• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any guesses what this might fetch? Byrne XMEN battle page w Wolverine!

115 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, J.Sid said:

Gene's is Best page in the book IMO.

Sure, the page before is an iconic half splash that is used for the cover scene, but Gene's has zero weak panels, a great front shot of Wolverine, and a shot of Wolverine using his claws. Oh, and it's got the "snikt" for those who care about that.

Three words no buyer wants to hear:  The SNIKT Tax

See the source image

On 7/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, Timely said:

$100k for this page? Man you guys are throwing around some heavy numbers! You can get a decent Romita ASM cover for $100k. I know which one I’d prefer!

I’m not so sure.   The last two romita asm covers under 100k on HA have no Spider-Man on them.   The good ones went 300k or so.    There is also an unpublished cover that got 15k which I won’t count and then one where you only see spidey in the reflection of doc ock’s glasses that got 105.   

Can we agree #61 is a good example of a decent cover?   Spider-Man is on it, but it’s far from pretty.    Even that went for 167k, and three years ago.

in other words, while I don’t care for or track romita asm, I don’t see a recent HA  result for what I’d call a decent romita Spider-Man cover  (ie spidey actually on the cover as a starting point ) for under 100k.   Now again I don’t watch this material so maybe there are sales you know  of outside of that.    

Edited by Bronty

On 7/21/2021 at 6:23 AM, Bronty said:

I’m not so sure.   The last two romita asm covers under 100k on HA have no Spider-Man on them.   The good ones went 300k or so.    There is also an unpublished cover that got 15k which I won’t count and then one where you only see spidey in the reflection of doc ock’s glasses that got 105.   

Can we agree #61 is a good example of a decent cover?   Spider-Man is on it, but it’s far from pretty.    Even that went for 167k, and three years ago.

in other words, while I don’t care for or track romita asm, I don’t see a recent HA  result for what I’d call a decent romita Spider-Man cover  (ie spidey actually on the cover as a starting point ) for under 100k.   Now again I don’t watch this material so maybe there are sales you know  of outside of that.    

When I was referring to ASM Romita, I meant Bronze Age covers, not Silver Age.

The ASM Annual #7 cover went for 87k. The ASM 90 and 91 went for over 100k, but not by much. And 3 ASM covers under #100 went for around 100k or less, but they certainly were not A covers.

But my point was you can do a lot with 100k other than buy this page.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, Timely said:

The ASM Annual #7 cover went for 87k. The ASM 90 and 91 went for over 100k, but not by much. And 3 ASM covers under #100 went for around 100k or less, but they certainly were not A covers.

Yeah you can even buy an unpublished BWS!    I take your point and that’s true, but you also can’t do as much with 100k as you could a while ago.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, Timely said:

Those ASM covers would surely all fetch substantially higher prices now, no?  Any comps more than a few months old are hopelessly stale in the current market for anything popular it seems. We are in the Dog Years OA Market - every month that passes counts as 7 months these days. hm 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, delekkerste said:

Those ASM covers would surely all fetch substantially higher prices now, no?  Any comps more than a few months old are hopelessly stale in the current market for anything popular it seems. We are in the Dog Years OA Market - every month that passes counts as 7 months these days. hm 

I'm not watching closely.  But it does seem as though the collectibles that lagged early on in this covid economy (like comic art) are enjoying a longer tail now because they didn't get as out of hand before.    

Edited by Bronty

On 7/20/2021 at 9:04 AM, Lago32 said:

1) With his "forever keeper" comment on his X109 page (and therefore dashing the hopes of anyone with designs on his page), I think Gene may have just inadvertently added another $10-20k to the final hammer price for this X109 page in Clink lol

unfortunately @delekkerste always inadvertently adds 10-20k to things I like lol 

Good thing Gene is one of the aces in the hobby to make all these accidental increases ! 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:51 PM, J.Sid said:

Shifting gears, but somewhat related: this is why I've never even taken the time to register to bid on ComicConnect....

CLink_Byrne_Sketch_Result.jpg

But..but...butttt, it's signed by STAN LEE!

Well, maybe this old art price guide from the famous New York comic store SuperSnipe can help. It is from 1977 and shows prices for X-Men 98 and Giant-Size #1. These prices would make me think around $15-$20. $45 with Fed Ex shipping included. Contact me if interested in selling. Rick or Corey from Pawn Stars would only give you $5-$7 as they have to make a profit.

SuperSnipeCatalog.thumb.jpg.98904fa14f9bc1a68898257565910352.jpgSS1.thumb.jpg.d6229a1cdf6df765cd5cb5de527c49f1.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Well, maybe this old art price guide from the famous New York comic store SuperSnipe can help. It is from 1977 and shows prices for X-Men 98 and Giant-Size #1. These prices would make me think around $15-$20. $45 with Fed Ex shipping included. Contact me if interested in selling. Rick or Corey from Pawn Stars would only give you $5-$7 as they have to make a profit.

SuperSnipeCatalog.thumb.jpg.98904fa14f9bc1a68898257565910352.jpgSS1.thumb.jpg.d6229a1cdf6df765cd5cb5de527c49f1.jpg

Do I get a 20% discount if I buy it all? :takeit:

Boy some of those buys turned out amazing, and some not so much.......

I'll take all of the covers, all of the early xmen, and the marvel preview 2, assuming its the punisher story.   I can handle the Conan (although in 1970s dollars it is questionable..), but I'll DEFINITELY pass on the Mayerik Sherlock Holmes and unpublished Nelson :eek: please and thank you.

Overall, in 1970s dollars, the prices don't strike me as cheap.   For the most part (x-men and such aside), one could have done much better spending 20 dollars on something else.   44 years is a long time to hold.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bronty said:

Boy some of those buys turned out amazing, and some not so much.......

I'll take all of the covers, all of the early xmen, and the marvel preview 2, assuming its the punisher story.   I can handle the Conan (although in 1970s dollars it is questionable..), but I'll DEFINITELY pass on the Mayerik Sherlock Holmes and unpublished Nelson :eek: please and thank you.

Overall, in 1970s dollars, the prices don't strike me as cheap.   For the most part (x-men and such aside), one could have done much better spending 20 dollars on something else.   44 years is a long time to hold.

Has the Gray Morrow page from All Star Western even gone up from either the $100 or $125 prices.? A good example of worst OA— very good artist, dull subject, virtually no appreciation.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:36 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Has the Gray Morrow page from All Star Western even gone up from either the $100 or $125 prices.? A good example of worst OA— very good artist, dull subject, virtually no appreciation.

It’s a splash titled Satan with Spurs, surely their is a Satan with Spurs tax.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bronty said:

Overall, in 1970s dollars, the prices don't strike me as cheap. 

I agree; the interesting aspect of these old catalogs to me is vintage ratios...market "perceptions" then and now, opportunity costs etc (which assume you're going to blow $20 or $40 on "something OA" to begin with, not hot dogs and a ballgame, or Led Zeppelin LIVE! lol ).

On 7/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, TheLostDreams said:

For the prices that are being quoted on this Byrne X-men 109 page...80k on up...you don't get a really good shot of Wolverine and on top of that, Wolverine is getting absolutely killed on this page by Vindicator!

Yeah you don't get to see wolverine's face. In this market, Wouldn't be surprised if it hits 100k+