• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2021 at 9:12 PM, MrBedrock said:

You have made this statement twice and I am curious which jury you are referring to? An argument could be made that Banksy is the single most famous artist working today. If that is true then the jury has already decided.

He might just be the most famous living artist. There are other options (KAWS, Shepard Fairey, Kusama, Jeff Koons, Ai WeiWei), but with the notoriety factor and the mystery of his identity, Banksy is like catnip for both the art world and the public at large. If you're interested in Banksy, I'm particular to the documentary Banksy Does New York about his "residency" in NYC in 2014 (where he attempted to do 31 clandestine works over 31 nights) and the attendant media frenzy it caused. I know a few of people who are interviewed and know many more by reputation, so I can vouch for the fact that they did their homework. 

His most famous single work is probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_is_in_the_Bin

(Spoiler alert! Some of you are not going to like that painting!)

Edited by rob_react

On 1/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, szav said:

This statement could be construed as recognition on some level that the piece is not actually that special or eye catching …the story of that piece is certainly amusing,  but to each their own on interpreting the artistic merit and worthiness of acclaim. 

A prankster could burn the thing to ashes and the incident would just add to the legend, and probably not affect its value, and the now 30 million dollar value after auction ashes would be proudly put on display somewhere.

And if that makes people happy or feel moved by it all… good for them.

winner winner chicken dinner

The recognition is that there's a permanent gap between what the art world actually is and what some people in this thread think the art world should be and I'm aware enough to recognize it and predict that the response would come. 

On 1/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, szav said:

The art world, or art in general, is what it is, not what anyone thinks it should be, and this applies to you just as much as it does to me or anyone ...I just don't like some of the same art that you and others do.  Or perhaps I'm not understanding ... what is "the art world" in your opinion? and what is it that you think I and others think it should be?

On the subject of the quality of modern art, I wonder if anyone's ever done a fairly good study or survey on people's ratings of the quality of any particular famous pieces of art from different eras, and which artists generally rate the best.  I'd be particularly interested in cross cultural ratings, that is how people who are less likely to have seen the art work previously rate it.  Not that this would be a final say, because of course historical context matters.  But I'm just curious from an aesthetic standpoint.

The "art world" is a community much like the community we're taking part in here. In that world, instead of going to San Diego Comic Con I go to Art Basel Miami Beach. All apologies to San Diego, but Art Basel Miami Beach is a lot more fun :cheers: (I've been there five times and San Diego only once.) 

Anyway, there are hundreds of years of thought, criticism and commerce that have evolved to represent the current framework in which we judge and value artwork in 2022.  The criticism of someone like John Ruskin, who died 122 years ago, is still referenced today because his ideas are foundational about the way that we look at art today. And people have been building on those ideas for more than a century.

There's a whole network of dealers, auction houses, curators, museums, artists, critics and buyers that combine to create the collective framework.

Whether or not it makes sense to someone who doesn't have a sense of that framework doesn't mean that there's not a logic to the way that art is evaluated in 2022. That's the point I'm trying to make. Whether or not something is appealing is only part of the equation. That's the way it works.

Just like the numeric grade on a comic is part of the way that the comic world.  Even comic book collectors question the vast difference in value and the minute difference in quality between a 9.4 and a 9.8. An outsider would look at that and not understand it at all. 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:14 PM, rob_react said:

Just like the numeric grade on a comic is part of the way that the comic world.  Even comic book collectors question the vast difference in value and the minute difference in quality between a 9.4 and a 9.8. An outsider would look at that and not understand it at all. 

(shrug) What the :censored: are you talking abought @rob_react:nyah:

On 1/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, rob_react said:

As for the actual comics mentioned in this thread, I think they've increased in value by like 25% since I posted this thread. 

When you started your blog, the $100k threshold was rarely met.  

Last HA sig auction a Lois Lane 106 broke $50k.  

Times have changed. 

On 1/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, szav said:

On the subject of the quality of modern art, I wonder if anyone's ever done a fairly good study or survey on people's ratings of the quality of any particular famous pieces of art from different eras, and which artists generally rate the best.  I'd be particularly interested in cross cultural ratings, that is how people who are less likely to have seen the art work previously rate it.  Not that this would be a final say, because of course historical context matters.  But I'm just curious from an aesthetic standpoint.

Which people?  Gallery owners?  Likely purchasers of big ticket items?  Average Joe/Joesephine Public?  Art Critics/Art Professoriate?  

These groups have very different views of modern art and will have very different views of past eras. 

Realize also that "taste" has changed over time.  In 1880, a Vermeer sold for 30 Pounds because he wasn't sought after (check out "The Economics of Taste" by Reitlinger).  Assuming that the greats of today will be viewed as the greats a century from now is hubris.

Edited by adamstrange

On 1/3/2022 at 1:55 PM, buttock said:

When you started your blog, the $100k threshold was rarely met.  

Last HA sig auction a Lois Lane 106 broke $50k.  

Times have changed. 

You're telling me!

On 1/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, rob_react said:

He might just be the most famous living artist. There are other options (KAWS, Shepard Fairey, Kusama, Jeff Koons, Ai WeiWei), but with the notoriety factor and the mystery of his identity, Banksy is like catnip for both the art world and the public at large. If you're interested in Banksy, I'm particular to the documentary Banksy Does New York about his "residency" in NYC in 2014 (where he attempted to do 31 clandestine works over 31 nights) and the attendant media frenzy it caused. I know a few of people who are interviewed and know many more by reputation, so I can vouch for the fact that they did their homework. 

His most famous single work is probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_is_in_the_Bin

(Spoiler alert! Some of you are not going to like that painting!)

The Banksy Does New York doc was outstanding.  Highly recommend it.