• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a way to find out why a card is Pristine 10 and not Perfect 10 if no subgrades are listed?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2021 at 4:08 AM, hemmisFEAR said:

Just got some returns and got a Pristine 10 on one, though I didn't select the option to have sub-grades. Would I have to resubmit or is there another way to find out what subgrades the card received?

You would need to resubmit and add subgrades to it. From my understanding, they only log subgrades when a customer ask for it. No subgrades and subgrades are graded differently....

If you don't pay for subgrades, they literally do not allow a card to be a 'Perfect 10'  The best a card can get without subgrades being paid for is a 'Pristine 10'. 

You can get a Pristine 10 if at least 3 of the 4 areas that they do subgrades for (Centering, Surface, Corners and Edges) are a 10, and the 4th is a 9.5 or a 10. 

For a Perfect 10, you must pay for subgrades and all 4 must be 10's; however if you aren't paying for subgrades, you may have a Pristine 10 that has 4 subgrades of 10 and could have been a Perfect 10, but you can't know unless you pay for the subgrades, which sounds maddening.

Unfortunately, if you send them back a card with no subgrades that is a Pristine 10, even though CGC freely admits that they will only give you a Pristine 10 at best without subgrades, I would bet that they wouldn't allow you to get back a regraded Pristine 10 and have it be a Perfect 10 with paid-for subgrades.  They will likely pick one of the 4 areas that isn't quite as perfect as the other 3 and call it a 9.5.  JUST MY OPINION

On 7/22/2021 at 1:19 PM, Holku said:

If you don't pay for subgrades, they literally do not allow a card to be a 'Perfect 10'  The best a card can get without subgrades being paid for is a 'Pristine 10'. 

You can get a Pristine 10 if at least 3 of the 4 areas that they do subgrades for (Centering, Surface, Corners and Edges) are a 10, and the 4th is a 9.5 or a 10. 

For a Perfect 10, you must pay for subgrades and all 4 must be 10's; however if you aren't paying for subgrades, you may have a Pristine 10 that has 4 subgrades of 10 and could have been a Perfect 10, but you can't know unless you pay for the subgrades, which sounds maddening.

Unfortunately, if you send them back a card with no subgrades that is a Pristine 10, even though CGC freely admits that they will only give you a Pristine 10 at best without subgrades, I would bet that they wouldn't allow you to get back a regraded Pristine 10 and have it be a Perfect 10 with paid-for subgrades.  They will likely pick one of the 4 areas that isn't quite as perfect as the other 3 and call it a 9.5.  JUST MY OPINION

Is there anywhere on the site that is easy this or has anyone gotten this as a response to an email or call or forum post?? Cuz That is WILD!!

On 7/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, Rufuss C. Kingston said:

Well, one way they write down on paper/enter into the computer, which spits it out on the slab, and the other they keep it in their head and figure out a final grade..... And then forget the mental subgrades.

That or they have AI grade subgraded cards and no subgrades are graded by a person just looking it over and saying, "this card looks like a solid 7.43 so it'll be a 7.5." Lol. $10 extra a card for subgrades is crazy... only makes sense they use AI on them

On 7/23/2021 at 10:20 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

That or they have AI grade subgraded cards and no subgrades are graded by a person just looking it over and saying, "this card looks like a solid 7.43 so it'll be a 7.5." Lol. $10 extra a card for subgrades is crazy... only makes sense they use AI on them

$10 would ONLY be worth it if your card was all 10's, but CGC has demonstrated if you check out ebay listings that they pretty much don't allow cards to be perfect 10's.  So subgrades are a complete waste of money.  The only exception to this MIGHT be if you get back a pristine 10 card, send it back in for regrading with sub-grades..

On 7/22/2021 at 1:19 PM, Holku said:

That sounds like the scoring for Figure Skating!:whatthe:

If the PSA purists can live without subgrades, I can too - in fact, I have a mixture of both CGC versions and I find that all my attention is drawn toward the subgrades instead of just quickly glancing at the final grade, then the card at hand. I just wish they'd center the card info a little better when subgrades aren't present.