• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Grading: Major Defect's effect on otherwise VF+ Book?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi All

I am trying to improve my grading skills.  I'm pretty new at this.  If a book grades at VF+ in all categories but has a major defect such as a 1 inch split spine, how does that impact the overall grade?  Are the categories averaged out?  What is the methodology for approaching a book like this?  I seem to see it a lot and could use some great advice.

Thanks all

Alec

I think every situation is a little different and it's difficult to answer without pictures and specifics. 

I learned allot by posting books in the "spare a grade" section and grading other people's books. It's a great way to see a variety of defects and how experienced collectors evaluate the grades. 

3 hours ago, Elroy Jetson said:

Hi All

I am trying to improve my grading skills.  I'm pretty new at this.  If a book grades at VF+ in all categories but has a major defect such as a 1 inch split spine, how does that impact the overall grade?  Are the categories averaged out? 

If your goal is to sell it loose, then no the defect does not average out. The correct grade would be whichever grade allows your worse defect, which would be a 1 inch spine split. In this case it's a 4.0, so that's the grade of your comic. You can read the generally accepted grading guidelines here.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

5 hours ago, Elroy Jetson said:

Hi All

I am trying to improve my grading skills.  I'm pretty new at this.  If a book grades at VF+ in all categories but has a major defect such as a 1 inch split spine, how does that impact the overall grade?  Are the categories averaged out?  What is the methodology for approaching a book like this?  I seem to see it a lot and could use some great advice.

Thanks all

Alec

Does Overstreet still publish a grading guide?  It's a great place to start...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Even if they don't, buy one of their older ones. It was my grail when I was learning...get multiple copies too if possible. Some show better images than others. 

12 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

10 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Even if they don't, buy one of their older ones. It was my grail when I was learning...get multiple copies too if possible. Some show better images than others. 

Definately recommended for any serious collector.

Illustrations of different books/covers showing the defects allowed in each grade, also, tons of info on comic books such as...

The evolution of grading, how to grade a comic book, shipping comic books, restoration (w/pics)

This is the newest one, I have the 2016 edition and the 1st edition from 1992 when it was still a 100 point grading system

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-6th-edition

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg