• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UF4 La Mole Edition - question for the masses

15 posts in this topic

Hey fellow modern comic lovers!

Can anyone explain to me why the UF4 La Mole edition - which is published 9 years after Miles' 1st appearance in the original UF4 - is credited a 1st appearance by CGC?  I know this has to have been explained at some point somewhere else on here in this forum but I was 10 pages deep on my search and gave up and thought I'd ask the group.

Were the copies lost in a warehouse for 9 years and didn't come to 'print' until 2020?  Were they time capsuled and emerged in 2020 with the locusts?  Someone with way more knowledge of this please fill me in just so I understand. lol 

SR

On 7/26/2021 at 10:20 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Hey fellow modern comic lovers!

Can anyone explain to me why the UF4 La Mole edition - which is published 9 years after Miles' 1st appearance in the original UF4 - is credited a 1st appearance by CGC?  I know this has to have been explained at some point somewhere else on here in this forum but I was 10 pages deep on my search and gave up and thought I'd ask the group.

Were the copies lost in a warehouse for 9 years and didn't come to 'print' until 2020?  Were they time capsuled and emerged in 2020 with the locusts?  Someone with way more knowledge of this please fill me in just so I understand. lol 

SR

It is a foreign publisher recreation of Ultimate Fallout 4.  Much like 2nd and 3rd prints will keep the 1st appearance moniker, so will the foreign versions.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, Crops068 said:

It is a foreign publisher recreation of Ultimate Fallout 4.  Much like 2nd and 3rd prints will keep the 1st appearance moniker, so will the foreign versions.

Do you have a copy and can verify it’s printed in Spanish? Most of the foreign editions say things like “reprinted in Spanish, etc.”  But I’ve not seen that noted on any grades copies of this so is it for sure considered a foreign reprint?

Also the reprints don’t typically give the note of a first appearance of characters…especially ones published 9 years later from the original character debut so I think there is more to this issue to explain that but I don’t know what it is 😂 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:31 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

Do you have a copy and can verify it’s printed in Spanish? Most of the foreign editions say things like “reprinted in Spanish, etc.”  But I’ve not seen that noted on any grades copies of this so is it for sure considered a foreign reprint?

Also the reprints don’t typically give the note of a first appearance of characters…especially ones published 9 years later from the original character debut so I think there is more to this issue to explain that but I don’t know what it is 😂 

I do not, but I have a good friend that does.  I missed out on getting one.  He just had his signed by Clayton Crain.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, Crops068 said:

I do not, but I have a good friend that does.  I missed out on getting one.  He just had his signed by Clayton Crain.

Ask him if it was printed in Spanish and report back what you find out if you can…

He is not sure, since it is on the way to CGC.  He didn't look inside the book.  The front cover is a near exact replica of the original UF4 but it does have Numero instead of Issue.

OG -

MARVEL, ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4, 2011, MILES MORALES, 1ST PRINT

La Mole -

image.thumb.png.40e2245247abad9ea1d06a38e9a7f89c.png

On 7/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, ThunderMuffin said:

That seems confusing.

Welcome to the forums.  While I would agree, it is still the same comic as the 1st appearance just reproduced.  It is event called and numbered the same so not sure what to tell ya. :)

On 7/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Crops068 said:

Welcome to the forums.  While I would agree, it is still the same comic as the 1st appearance just reproduced.  It is event called and numbered the same so not sure what to tell ya. :)

Hey Bri, I think the confusion comes from our reference point as TWD guys.  All the TWD Foreign printed versions say "Reprints Issue 1 in ________ {insert language here}.  They do not say "First Appearance of Rick Grimes, Shane Walsh, Morgan & Duane Jones" like on TWD 1 2003.   So CGC seems to be inconsistent here.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:45 PM, BladeTX said:

Hey Bri, I think the confusion comes from our reference point as TWD guys.  All the TWD Foreign printed versions say "Reprints Issue 1 in ________ {insert language here}.  They do not say "First Appearance of Rick Grimes, Shane Walsh, Morgan & Duane Jones" like on TWD 1 2003.   So CGC seems to be inconsistent here.

I may not be reprinted in another language, it might be an exact reprint just with a foil cover, if so it would essentially be a 3rd/4th/5th print etc.  But in that it very well can be argued that it shouldn't show 1st appearance and instead show "reprints Ultimate Fallout 4".  They may get that from the publisher though.  Not 100% sure on either.

I have no skin in the game either way.  While I wish I had spent the $100 to get a La Mole, I did not.  So I am just stuck with my 9.8 UF4 1st print. lol

On 7/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, Crops068 said:

He is not sure, since it is on the way to CGC.  He didn't look inside the book.  The front cover is a near exact replica of the original UF4 but it does have Numero instead of Issue.

OG -

MARVEL, ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4, 2011, MILES MORALES, 1ST PRINT

La Mole -

image.thumb.png.40e2245247abad9ea1d06a38e9a7f89c.png

The 'numero' thing like you leads me to believe it is indeed printed in Spanish but in most cases CGC denotes that...also none of the foreign editions UNLESS published in a similar time period (like the old Pence variants for Marvel silver age editions) aren't credited as first appearances.

Like Tom said, here's an example of the WD#1 Mexican La Mole Foil Edition (similar to the UF4 I've been asking about) - it denotes on the label 'printed in spanish' & there is no 1st appearance of Rick Grimes notation.

The UF4 La Mole should NOT be considered a first appearance unless there is more to the story and that's what I'd like to find out...exactly how a book published 9 years later than the introduction of a character is considered a 1st appearance because I don't get that compared to all the other foreign edition later published reprints that CGC has graded.  I just don't understand why and I'm late to the Miles Morales game so if anyone knows please enlighten me lol 

Walking Dead #1 Mexican Edition CGC 9.9.jpg

On 7/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

The 'numero' thing like you leads me to believe it is indeed printed in Spanish but in most cases CGC denotes that...also none of the foreign editions UNLESS published in a similar time period (like the old Pence variants for Marvel silver age editions) aren't credited as first appearances.

Like Tom said, here's an example of the WD#1 Mexican La Mole Foil Edition (similar to the UF4 I've been asking about) - it denotes on the label 'printed in spanish' & there is no 1st appearance of Rick Grimes notation.

The UF4 La Mole should NOT be considered a first appearance unless there is more to the story and that's what I'd like to find out...exactly how a book published 9 years later than the introduction of a character is considered a 1st appearance because I don't get that compared to all the other foreign edition later published reprints that CGC has graded.  I just don't understand why and I'm late to the Miles Morales game so if anyone knows please enlighten me lol 

I definitely agree in comparison to WD, it is a change, and why it was done I am not sure.

And while the elephant is in the room.

THAT IS ONE PRETTY BOOK @Sensei Ryan

On 7/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Jeez cannot be many foreign edition comics that land a 9.9... Impressive!
I'm trying to understand this La Mole thing that isn't printed on the label.  In Spanish, La Mole means either "The Mole" or it's a sauce, coming from the name mōlli.  Neither of which has anything to do with comics 🥴🥴🥴

Edited by BladeTX

On 7/27/2021 at 4:49 PM, Crops068 said:

I definitely agree in comparison to WD, it is a change, and why it was done I am not sure.

And while the elephant is in the room.

THAT IS ONE PRETTY BOOK @Sensei Ryan

Thank you!  I think it's pretty awesome and I got it from my buddy Cyrus...he subbed it himself and got the 9.9 so it has a special place in my collection being a 9.9, a #1 reprint, coming from a fellow Kentucky friend...oh, and it's FOIL!!! :luhv: