• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 7:30 AM, buttock said:

When that book dropped people immediately said it was overgraded, they should have gone with CGC, CBCS affected the sale price, etc.  

Sorry but what you are saying about Suspense Comics 3 (Continental) slabbed 9.2 does not make sense. Record auction price was set at the time, and unicorn vintage comic collectors were happy to bid aggressively. Market accelerated :flipbait: after Covid and after the slabbed sportscard /Goldin collector-dealers entered the market in 2021.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Not me. 9.6 AF 15 over highest graded Bats 1. ($ amount not being. a factor) 

Really? A 9.6 AF 15 which there are four of over the one and only Batman 1 9.4? Plus over 2,200 Blue Label AF 15's and only 128 Batman's.  Totally respect your choice, I'm thinking its the 1st appearance thing that's your main reason. But to have the officially highest graded in the universe Batman 1........

On 8/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, Professor K said:

Really? A 9.6 AF 15 which there are four of over the one and only Batman 1 9.4? Plus over 2,200 Blue Label AF 15's and only 128 Batman's.  Totally respect your choice, I'm thinking its the 1st appearance thing that's your main reason. But to have the officially highest graded in the universe Batman 1........

Well, “there is another…”. Safely estimated as a 9.4, maybe 9.6.  Or a press away at worst.  But overall, Batman 1 is first appearance of 2 villains. While AF 15 is first appearance of Spider-Man.   And Bat 1 is in reality only 20 years older, which continues to equalize the two books agewise every decade.  gA vs SA maybe be a distinction that doesn’t register at all for the new 5M buyers today.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:43 PM, Professor K said:

Yep. Highest graded 1st appearance of the wall crawler trumps Bats 1 for me every time.  

On 8/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, Professor K said:

I'd rather have 1st Joker and 1st Catwoman than 1st spider-man. 10000%

On 8/26/2021 at 12:09 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Yep. Highest graded 1st appearance of the wall crawler trumps Bats 1 for me every time.  

@Chicago Boy Did you start drinking ? If so you should have talked to @Cat-Man_America and @woowoofirst we are experts on that Dark night  AlE stuff See the source image:baiting:

Edited by woowoo

On 8/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, woowoo said:

@Chicago Boy Did you start drinking ? If so you should have talked to @Cat-Man_America and @woowoofirst we are experts on that Dark night  AlE stuff See the source image:baiting:

You called?  I'm partially here since you crossed out the night :slapfight:.

But I can see why Chicago Boy would choose AF 15 over Bat 1.. It's because Robin is in the cover so that would be a deduction of $1 mil on that 9.4 copy.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, Aman619 said:

Well, “there is another…”. Safely estimated as a 9.4, maybe 9.6.  Or a press away at worst.  But overall, Batman 1 is first appearance of 2 villains. While AF 15 is first appearance of Spider-Man.   And Bat 1 is in reality only 20 years older, which continues to equalize the two books agewise every decade.  gA vs SA maybe be a distinction that doesn’t register at all for the new 5M buyers today.

That is a good point about the difference between 60 and 80 years.  For anyone below 50 the early 60s seem as prehistoric as the early 40s.  But aside from the numbers themselves those 20 years had a lot of history in them which will remain common knowledge for many generations to come.  There's been a lot of history since the early 60s, but Batman comics also shared the planet with fans during World War II, which greatly increases the feeling that Batman and other Golden Age heroes are a part of our history and culture.   

The other big difference is how many comics were saved.  That changed a lot from the 60s onward.  Far fewer books were destroyed.  Marvel even sold back issues for a while.    

So anyone who talks about the highest graded Batman 1 versus the highest graded AF 15 is thinking almost exclusively about a number generated recently and subjectively with all sorts of other criteria, and overlooking the fact that when it comes down to how many existing copies of AF 15 would look to the average person like they came straight from the newsstand versus how many of Batman 1s would pass the same test.  And, though I am a big fan of both books (I would even go so far as to say Bat 1 is a contender for best GA book of all, just as AF15 is the best SA book), I have to acknowledge that the difference in rarity between them, in all grades, is a very large number.   So if a tie-breaking factor is the genuine rarity of the book, then a minty looking Bat 1 wins out over a minty looking AF15.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:09 PM, Chicago Boy said:

A few close associates are well aware of my love for Batman but I must say if I had to pick between Batman 1 in 9.4 and Amazing Fantasy 15 in 9.6 (the specific copies on Heritage), I honestly couldn’t pick.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:28 PM, Dark Knight said:

You called?  I'm partially here since you crossed out the night :slapfight:.

But I can see why Chicago Boy would choose AF 15 over Bat 1.. It's because Robin is in the cover so that would be a deduction of $1 mil on that 9.4 copy.

Oh he's the one who thinks it was all downhill since Robin showed up? I remember somebody here really despised Robin. I kind of feel the same.

Just throwing this out there- With me when it comes to books around 1963 and older I don't put to much stock into anything from about 8.5 or higher. The differences are usually miniscule and a lot of time the final grades are questionable. In other words I have about the same level of awe for a 8.5 Bat 1 or AF 15 then I do for a 9.4 or 9.6

Btw I got this in the mail today from Heritage. Came in a bag like the Promise catalog did. Anyone else get this? 

1941.jpg

Edited by Professor K
bat 1 scan

On 8/26/2021 at 5:34 PM, Professor K said:

Oh it's you! 

Big Robin fan here (as Gotham Kid likes to make fun of ). Without Robin  and the 1960's TV show I don't  think, Bats is as big as he is today.  Some great Robin stories over the years but he certainly doesn't need the Boy Wonder anymore 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 8/26/2021 at 6:18 PM, Professor K said:

Oh he's the one who thinks it was all downhill since Robin showed up? I remember somebody here really despised Robin. I kind of feel the same.

Just throwing this out there- With me when it comes to books around 1963 and older I don't put to much stock into anything from about 8.5 or higher. The differences are usually miniscule and a lot of time the final grades are questionable. In other words I have about the same level of awe for a 8.5 Bat 1 or AF 15 then I do for a 9.4 or 9.6

Btw I got this in the mail today from Heritage. Came in a bag like the Promise catalog did. Anyone else get this? 

1941.jpg

Yup, actually five catalogs including this "Platinum" session book and the Promise one.  I've been keeping too many of them over the years. Starting to pile up!  

On 8/26/2021 at 5:21 PM, Pantodude said:
On 8/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, Professor K said:

1941.jpg

Expand  

Yup, actually five catalogs including this "Platinum" session book and the Promise one.  I've been keeping too many of them over the years. Starting to pile up!  

This might help

recycle.jpg