• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Video Game Grading?
1 1

162 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

Bronty where do all the old Nintendo Age guys hang out? I miss seeing your box art collection, the Nolans and their protos, and the myriad of other shenanigans that went along with those boards. :(

Hey man!  What was your username back then?

Its kind of devolved into facebook groups.    Sealed games club, show off your wata games, high end game room, etc.

NA did eventually survive as videogamesage, so you might find some old timers there, but I don't think the site gets much traffic at all.    FB has kind of taken over as the place to chat.   Instagram somewhat too.

Thanks for remembering on the box art.     My avatar is a detail from the Contra original art, I did find that eventually.

cheers, 
Dan

Edited by Bronty

27 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Hey man!  What was your username back then?

Its kind of devolved into facebook groups.    Sealed games club, show off your wata games, high end game room, etc.

NA did eventually survive as videogamesage, so you might find some old timers there, but I don't think the site gets much traffic at all.    FB has kind of taken over as the place to chat.   Instagram somewhat too.

Thanks for remembering on the box art.     My avatar is a detail from the Contra original art, I did find that eventually.

cheers, 
Dan

My username was AJ_the_gym_leader started in 2012 and stepped away for a bit in 2018, got heavier into comics, and when I went back later to check NA it was all archived.

I figured it must've gone to social media, but I don't use any of those, to my detriment I'm sure, so I'm out of luck there. Just checked VGS I definitely recognize a lot of usernames, so I may have to sign up, but you're right it doesn't seem quite as active as NA.

I would mostly post in everything else, or the buying forum. I used to hang out with some of the other ruffians like Jerbilly and Bimmy Lee and others for cook outs and meet ups, but I never did make it to a campout. 

I absolutely recognized your avatar and username with the Contra art being your white whale and all. I think I stopped posting a little after you put out your 100k bounty. I have some pop art and OA, but I'm always in awe of you and the other guys with the next level stuff.

Anyway thanks for getting back to me Dan I really appreciate it! (hopefully Blackstone doesn't do to this forum what gocollect did to NA...)

40 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

Am I missing something here? On CLink's auction tonight there are Nintendo Switch games going for like $900 that you can still buy new in the store for $44? Like Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Assuming first prints coupled with the crazy wait times for current grading. People have more money than time it seems.

1 hour ago, AJLewandoski said:

My username was AJ_the_gym_leader started in 2012 and stepped away for a bit in 2018, got heavier into comics, and when I went back later to check NA it was all archived.

I figured it must've gone to social media, but I don't use any of those, to my detriment I'm sure, so I'm out of luck there. Just checked VGS I definitely recognize a lot of usernames, so I may have to sign up, but you're right it doesn't seem quite as active as NA.

I would mostly post in everything else, or the buying forum. I used to hang out with some of the other ruffians like Jerbilly and Bimmy Lee and others for cook outs and meet ups, but I never did make it to a campout. 

I absolutely recognized your avatar and username with the Contra art being your white whale and all. I think I stopped posting a little after you put out your 100k bounty. I have some pop art and OA, but I'm always in awe of you and the other guys with the next level stuff.

Anyway thanks for getting back to me Dan I really appreciate it! (hopefully Blackstone doesn't do to this forum what gocollect did to NA...)

I remember you AJ!   Nice to see you around again!   Didn’t know you were into comics.   It was the first thing I collected but I sold most of the good stuff to buy other things many years ago.    What comics do you collect?

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

I remember you AJ!   Nice to see you around again!   Didn’t know you were into comics.   It was the first thing I collected but I sold most of the good stuff to buy other things many years ago.    What comics do you collect?

Marvel from golden to modern, with the greatest majority of them being silver. I think I'm too sentimental to sell, otherwise I would probably roll some of the games into comics at this point, with the way games are going I'd probably have no trouble getting some of the big silver age books I'm missing. I do still buy games on occasion but it's far less frequently since I have most of what I want.

Are things about to get interesting? 

Wait......or were they already interesting? 

Or.....no.....were they interesting and now they're not?

Whatever......shut up and read this article.

PSA Grading Parent Buys Video Game Grader Wata

50 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Are things about to get interesting? 

Wait......or were they already interesting? 

Or.....no.....were they interesting and now they're not?

Whatever......shut up and read this article.

PSA Grading Parent Buys Video Game Grader Wata

The end is nigh! :ohnoez:

This can't be a good thing as a bunch of people will just buy multiples of modern games in the hopes they will be valuable 30 years from now. Really any sealed collectible could get this sort of valuation. We'll just have to see how the supply is in the future I guess.

I wonder if this sealed thing is happening with records and CDs? Remember in the early days of music CDs some came in those long boxes? I believe I still have a Star Wars set in the long box. Of course opened though.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:42 AM, Bronty said:

The modern stuff I’m sure that is happening but who cares.

won’t be long with these headlines until manufacturers start selling some super limited new release 1/1 for big money. 

The recent Australian releases of Switch games have been coming unsealed. Unsure if its intentionally done to stop this 'collecting' but thought it might be the case in future.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jo Seph said:

The recent Australian releases of Switch games have been coming unsealed. Unsure if its intentionally done to stop this 'collecting' but thought it might be the case in future.

All sorts of games came without seals in different markets at different times.   They are just doing whatever business moves make sense for their retail market.   The collector market is a drop in the ocean compared to retail

Edited by Bronty

On 7/13/2021 at 4:28 PM, Domo Arigato said:

This.  The market has definitely changed over the last 2 years.....and especially over the last 6 months or so.  

A year ago in July of 2020, the world record (publicly known) sale for a video game was $114,000.

In November 2020 it was $156,000.

In April 2021 it was $660,000.

On July 9th, 2021 it was $870,000..

And finally on July 11th it's $1,560,000.

New world record video game sale just broke the $2 million mark.

Rare Super Mario Bros. Game Sells For $2 Million At Auction

August 6, 2021 at 9:05AM

On 8/6/2021 at 5:45 PM, Domo Arigato said:

New world record video game sale just broke the $2 million mark.

Rare Super Mario Bros. Game Sells For $2 Million At Auction

August 6, 2021 at 9:05AM

This doesn’t surprise me as it was only a matter of time before something broke the SM64 record sale for a video game.

Edited by Terry_JSA

On 8/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Bronty said:

You would have thought it would last more than a month though.   

This 2m record might not last long either as there’s a few serious pieces up at the next signature 

Where is the cgc video game thread?there should be a catégorie  right?i mean pokemon cards have one,so why not video games!

On 8/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, Namtak said:

Where is the cgc video game thread?there should be a catégorie  right?i mean pokemon cards have one,so why not video games!

Well, pm a mod I guess

On 8/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, Namtak said:

They did announce they will be grading games , so I would imagine that it would be much longer. 

On 8/7/2021 at 7:50 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 8/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, Namtak said:

They did announce they will be grading games , so I would imagine that it would be much longer. 

ya I've run into a few sealed games, :wishluck: I'm still on the fence..

question: Since "new games" don't per se "come in a box or packaging", then is game grading "ongoing?"

Or is it mostly finite and grade whatever you can find from way back, when there was "packaging?"