• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 6:01 AM, batman_fan said:

A few close associates are well aware of my love for Batman but I must say if I had to pick between Batman 1 in 9.4 and Amazing Fantasy 15 in 9.6 (the specific copies on Heritage), I honestly couldn’t pick.

For investment purposes, I would take the AF 15.

Every time some guy who has made big money on Wall Street or Silicon Valley comes back into the hobby and starts buying like crazy, what is the first title they always seem to focus on?  Spider-Man.

Also, I think people are forgetting that Batman 1 is the most plentiful GA mega-key there is.  The only other issue that comes even close is Captain America 1.  It is the Hulk 181 of GA mega-keys. 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, tth2 said:

For investment purposes, I would take the AF 15.

Every time some guy who has made big money on Wall Street or Silicon Valley comes back into the hobby and starts buying like crazy, what is the first title they always seem to focus on?  Spider-Man.

Also, I think people are forgetting that Batman 1 is the most plentiful GA mega-key there is.  The only other issue that comes even close is Captain America 1.  It is the Hulk 181 of GA mega-keys. 

Yeah, but Spider-Man is so boring. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, tth2 said:

Far more AF 15s (2216 U.S. and 48 U.K.) than Batman 1s (128) on the census.  Far more in high grade AF 15s (24 copies 9.0+) than Batman 1s (4 copies 9.0+).  And the AF 15 numbers are certain to increase more significantly than the Batman 1 count.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, rob_react said:

I'd rather have 1st Joker and 1st Catwoman than 1st spider-man. 10000%

If it was just this factor alone and nothing else, then I would take the AF 15 over the Bat 1.  :whatthe:

But since these 2 books are more than just about the first appearances of these 3 iconic comic book characters, if you consider every collectible factor about these 2 books, choosing the Bat 1 over the Af 15 is a no-brainer to me.  (thumbsu

On 8/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, innocuous said:

I took a look at the back of the Platinum session catalog as well. It looks like I got the pre-Robin version.

heritage-bat.thumb.jpg.e2db859290709c8a16478aad35bfd43f.jpg

Very cool :signfunny:. Until I saw this I never really took notice that they are staring at each other while swinging on the ropes. Hopefully it was just a quick glance. 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:24 AM, Dark Knight said:

This debate is posted in the Golden Age section.. Of course majority would pick Bat 1 lol

Let's leave the spiderman cheerleaders out of the debate. It'll be bad enough when the 9.6 hits 4Mil and they start to profess that their 2.0 copy now should easily be worth 150-200K

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 8/27/2021 at 2:24 AM, Dark Knight said:

This debate is posted in the Golden Age section.. Of course majority would pick Bat 1 lol

AF 15 for me, 3rd biggest book in the hobby and the 4th place book isn’t even close.

I love Batman almost as much as Spidey... and if it was a 9.0 Batman 1 I could easily choose, but a 9.4 from 1940 is in a pretty rarified atmosphere. Tough choice, but AF 15 in 9.6 would be for me also. An Action 1 would just be a lottery ticket for me, I'd sell it right away. I'd also choose a 9.6 FF 1 over any GA book... but that's my inner fanboy doing the thinking there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The only book for me that the highest graded AF 15 doesn't come close to are an Action 1 & Tec 27.  I'd take the 6.0 or 7.0 Tec 27 over the 9.6 AF 15 if value didn't' play a factor in my choice. However, once again, highest graded AF 15 over the highest sole graded Bats 1 any day of the week

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 8/27/2021 at 10:10 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 8/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, tth2 said:

Far more AF 15s (2216 U.S. and 48 U.K.) than Batman 1s (128) on the census.  Far more in high grade AF 15s (24 copies 9.0+) than Batman 1s (4 copies 9.0+).  And the AF 15 numbers are certain to increase more significantly than the Batman 1 count.

Sigh.  Of course Batman 1 is much more scarce than AF 15.

I was talking about Batman 1 relative to other GA mega-keys.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:18 AM, jimjum12 said:

I love Batman almost as much as Spidey... and if it was a 9.0 Batman 1 I could easily choose, but a 9.4 from 1940 is in a pretty rarified atmosphere. Tough choice, but AF 15 in 9.6 would be for me also. An Action 1 would just be a lottery ticket for me, I'd sell it right away. I'd also choose a 9.6 FF 1 over any GA book... but that's my inner fanboy doing the thinking there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

There are 2 9.6 FF 1's out there :whistle:

On 8/27/2021 at 3:13 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/26/2021 at 11:24 PM, Dark Knight said:

Let's leave the spiderman cheerleaders out of the debate. It'll be bad enough when the 9.6 hits 4Mil and they start to profess that their 2.0 copy now should easily be worth 150-200K

I have no problem with that.. As long as I can get $1 mil for my copy :devil:

Well Batman is my numero uno favorite in DC and Spidey is my numero uno in Marvel.  Because Batman #1 does not feature his 1st app and not even his origin and also Robin is on the cover, if we're basing this off without monetary value, I think I would choose AF 15.  1st app/origin story plus better cover. Oh and I do enjoy the storyline too! Now if this were Tec 27 instead of Bat 1, then it's a no contest for me and would pick Tec 27 without thinking twice.