• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Coming Back with New Defects?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tafkap said:

Update:

So now it's been one week since I discovered the damage.  My LCS owner spoke to CGC on Monday, then followed up via email and phone.  And....nothing.  No word from CGC.

I'm thinking maybe I should speak to them myself?

Do they usually take their good time to respond to issues such as this?

It's funny in a way:  For 40 years I stored these comics perfectly; meticulously picked out the cherry copies and had them pressed to be all 9.8's and send them off to the premier comic book company.

And then they come back like garbage!  It's funny.  Very funny.  

This may have been asked of you before, but do you have any pre-grading pics that you can compare to the current encapsulated ones?  If not, there's nothing you can do but you can always try to contact them to see if they'll help (I doubt you'll get very far, though).  There are just too many variables between you, the LCS, shipping, then CGC to determine when the damage happened without pics.  The good news is, some of these defects can be fixed with pressing (the non-color breaking ones, at least) but then you'd start the process all over and wait a long time to get them back.  Is there any option for you to send these to a well-known presser and sub them to CGC through them maybe (and not your LCS)?  Many of the good pressers have relationships with CGC and can sub books for you (if you're not able to have your own CGC account, that is).  I wouldn't go the same route you did this time just to avoid a repeat of this situation. 2c

1 hour ago, Tafkap said:

It's funny in a way:  For 40 years I stored these comics perfectly; meticulously picked out the cherry copies and had them pressed to be all 9.8's and send them off to the premier comic book company.

Absolutely love your sense of humour here.  lol  (thumbsu

On 7/12/2021 at 4:06 PM, Tafkap said:

One way or the other I'm going to have to get them all pressed and regraded.

Leak:  Internal Memo From CCG Ownership to CGC/CCS Employees:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Well done, as your exemplary work with this particular submittor here has managed to bag another live one for us.  :applause:

Remember our corporate mission:  Anything that adds to both our top and bottom lines means potential job promotions and possible employee bonuses for all of you as we seek to expand and grow our company going forward.  (thumbsu

Keep up the excellent work that you've all been doing in striving to ensure that our turnaround times achieve their corporate goal of going from extended long months and eventually hitting our target of a full year or more, hopefully sooner rather than later.  :devil:

Your CCG Ownership Group  <3

Edited by lou_fine

21 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

This may have been asked of you before, but do you have any pre-grading pics that you can compare to the current encapsulated ones?  If not, there's nothing you can do but you can always try to contact them to see if they'll help (I doubt you'll get very far, though).  There are just too many variables between you, the LCS, shipping, then CGC to determine when the damage happened without pics.  The good news is, some of these defects can be fixed with pressing (the non-color breaking ones, at least) but then you'd start the process all over and wait a long time to get them back.  Is there any option for you to send these to a well-known presser and sub them to CGC through them maybe (and not your LCS)?  Many of the good pressers have relationships with CGC and can sub books for you (if you're not able to have your own CGC account, that is).  I wouldn't go the same route you did this time just to avoid a repeat of this situation. 2c

Why would he need pre-grade photos?  The corners alone should knock these out of 9.6 so the damage happened post-grading. Just when after post-grading is the question.

4 hours ago, thesink said:

Why would he need pre-grade photos?  The corners alone should knock these out of 9.6 so the damage happened post-grading. Just when after post-grading is the question.

Two things:

1. not all of his books are at the 9.6 grade (the ones damaged, that is).  Some are more damaged than others...

2. in a perfect world he wouldn't need pre-graded pics but with SCS and mishandling in the opening/receiving phase it's the only way to have some recourse to make a case against damage like this if it didn't happen post-encapsulation.  Likely it doesn't matter in the end but it's a way to try to determine when/where the damage occurred.  Also keep in mind he went through an LCS to have his books graded which is adding yet another 'handling' in the chain of events leading to him getting back the books.

28 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Two things:

1. not all of his books are at the 9.6 grade (the ones damaged, that is).  Some are more damaged than others...

2. in a perfect world he wouldn't need pre-graded pics but with SCS and mishandling in the opening/receiving phase it's the only way to have some recourse to make a case against damage like this if it didn't happen post-encapsulation.  Likely it doesn't matter in the end but it's a way to try to determine when/where the damage occurred.  Also keep in mind he went through an LCS to have his books graded which is adding yet another 'handling' in the chain of events leading to him getting back the books.

I need to go back to the 4th grade for reading comprehension, as I thought they were graded 9.6-9.8, but that’s what the author thought they’d be. I agree with you, pre-grade photos might be helpful.

Edited by thesink
Idiocy

On 7/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, Tafkap said:

Update:

So now it's been one week since I discovered the damage.  My LCS owner spoke to CGC on Monday, then followed up via email and phone.  And....nothing.  No word from CGC.

@BigLeagueCHEW

4 hours ago, thesink said:

I need to go back to the 4th grade for reading comprehension, as I thought they were graded 9.6-9.8, but that’s what the author thought they’d be. I agree with you, pre-grade photos might be helpful.

It would be less confusing if the OP would post FULL scans of the books as has been requested here multiple times. 

I’ve noticed an increase in damage in the last few months as have several other locals who are subbing books.  The most annoying one for me is this crunch which was not there when the book left, it was packaged with 16 others that came back with no damage.  The packaging was overkill and I have never had anything damaged in shipping.  It became even more frustrating when I callled customer service.  The call was about 6 weeks after the book arrived.  I was extremely ill when the books arrived and was preoccupied with recovery and did not inspect them until I was somewhat recovered.  Apparently CGC only accepts damage complaints for two weeks after shipping, after that tough luck buddy.  I don’t know how they can absolve themselves of negligence,  I get having a time limit but when i asked for some leniency on the time constraint as I was literally fighting for my life at that time, they still said sorry we won’t help you.  I do work occasionally for other collectors and now request them to view the books prior to packing to absolve myself from any damage which may occur during CGC handling.E07F5719-7D1E-493E-9379-52DF22745753.thumb.jpeg.381ee81a250c46d24dd0e9b40a345f23.jpeg

F44FC84D-0AA4-4270-B042-C5A25E78E4C0.thumb.jpeg.1b7ecf550a9538f60d7fe4e04ae65c24.jpeg

Edited by 427Impaler

On 7/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, Tafkap said:

Update:

CGC's communication is not a strong point. 

On 7/19/2021 at 9:46 AM, 427Impaler said:

I’ve noticed an increase in damage in the last few months as have several other locals who are subbing books.  The most annoying one for me is this crunch which was not there when the book left, it was packaged with 16 others that came back with no damage.  The packaging was overkill and I have never had anything damaged in shipping.  It became even more frustrating when I callled customer service.  The call was about 6 weeks after the book arrived.  I was extremely ill when the books arrived and was preoccupied with recovery and did not inspect them until I was somewhat recovered.  Apparently CGC only accepts damage complaints for two weeks after shipping, after that tough luck buddy.  I don’t know how they can absolve themselves of negligence,  I get having a time limit but when i asked for some leniency on the time constraint as I was literally fighting for my life at that time, they still said sorry we won’t help you.  I do work occasionally for other collectors and now request them to view the books prior to packing to absolve myself from any damage which may occur during CGC handling.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your books and your illness. Hope you are well on the road to recovery!

On 7/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, SuperBird said:

CGC's communication is not a strong point. 

The boardie who showed me his damage was getting nowhere calling CGC so I called for him.  For some reason I'm really good on phones.  I did have to repeat myself several times to the rep tho and I was using simple words.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, kav said:

The boardie who showed me his damage was getting nowhere calling CGC so I called for him.  For some reason I'm really good on phones.  I did have to repeat myself several times to the rep tho and I was using simple words.

At one point he said "we dont send things out damaged".  I wanted to say how would you possibly know that?

On 7/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, Tafkap said:

It's enough to not make me want to do anything with comics period.  If you can't trust your best comics to CGC then what's the point?  Waiting 4 months or longer for damaged comics?  Now worth a fraction of what they should be.

You could always read them. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:24 PM, Tafkap said:

Update:  So after 2 weeks CGC has agreed to press and regrade my comics.  So in about another year or so I should get them all back....

Something for you to ponder while you are waiting for your press and regrade:  hm

Have you ever sent your food order back to the kitchen at a restaurant and then after getting it back, wonder if they added an little "extra something special" into your plate of food?  :fear:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Probably not, but are you wondering if the seller misrepresented the book? in pics? and then sent that to you?

Only thing I can think is to check the cert numbers in the slab you bought's pics, and the one they actually sent :foryou: 

On 8/16/2021 at 9:12 AM, luca1985 said:

Is it possible for a comic to slip inside the slab even if carefully wrapped in multiple layers of pluriball and delivered inside an undamaged box?

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG