• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inks on Art Adams XM Annual 9 page

7 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago I posted this piece on Comicartfans:

Art Adams - X-Men Annual 9 - page 8 - New Mutants - Storm, in Carlo M's Arthur Adams Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

In the description I mention that indiciae mention Adams Gordon Mignola as inkers but I would not know which one inked this particular page and ask for opinions.  None has come forward to date. Any ideas? 

Carlo

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

A few weeks ago I posted this piece on Comicartfans:

Art Adams - X-Men Annual 9 - page 8 - New Mutants - Storm, in Carlo M's Arthur Adams Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

In the description I mention that indiciae mention Adams Gordon Mignola as inkers but I would not know which one inked this particular page and ask for opinions.  None has come forward to date. Any ideas? 

Carlo

I flipped through the issue, and looked closely. I did see differences from page to page, so then I tried to match styles. The pages/characters I believe AA inked really stood out to me. I also found some Mignola characteristics on other pages in inks and faces. I would guess Gordon on this page, but it’s only a guess.

Have you considered sending a message to the artists reps, or the artists themselves, to get an answer? 

I have owned two pages from this story inked by Mignola. I'm pretty sure I can rule Mignola out.

My guess would be Adams or Austin. Adams being my prime suspect.

Edited by J.Sid

I'd put money on Adams inking this one too. I'm about 95% sure he did it. A lot of this issue was being inked at San Diego Comic Con around 1985 (or was it '84?), as pages were being handed out to other artists to pitch in. I know Rubenstein inked a page or panel, as did Whilce Portacio. I was a total nobody so I did not touch these pages, and don't have any other names for you to consider. That said, pretty sure this is Adams inks.

Edited by stinkininkin

Ok, Arthur was super fast and very kindly confirmed he inked the page.  Thanks for the suggestion to contact him and congrats to those who got it right!

As an afterthought, I think Adams and Golden were the two artists that were the most influential with the least amount of work that created the influence (two Annuals by Adams and a couple of issues by Golden).  Any other names come to mind?