• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Romita Sig?

11 posts in this topic

As a general rule, I don't collect signed comics. But my one exception to this rule is John Romita Sr., whose work I greatly admire (I treasure the ASM 50 he signed for me years ago).

Though now 91, I know he still signs. Unfortunately, like many who reach that age, his signature (in my opinion) is starting to show the effect of the years. However, while browsing some ASM comics for sale that he recently (January) signed, I couldn't help noticing the stark difference in the signatures. Below are two comics signed the same day. Call me crazy, but looking at the sigs it looks like two different people have signed. Then I noticed the yellow label on both - "signed by John Romita" - not signed by John Romita Sr.

Is it possible that Sr. signed one and Jr. signed the other and, technically and I guess legally, the labels on both are, by omission, 100% accurate?

177018108_5817326(1).thumb.jpg.f9d553f9a744126b27730fe3c196baa3.jpg

5815860.thumb.jpg.b60ad02cd30198a230a8f464c559441a.jpg

I am no expert but I will say this

the 67 looks a bit off 

what I have seen of JRS's signatures is he is pretty darn great at placement of said signature .... unless that specific area of 67 was taped off I just don't see him signing over the Spider-Man logo 

again, things may have changed with age/health but that's my .02

oh and I don't think you need to be concerned as I believe Sr is just listed as John Romita on yellow labels while JRJR is listed as Jr .... I guess it would be good if both were more clearly distinguished 

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

As a general rule, I don't collect signed comics. But my one exception to this rule is John Romita Sr., whose work I greatly admire (I treasure the ASM 50 he signed for me years ago).

Though now 91, I know he still signs. Unfortunately, like many who reach that age, his signature (in my opinion) is starting to show the effect of the years. However, while browsing some ASM comics for sale that he recently (January) signed, I couldn't help noticing the stark difference in the signatures. Below are two comics signed the same day. Call me crazy, but looking at the sigs it looks like two different people have signed. Then I noticed the yellow label on both - "signed by John Romita" - not signed by John Romita Sr.

Is it possible that Sr. signed one and Jr. signed the other and, technically and I guess legally, the labels on both are, by omission, 100% accurate?

Both are Sr.'s tracks.  

First one looks like the Sharpie was running low or had a dry spot, second just looks like a typical smeary silver Sharpie. Not saying age doesn't play a factor but these looks more like defects with the writing implements used.

Over the years, his signature and what he signs has changed a bit... (Naturally). In the 60's-70's, he didn't go by Sr. all the time. (John Romita, Jr.'s American debut was in 1977.) 

These sigs were obtained at a convention in 1975.

ASM121-fp-jsg.jpg

Edited by sckao

On 7/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, Black_Adam said:

I’ve had nearly 200 books signed by Romita Sr over the past two years.  Both are his sigs.  When you hit 90, you have good days and bad.