,... and Subby too.

So now its : Superman! or Batman! vs Kazar and Torch And SubMariner" I think its still no contest.

West.

i Agree with you. I am a D.C guy all the way and i would [and could] pay 300k for the mile high marvel 1.

Okay. We now have 2 names on the list, you and Geppi who CAN and WOULD buy it if offerred at the discount price of 300K. Anyone else who CAN and WOULD? I hope I dodnt say NOBODY would if givcen the chance, but only implied that the list is so short that all would pass on it at that price (cepting Geppi, and now Action1kid. But Steve being Steve, who knows whether he'd pick it up at this point...probably more or less to support the market if noone else stepped up cause it IS an historic comic...).