• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Video Game Grading?
1 1

162 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya I've run into a few sealed games, :wishluck: I'm still on the fence..

question: Since "new games" don't per se "come in a box or packaging", then is game grading "ongoing?"

Or is it mostly finite and grade whatever you can find from way back, when there was "packaging?"

Well ..an example from annother company(since cgc havent said much i suppose its ok to compare what other company do....)they grade what you have,sealed complete in box or manual or cartridge only here an example of loose cartridge image from the net not mine

lf-1.jpg

Edited by Namtak

On 8/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya I've run into a few sealed games, :wishluck: I'm still on the fence..

question: Since "new games" don't per se "come in a box or packaging", then is game grading "ongoing?"

Or is it mostly finite and grade whatever you can find from way back, when there was "packaging?"

It's funny. It's kinda mimicing comics. Newer stuff, since it's packaging is plastic CD style cases, their condition is all high grade (just like with modern comics It's a majority of 9.6s and 9.8s. So for more modern games it's about rarer packages/releases.. just like with comics.

(It's not a perfect parallel, I know)

On 8/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, miraclemet said:

It's funny. It's kinda mimicing comics. Newer stuff, since it's packaging is plastic CD style cases, their condition is all high grade (just like with modern comics It's a majority of 9.6s and 9.8s. So for more modern games it's about rarer packages/releases.. just like with comics.

(It's not a perfect parallel, I know)

Thanks!! I just needed a real world comparison  (thumbsu

That works

Essentially the Video Game Market has compressed 80 years of Comic book valuation and market inflation into the last 5 years (and the last 2 years has been most of the spike). 

Trophy hunters and Whales moved video games into that "nostalgia" trophy category and prices went up. Not that different than what happened with comics decades ago, except the newer Trophy Hunters and Whales arent 40-50 year olds in the 80s being whistful about Golden Age and Silve Age comics they'd longed for (or the 20 somethings with disposable income). They're 40-50 year olds in the 2020s longing for the video games they played in the 80s/90s (and the new 20 somethings with disposable income who see Nintendo games as "old" collectibles)

1st Gen NES Super Mario Bros is the Video Game market Action Comics
Legend of Zelda is their 'tec 27
Metroid is their Flash #1
Contra is their All Star #8

Why sealed? Cause that's how they were when they came out, just like how comic book collectors want books to be in the same shape they came out (and resto free). The market values the nostalgia, and it helps to sustain the market because there are plenty of Super Mario Bros carts out there, but still sealed? There's the scarcity. Cause who kept them sealed? Yes it's a bit of a disconnect from the game that was played, but the game market needs the scarcity to (in part) justify the values. 

It'll be interesting to watch where the market goes as graded games grow in the marketplace. Im a little curious if there will be a surge for "great art covers" (whatever the market decides is "great") like what has happened with some GA books that are known for their covers, not their content. Obviously the original black box NES games will always be the gold standard, but Im curious to see what nuance the market takes since it's unfolding (very quickly) right before our eyes. 

Edited by miraclemet

On 8/7/2021 at 10:14 PM, miraclemet said:

Essentially the Video Game Market has compressed 80 years of Comic book valuation and market inflation into the last 5 years (and the last 2 years has been most of the spike). 

Trophy hunters and Whales moved video games into that "nostalgia" trophy category and prices went up. Not that different than what happened with comics decades ago, except the newer Trophy Hunters and Whales arent 40-50 year olds in the 80s being whistful about Golden Age and Silve Age comics they'd longed for (or the 20 somethings with disposable income). They're 40-50 year olds in the 2020s longing for the video games they played in the 80s/90s (and the new 20 somethings with disposable income who see Nintendo games as "old" collectibles)

Why sealed? Cause that's how they were when they came out, just like how comic book collectors want books to be in the same shape they came out (and resto free). The market values the nostalgia, and it helps to sustain the market because there are plenty of Super Mario Bros carts out there, but still sealed? There's the scarcity. Cause who kept them sealed? Yes it's a bit of a disconnect from the game that was played, but the game market needs the scarcity to (in part) justify the values. 

It'll be interesting to watch where the market goes as graded games grow in the marketplace. Im a little curious if there will be a surge for "great art covers" (whatever the market decides is "great") like what has happened with some GA books that are known for their covers, not their content. Obviously the original black box NES games will always be the gold standard, but Im curious to see what nuance the market takes since it's unfolding (very quickly) right before our eyes. 

Good summary 

On 8/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, Bronty said:

This 2m record might not last long either as there’s a few serious pieces up at the next signature 

Hey, Bronty.......what do you think about Goldin Auctions?

I've seen them post a few notices on Facebook.......like this video talking about their major comic book auction coming in August (with books like Batman #1 cgc 8.0.....Avengers #1 cgc 9.6........and Amazing Fantasy #15 cgc 8.5).

Then I see them post stuff like this regarding their massive video game auction coming in August as well.

Goldin.jpg.2f25d1e59506c157603adf3f1452d894.jpg

They're talking about how they're hoping to break records and give Heritage a run for their money.

The problem with all of that?  When I go to their website.......I see none of this. 

No big comic preview......no major video game preview.....nothing.  These auctions are supposed to happen in August.  We are in August.  Unless I'm just too stupid to find this stuff on their website, is this really the way to give Heritage a "run for their money".  

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 8/8/2021 at 4:26 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Hey, Bronty.......what do you think about Goldin Auctions?

I've seen them post a few notices on Facebook.......like this video talking about their major comic book auction coming in August (with books like Batman #1 cgc 8.0.....Avengers #1 cgc 9.6........and Amazing Fantasy #15 cgc 8.5).

Then I see them post stuff like this regarding their massive video game auction coming in August as well.

Goldin.jpg.2f25d1e59506c157603adf3f1452d894.jpg

They're talking about how they're hoping to break records and give Heritage a run for their money.

The problem with all of that?  When I go to their website.......I see none of this. 

No big comic preview......no major video game preview.....nothing.  These auctions are supposed to happen in August.  We are in August.  Unless I'm just too stupid to find this stuff on their website, is this really the way to give Heritage a "run for their money".  

You just described exactly what I think.   Lots of talk but where’s the beef?

Now I know just through talking to friends that they did get some good consignments.    To your point though , they seem underprepared so far.  Is the plan just to throw them up on the website with no other promotion?   I don’t know.  

Thry approached me about consigning at one point and when I asked about their plans the answers were just along the lines of “look at our results in cards” and “our CEO used to work at Twitter” (ie we’ve been a success and have a successful team).   That wasn’t what I wanted to hear so I passed.   But, they may yet manage to do very well given they will have some good consignments.      If so I would have hoped for that vision to be communicated better.    (I don’t care that your people worked at Twitter).

I guess it all depends on the results of this first auction.    Hopefully there is more going on behind the scenes because as you say in front of the scenes … so far, I don’t see it.  That can change and in a hurry but as you say this auction is supposed to be August and it’s already August.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Bronty said:

You would have thought it would last more than a month though.   

This 2m record might not last long either as there’s a few serious pieces up at the next signature 

Who knows what the other games may go for in the next signature auction. Super Mario Bros. is a pretty influential game in its own right and I don’t know what could compete the current record price of $2M. 

On 8/8/2021 at 12:32 PM, Terry_JSA said:

Who knows what the other games may go for in the next signature auction. Super Mario Bros. is a pretty influential game in its own right and I don’t know what could compete the current record price of $2M. 

SMB is the most important  game of all time IMO, but that 2m copy is not a first print (early print but not first).  

The zelda at the next signature is a first print. 

So it’s got a real shot depending on what it ends up grading out at. 

(The 900k zelda last time was not a first print ).

Edited by Bronty

On 8/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Bronty said:

SMB is the most important  game of all time IMO, but that 2m copy is not a first print (early print but not first).  

The zelda at the next signature is a first print. 

So it’s got a real shot depending on what it ends up grading out at. 

(The 900k zelda last time was not a first print ).

I didn’t know the SMB that went for $2M wasn’t a first print but rather an early printing, same thing goes for The Legend of Zelda. 

I do agree it has a real shot considering it was the highest amount a game has sold for before it was overthrown by SM64. 

The SMB was a fifth print which sounds late but it’s not, it’s still a made in 1987 copy.  Any SMB from 87 and back is really rare, only about 20 known sealed ones. Almost all the known hangtab (87 or prior) copies are 4th - 6th prints).   

Now Zelda was released in 87 not 85 so it’s easier to find a first print zelda than a first print smb, but it’s still brutal.    Still only like four known.   They changed the packaging almost immediately .   Those first prints are from the first couple months only.   The 900k zelda was a 1988.   Third print.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/8/2021 at 2:10 PM, Bronty said:

The SMB was a fifth print which sounds late but it’s not, it’s still a made in 1987 copy.  Any SMB from 87 and back is really rare, only about 20 known sealed ones. Almost all the known hangtab (87 or prior) copies are 4th - 6th prints).   

Now Zelda was released in 87 not 85 so it’s easier to find a first print zelda than a first print smb, but it’s still brutal.    Still only like four known.   They changed the packaging almost immediately .   Those first prints are from the first couple months only.   The 900k zelda was a 1988.   Third print.

When you break everything down and put it that way, it make sense. Taking into consideration the 1st prints are only from a couple of months after release, I can see it surpassing the SMB record.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:14 PM, miraclemet said:

Whether or not games will be collected solely for the covers is an interesting question.   I have trouble currently seeing that be widespread but before cgc I wouldn’t really have expected it for comics either.   Certainly , if I’m buying a copy of Zork I want the barbarian cover and not the logo cover.

if that sort of thing interests you check out the Koei covers for nes and snes , and check out the Konami/ Ultra covers from 89-94 or so.   (Ultra was a Konami subsidiary ). 

Both sets of covers are really great and both are almost entirely by single artists , which gives them a cohesion and their own flavour.   (Koei - N. Ohrai , Konami/Ultra - Dubois). 

Nice piece of art to own! I'll never get used to that, over here we had the Probotector versions of the game. 

On 8/10/2021 at 5:55 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Nice piece of art to own! I'll never get used to that, over here we had the Probotector versions of the game. 

I hear you!  I have the same reaction to probotector!

When you have so much money, that you just can't be arsed to bid on anything but the Signature Auction. 

Sig.jpg.551ed914d597e0853181eeaa9321aaec.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

Heh.   It’s true, the signatures just bring the big fish.  

Part of it is also that so far some of the bigger buyers for that PS1 / ps2 material are in Europe.   The weeklies are at a horrible time of day (well - night, the middle of) for European bidders.   The times of day on the signatures are manageable for them. 

Edited by Bronty

On 8/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, Bronty said:

Heh.   It’s true, the signatures just bring the big fish.  

Part of it is also that so far some of the bigger buyers for that PS1 / ps2 material are in Europe.   The weeklies are at a horrible time of day (well - night, the middle of) for European bidders.   The times of day on the signatures are manageable for them. 

That makes sense.  It still boggles my mind that these three sales were all within a seven day period.

I also have to wonder how many copies of this game exist in sealed 9.8 A++ condition.  Heritage has auctioned off seven copies in that exact grade so far, and they have another one coming up in the October Signature Auction.......and all of them have different Wata serial numbers.

It certainly doesn't seem rare......even in ultra high grade.

Edited by Domo Arigato