• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but I wouldn't pay even $60 to $80 for this piece of so-called artwork, let alone their estimate of $60M to $80M:  :p

Mark Rothko, <i>No. 7</i> (1951). Photo courtesy of Sotheby's.

Then again, I guess collectors in the fine art and abstract art world probably thinks we are just as crazy to pay the kind of prices that we do for our funny books like that Supes 1 which Vinnie is holding.  (shrug)  :takeit:

This piece is not sporting any artistic skills. Its warm air. The emperor is not wearing any cloth.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, Gotham Kid said:

my daughter painted something almost identical...

:gossip: when she was 3

On 10/6/2021 at 11:58 PM, Mr bla bla said:

This piece is not sporting any artistic skills. Its warm air. The emperor is not wearing any cloth.

Oh, come on you guys...................isn't it more stylistic and colorful than this one here that sold for a whopping $43.8M back in 2013:  lol

$43.8 million for this?!

After all these years and with Covid now firmly in place, makes me wonder how much more this one here would be worth now with the crazed crypto-like money out there nowadays.  hm  :bigsmile:

On 10/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Oh, come on you guys...................isn't it more stylistic and colorful than this one here that sold for a whopping $43.8M back in 2013:  lol

$43.8 million for this?!

my daughter also painted one just like that, again when she was about 3.

I went out to buy more colors that day.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/7/2021 at 2:01 AM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but I wouldn't pay even $60 to $80 for this piece of so-called artwork, let alone their estimate of $60M to $80M:  :p

Mark Rothko, <i>No. 7</i> (1951). Photo courtesy of Sotheby's.

Then again, I guess collectors in the fine art and abstract art world probably thinks we are just as crazy to pay the kind of prices that we do for our funny books like that Supes 1 which Vinnie is holding.  (shrug)  :takeit:

For what it's worth, paintings by Rothko are 10000% meant to be experienced in person. A jpg isn't a fair representation of his work at all. They're large and are designed to envelop the viewer. I'm not the biggest fan, to be honest, but they're paintings that are designed to be experienced in person. 

The subject of Mark Rothko's art is actually very, very deep. There's discussion of every aspect of his work (both from fans and detractors) including very serious discussion about how they should even be viewed. He wanted viewers to be very close to the paintings, so they overwhelmed their field of vision. They were meant to be seen over a long period of time. Sitting and looking for minutes at a time changes what you see. The boundaries between the color fields come alive the more you take them in. For some it's a very meditative, spiritual experience- which was his aim. People who like his work like it intensely.

On the subject of spirituality in Rothko's work, there is a Rothko Chapel, in Houston (wikipedia description follows)

The Rothko Chapel is a non-denominational chapel in Houston, Texas, founded by John and Dominique de Menil. The interior serves not only as a chapel, but also as a major work of modern art. On its walls are fourteen black but color-hued paintings by Mark Rothko. The shape of the building, an octagon inscribed in a Greek cross, and the design of the chapel was largely influenced by the artist. The chapel sits two miles southwest of downtown in the Montrose neighborhood, situated between the building housing the Menil Collection and the Chapel of Saint Basil on the campus of the University of Saint Thomas. About 55,000 people visit the chapel each year.[2]

Susan J. Barnes states "The Rothko Chapel...became the world's first broadly ecumenical center, a holy place open to all religions and belonging to none. It became a center for international cultural, religious, and philosophical exchanges, for colloquia and performances. And it became a place of private prayer for individuals of all faiths" [3]

On September 16, 2000, the Rothko Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.rothkochapel.org/

On 10/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, szav said:

I’ll give you 20 million $USD for this masterpiece sir.

Sold!! hahahahahahaha!! I will say It was painstaking not to eat the medium while developing the masterpiece!! The exact image i was able to culminate would be difficult to replicate exactly though as the art itself was devoured soon after it was procured!!

On 10/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, rob_react said:

more in-depth

all jokes aside that is pretty cool stuff!! My wife and I do have some abstract-esque type of art in our home that we use to tie together furniture and develop the space. This type of art works very well in that manner for us. It can cool down or brighten up an area and is usually simply visually easy on the eye and quite calming to visualize without overwhelming. This gentlemen does state why so much of it is hard to replicate though and that’s because much it is essentially tinkering to achieve an affect. I can appreciate it for sure but i do think millions of dollars is quite absurd for much of this type of art bc as hard as it is to replicate exactly some tinkering and practice could find you very close to something almost equally as calming on the eyes as to where no matter how much practice i could never replicate a Frazetta or a Wrightson Frankenstein for example. Cool post though for sure and fun to watch. 

On 10/7/2021 at 3:30 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

that’s crazy!! You can get a very similar piece of art by simply sticking 3 Starbursts together and zooming in 🤷‍♂️🤣

2CBBD4C0-85E9-41D0-A068-C2B14E94B5C8.jpeg

This just looks like a Warhol.. :sumo:

On 10/7/2021 at 1:16 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

all jokes aside that is pretty cool stuff!! My wife and I do have some abstract-esque type of art in our home that we use to tie together furniture and develop the space. This type of art works very well in that manner for us. It can cool down or brighten up an area and is usually simply visually easy on the eye and quite calming to visualize without overwhelming. This gentlemen does state why so much of it is hard to replicate though and that’s because much it is essentially tinkering to achieve an affect. I can appreciate it for sure but i do think millions of dollars is quite absurd for much of this type of art bc as hard as it is to replicate exactly some tinkering and practice could find you very close to something almost equally as calming on the eyes as to where no matter how much practice i could never replicate a Frazetta or a Wrightson Frankenstein for example. Cool post though for sure and fun to watch. 

Well, that's the other part. Until Rothko had the idea to paint like this, the idea to paint like this didn't exist. That's what people are paying money for. It's the conceptual breakthrough and Rothko's place in one of the most important parts of art history. The value isn't in the complexity of the technique. I was just pointing out that the techniques involved are complex because Rothko was the subject earlier in the thread and I know a bit about his practice. 

There are plenty of artists who sell for millions of dollars (tens of millions) who don't have a process nearly as complicated as Rothko's. This is even more true as we get closer to the present day where the concept is much more important than craft or aesthetics in the minds of many in the art world. I go to international art fairs (most often Art Basel Miami Beach and the satellite shows) so I see the full breadth of this stuff. You can walk around a show like that and play "trash or treasure" trying to guess if a work is a pile of trash, or a sculpture 

a bronze trash bag