• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can you find the hidden gems these days ?
3 3

66 posts in this topic

I’ve been buying and selling comics for about 12 years now. Conventions and eBay etc.. Finally opened a  small brick and mortar shop about 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Collections coming in all the time. For the most part people want to go somewhere they feel comfortable with. I know how tough it is hunting comics in the wild though. I know not everyone can open a shop but even just a small commercial office would work. As long as people know it’s public they will go. 

Here's a random bit of information -- 

In the trading card world, I know a guy that shows up to small & local card shows every weekend, and offers to "buy out" each of the dealers, obviously getting a bulk-rate deal. He then has his "contacts" that he flips the card to ... autograph cards to one guy, numbered cards to another guy, rookies to yet a third dealer. 

He makes  a full-time living buying big collections from people ready to cash out, and knows how to quickly piece out the collections to turn a profit. He's done this for 15 years. 

The current best "deals & gems" are had by playing in the deep-end. 
Buying a $100 book for $2.00 at a swap meet is no longer the norm because anyone with two bucks and a cellphone can play. 

I have more than one friend who would sell his entire collection and cash-out if the offer was right, and still leave room for the next guy to make a profit. 

8 hours ago, FrankG said:

I have been collecting for many years in the New York area and could always discover places for finding good buys.  Years ago it was flea markets, drug stores selling back issues, and local garage sales advertised in newspapers.   Later in life it was mostly Craigslist and Ebay.  However, in today’s times it doesn’t seem possible to scoop a great deal anymore.  People selling comics on their own tend to overvalue them.  Is there a new approach that works to find hidden gems and sellers that under value their items ? 

www.youmustbekidding.com

5 hours ago, cmixer said:

I have more than one friend who would sell his entire collection and cash-out if the offer was right, and still leave room for the next guy to make a profit. 

Every dealer in the business with reasonably deep pockets would happily have that conversation with those guys.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I've seen a few collections recently where it was a large take it all type deal where they "Wanted to cash out"

The keys are usually easier to work with.

The biggest deal killer is the massive amount of overpriced common books.

Did anybody see the Judge Judy  with the Lego's case?

A guy rsponded to an internet ad offering 200 pounds of Legos for $600 or so. He gets them home and weighs them and it is only 70 pounds.

He wants a partial refund since it is roughly a third of the advertised weight. The judge is not the least bit sympathetic and the seller says the buyer has some of the stuff on line and is asking over $100,000 for it. Judge looks at the ad and dismisses the case.

The ad is for Legos and the price listed was $123456.

6 hours ago, Ares said:

in my collection in Canada

Ha! True story: I only recently came back to my collection after our 40 years. After bagging and boarding up about 20 boxes, in the last few comics of the very last box, I found two copies of Hulk 181 that I don't even remember buying. They were the last Hulks I had ever bought.

20 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Ha! True story: I only recently came back to my collection after our 40 years. After bagging and boarding up about 20 boxes, in the last few comics of the very last box, I found two copies of Hulk 181 that I don't even remember buying. They were the last Hulks I had ever bought.

I think there are a lot of folks like you - collected as teens then moved on and haven't touched the books since but now might given the heat in the market. 

Congrats on the find! Hope they also have the MVS stamp :-)

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Did anybody see the Judge Judy  with the Lego's case?

A guy rsponded to an internet ad offering 200 pounds of Legos for $600 or so. He gets them home and weighs them and it is only 70 pounds.

He wants a partial refund since it is roughly a third of the advertised weight. The judge is not the least bit sympathetic and the seller says the buyer has some of the stuff on line and is asking over $100,000 for it. Judge looks at the ad and dismisses the case.

The ad is for Legos and the price listed was $123456.

Judge Judy mention @kav 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

As others have said, cast a wide net. I've got 4 different local shops I work with who will shoot me an email if they get something I might be interested in.  

There are 2 part time local dealers I check in with every so often. 

I check the big auction houses, craigslist and once in awhile I'll look into local auctions.  

I like to hit local shows when I can and I'll drop in on shops when I travel for work (back when people use to travel for work).  

Then I have want lists with all the big online dealers.  

Oh and I refresh the boards sales forum every 9.7 seconds. 

I think the key is, be knowledgeable enough to recognize a good deal and when you see one, pounce on it. Because if you don't, there will be people waiting in line behind you. 

I go to old ladies houses and say i am doing free pest inspection of attic and basements when i see box of Action #1's I start shouting they are loaded with bugs!  Then I run out.
@oakman29

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Ya know... could be a fun side venture.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 9.38.50 PM.png

You have got to be ******** me.

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

That price seems completely fair....hm

You must be kidding.

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

com

lol

Edited by kav