• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Brand

24 posts in this topic

Hi

I remember reading the Marvel New Universe in the mid 80s and one story still sticks out in my mind all these years later and I can't seem to find it and want to read it again. It was shortly after The Pitt one shot and I believe it was published as a backup story Iin Star Brand.  I remember it dealt with a family in a car who kinda got sucked into the The Pitt and they became like a blob and kept expanding consuming everything.  Anyone remember this story and where I could find it?

Thanks!

Jrff

On 7/28/2021 at 6:23 PM, jeffreyk said:

I enjoyed the New Universe!

I thought it started pretty strong, but you can detect the changes along the way that reflected the company's rapidly fading faith in their grand experiment. 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:31 PM, Qalyar said:

I thought it started pretty strong, but you can detect the changes along the way that reflected the company's rapidly fading faith in their grand experiment. 

I remember that.  I really liked John Byrne in Starbrand.

Peter David scripted the "Justice" series from issue #15 to #32 (when it ended), and that wasn't bad. David later used a version of the character in his "Spider-Man 2099" series.

Byrne took over "Starbrand" largely to roast Jim Shooter, as I recall.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:31 PM, Qalyar said:

The New Universe was Jim Shooter's baby. The shift probably happened when he was booted as editor in chief. A lot of people at Marvel had issues with him. That's probably why they destroyed Pittsburgh (Shooter's home town).

On 7/29/2021 at 10:03 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The New Universe was Jim Shooter's baby. The shift probably happened when he was booted as editor in chief. A lot of people at Marvel had issues with him. That's probably why they destroyed Pittsburgh (Shooter's home town).

I don't think I realized Shooter was from Pittsburgh. Ouch.

I bought pretty much all Byrne comics back then off the newsstand, comic store rack, or else by mail-order subscription service, and his "Star Brand" was always towards the top of the reading pile, just like the rest of his stuff. I think it was on upgraded paper stock, too.

4 of the titles were canceled after one year. I read that the others sold well enough to continue even further, but Marvel wanted the talent on them working on their established heroes.

Edited by jdandns

I liked the NU when it started. Especially Starbrand and Justice. 

Thought it was going to be my generations (I was 15) version of Marvel explosion in 1961. Shame it didn't turn out like that. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Qalyar said:

Pretty sure that's all there is.

I reread the story we were talking about.  It was at the end of issue 14.  Issue 15 was about the Pitt crater and the plague but the family that merged into a blob in issue 14 was not in it.  I giuess it was a 10 page back-up in 14 and that was it.  Its amazing that I read that short story 35 years ago and I still remember it today.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, jeffreyk said:

Hi

I remember reading the Marvel New Universe in the mid 80s and one story still sticks out in my mind all these years later and I can't seem to find it and want to read it again. It was shortly after The Pitt one shot and I believe it was published as a backup story Iin Star Brand.  I remember it dealt with a family in a car who kinda got sucked into the The Pitt and they became like a blob and kept expanding consuming everything.  Anyone remember this story and where I could find it?

Thanks!

Jrff

That sounds kinda scary, actually.  
Gonna have to fish that one out for a read.