• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miller Daredevils outside the Daredevil series
1 1

56 posts in this topic

Thanks for all your help everyone!  I went ahead and picked up a few, but it looks like I have my work cut out for me if I want to get all of Miller's DD work!  (Side note, if anyone happens to know where I could find a reasonably priced Comics Journal #58...)

0719211756.jpg

On 7/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, Austin_t_a said:

Thanks for all your help everyone!  I went ahead and picked up a few, but it looks like I have my work cut out for me if I want to get all of Miller's DD work!  (Side note, if anyone happens to know where I could find a reasonably priced Comics Journal #58...)

0719211756.jpg

That ASM 219...

Is Murdock Pete’s lawyer in that one?

These are from the DD Omnibus. I actually have of these actual items, but it was easier to just get the images from a detailed review of the omnibus I found.

These are the Marvel Press Poster, the cover of Fantaco's DD Chronicles (mentioned earlier), and an FM cover from Marvel Comics Megazine, which ran for 6 issues in the 90's, and basically reprinted 6 sequential issues worth of some of the best of Marvel's 80's output including Miller's DD and Byrne's FF.

dd84poster.JPG

ddchronicles.JPG

ddmegacover.JPG

On 7/18/2021 at 9:49 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Miller provided full scripts for Born Again but not layouts.

Really. I was under the impression that he did layouts. Good to know.

There seems to be a lot of grey area around who did the layouts / pencils when Janson started pencilling in the #180's and i thought it was a similar situation with the Dave Mazzuchelli issues but you could be right.

Edited by VintageComics

From CBR (last year) https://www.cbr.com/daredevil-frank-miller-born-again-return/

================================================================

TwoMorrows' Back issue #21 has the story, from an interview with Ralph Macchio, who had taken over as the editor on Daredevil around Daredevil #212.

Philippe Cordier: When Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli did he masterpiece 'Born Again' storyline, you had already been the editor of Daredevil for quite a few issues. What do you recall of that time on the book? Did you realize you were working on seven important issues?

Ralph Macchio: I knew that with Frank and David teamed up we were in for a great ride, though I had no idea 'Born Again' would become a kind of seminal series in comics. I was always flattered when people would come up to me and mention that it was their favorite run of books, not only of the Daredevil comic, but of comics entirely.

I remember calling Frank up and asking him if he wanted to come back to Daredevil after Denny left and him telling me he wanted to think about it briefly. Once he agreed, he asked me if I thought David would mind working on full -script rather than plot, and I answered I didn't think it would be a problem at all. Frank and David worked hand in glove and I'm immensely pround to have edited that series. It's a high-water mark for both Frank and David and for the Daredevil comic.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:33 AM, VintageComics said:

Really. I was under the impression that he did layouts. Good to know.

There seems to be a lot of grey area around who did the layouts / pencils when Janson started pencilling in the #180's and i thought it was a similar situation with the Dave Mazzuchelli issues but you could be right.

There was some grey area about that, but it has since been resolved through the combined efforts of several OA collectors along with some Q&A's with Janson.  The information was shared in the OA section a month or two ago.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

There was some grey area about that, but it has since been resolved through the combined efforts of several OA collectors along with some Q&A's with Janson.  The information was shared in the OA section a month or two ago.

Ah, wild.

Can you get the condensed version? I can try to dig it up but I rarely go into the OA forum.