• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Coming Back with New Defects?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 9:19 AM, luca1985 said:

The serial matches with the one on eBay and the pics they posted were of an undamaged book.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Well that stinks, I suppose even an undamaged shipping box can be jolted enough to shake the comic, but I thought it was less likely, dang :( 

On 8/22/2021 at 12:27 PM, luca1985 said:

So, I was wondering, what grade might the book have fallen to? Thanks.

yeesh!  with that damage, let's see, multiple color breaking creases to bottom corner and edge and through multiple pages or the whole book.  After a press, you may be fortunate to have it come back as a VF+ 8.5.  Hard to tell how much of the creasing is color breaking and how much is just the light reflecting but on a black cover the creasing tends to show.

Can you or the seller submit an insurance claim?  Either way, this book is/should be going back to the seller with an insurance claim submitted to USPS if it did not already have that damage according to the pictures or the description.  Sucks but I'm not sure whether USPS would consider that damage insurable considering neither the box nor the packaging/case show any damage.  Has anyone successfully received a claim payout from SCS damage where the box itself wasn't damaged?

I opened a case for return request. The seller refused and closed it by opening a controversy to eBay, which I won and I got refunded. Now I can't return the book through the eBay process, without paying for return shipment.

So, I'm thinking of keeping this book until some huge spike in Miles popularity skyrockets the value so high that even a book in the above condition will be worth a lot of money.

What do you think?

On 8/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, luca1985 said:

I opened a case for return request. The seller refused and closed it by opening a controversy to eBay, which I won and I got refunded. Now I can't return the book through the eBay process, without paying for return shipment.

So, I'm thinking of keeping this book until some huge spike in Miles popularity skyrockets the value so high that even a book in the above condition will be worth a lot of money.

What do you think?

I think you should give the seller an opportunity to pay for the shipping to get his book back. 

On 7/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, Tafkap said:

I just received a batch of 25 books I sent off back in March. 

About half of them seem to have a similar defect:  Crunched up on the top rear left corner. 

For the life of me, I think I would've noticed this before I sent them off?  Maybe, I'm mistaken but I don't think so.

Have you ever had comics come back with a similar defect that you were, almost certain, they didn't have before?

Thanks for any input.  

Just saw this post and I had the same thing happen to me. Sent in 6 books through my LCS, 2 clean and press and the rest graded. Thankfully one of the clean and press was my Hulk 181 and since it was express it came back OK. fast forward to mid-July and the 4 graded books come back with new damage, bottom left corner similar to the photos in this thread. LCS owner contacts CGC and they "admit" fault and they are willing to clean and press the damaged books and even send a shipping label. Not really happy, but OK we'll see how it goes. Fast forward another 3 weeks and the books are returned to my LCS with nothing done to them?? LCS owner calls CGC and the person he discussed this with no longer works there? They apologize for the screw up and ask him to send the books back and they'll clean, press and reholder them. I, like another post have had the books for 40 years. Never took them out until I decided for the first time to grade a few of my fav's. The 2nd clean and press (X-Men 100) still hasn't been returned.

I read a lot of comments from others that have way more experience than I do when it comes to CGC, etc... I sent in 25 books in June before I knew of this issue. I just hope that they get their together before they touch those books.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:02 PM, Tafkap said:

I just received a batch of 25 books I sent off back in March. 

About half of them seem to have a similar defect:  Crunched up on the top rear left corner. 

For the life of me, I think I would've noticed this before I sent them off?  Maybe, I'm mistaken but I don't think so.

Have you ever had comics come back with a similar defect that you were, almost certain, they didn't have before?

Thanks for any input.  

Grader's notes read as follows: "My bad!"  (:

Perhaps Metallica will allow them to use Damage Inc. as their theme song.  In all seriousness, so much can happen to a comic collection over decades.  Floods, fires, theft, damage from improper storage, etc.  To avoid all those possibilities and maintain the grade of the book from the time you purchased it, and then to have the books damaged, likely never to achieve the grade they deserved when they left your hands, is in a word, inexcusable.  

On 7/11/2021 at 5:40 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I know this has been said a million times, but I guess it’s needs to be said again:

Always scan your books prior to submission 

How does that help?

Someone can always say they got damaged while you shipped the book to me, or while in transit.  I could scan a NM book then damaged it while packing it up. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

All I know is letting people who you don't know pack up your books to send to CGC is risky enough.

Most people that work at a LCS are more worried about what they want to get for lunch over will your books be packed safely enough to get to CGC.

There are too many "what ifs" to point the finger out where in process where the damage truly occurred. 

Possible What If's:

LCS damaged all your books via pressing damage

LCS damaged all your books by dropping them in the store

LCS damaged all your books via packing the box up on the way to CGC

USPS/UPS/Fedex damaged all your books via shipping

CGC damaged all your books at some point in the receiving/grading/shipping process

USPS/UPS/Fedex damaged all your books via shipping back to the LCS because the box had so much force against it some of the books shifted in the CGC case and caused damage. aka SCS (shaken comic syndrome) 

In summary not sure how scanning your books makes much of a difference. Better than nothing, sure, but I cant be bothered to do that because they are so many scapegoats in this process its tough to prove where the fault truly occurred.  Now the OP case it's easier to at least deduct that the damage since all damage occurred in the same place was probably either in shipping or someone dropped all their books and the damage occurred to them all at the same time. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, harkeyed said:

Just saw this post and I had the same thing happen to me. Sent in 6 books through my LCS, 2 clean and press and the rest graded. Thankfully one of the clean and press was my Hulk 181 and since it was express it came back OK. fast forward to mid-July and the 4 graded books come back with new damage, bottom left corner similar to the photos in this thread. LCS owner contacts CGC and they "admit" fault and they are willing to clean and press the damaged books and even send a shipping label. Not really happy, but OK we'll see how it goes. Fast forward another 3 weeks and the books are returned to my LCS with nothing done to them?? LCS owner calls CGC and the person he discussed this with no longer works there? They apologize for the screw up and ask him to send the books back and they'll clean, press and reholder them. I, like another post have had the books for 40 years. Never took them out until I decided for the first time to grade a few of my fav's. The 2nd clean and press (X-Men 100) still hasn't been returned.

I read a lot of comments from others that have way more experience than I do when it comes to CGC, etc... I sent in 25 books in June before I knew of this issue. I just hope that they get their together before they touch those books.

A lot like my story...unfortunately.