• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC Signature Series books lower the value of a book?

18 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, John Worley said:

Seriously thinking Firestorm 3 1st appearance of killer Frost with a Firestorm remarque by al Milgrom but was wondering if typically this lowers or raises the value of a book. It would be pressed too

there are two parts to the answer:

1.  The biggest factor is the grade.

2.  It depends on how you word the question and the cost factors, which your case is unclear.  Objectively, if you had a raw comic of pretty nice grade say 9.0 and up, and you put in $40 for CGC SS to get the signed comic book graded,  guarantee you could sell it for more than the raw comic on its own.  So yes, you're CGC SS raised the price of the comic.  But did it raise the price more than you paid for the CGC SS? That is a different question. And what about the cost of the signature?  And what about the cost of the sketch?  And what about the cost of pressing? And the cost of shipping?  What about the risk of damage (for a higher grade loss even minor damage is more costly) or guessing your grade wrong?  What about the opportunity cost of tying up your money AND the comic for 6-8 or more months?

2a.  What about the extremely subjective aspects?  What are your collection/profit goals?  What is your preferred return on investment?  How risk averse are you?  What is your personal financial situation with relation to the money potentially spent/earned?  

So I would say, look at it like a real business decision, evaluate the factors, and ask a more specific question where people can actually give you an answer that helps you make a decision, like an investment or business proposition. 

Or if you want the most basic answer:  Yes, if you pay to get your comic signed, sketched, pressed, graded, shipped, insured, then when you get your comic book back from CGC it will most likely be worth more money than it is now in it's raw state.

Depends on sig and people who collect sigs

Generally, an SS book commands a premium, based on the extra fees paid to get said book. At least with CGC, it's 99.9% authentic, whereas across the street, they shrug their shoulders and say, sure, that's the guy

Typically a signature raises the value. The tricky thing about sketches or a remarque is they can go wrong if it messes with the artwork too much or maybe blocks any wording somewhere on the cover. So you'd have to be real careful where you designate the sketch/remarque area. Sometimes signatures can go terribly wrong too but Milgrom has a small signature that generally doesn't intrude. What do you want him to remarque if you don't mind me asking?

If you're doing it in hopes of profiting later on then the first reply is something to consider. It sounds a bit like you want it for your collection though? But in general a well placed signature and well placed remarque adds plenty of value to a book.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Typically a signature raises the value. The tricky thing about sketches or a remarque is they can go wrong if it messes with the artwork too much or maybe blocks any wording somewhere on the cover. So you'd have to be real careful where you designate the sketch/remarque area. Sometimes signatures can go terribly wrong too but Milgrom has a small signature that generally doesn't intrude. What do you want him to remarque if you don't mind me asking?

If you're doing it in hopes of profiting later on then the first reply is something to consider. It sounds a bit like you want it for your collection though? But in general a well placed signature and well placed remarque adds plenty of value to a book.

I am wanting a Firestorm remarque in the fire of his head on the cover of Firestorm 3 (1ST KILLER FROST) one of my favorite comics and just for my collection

On 7/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, revat said:

there are two parts to the answer:

1.  The biggest factor is the grade.

2.  It depends on how you word the question and the cost factors, which your case is unclear.  Objectively, if you had a raw comic of pretty nice grade say 9.0 and up, and you put in $40 for CGC SS to get the signed comic book graded,  guarantee you could sell it for more than the raw comic on its own.  So yes, you're CGC SS raised the price of the comic.  But did it raise the price more than you paid for the CGC SS? That is a different question. And what about the cost of the signature?  And what about the cost of the sketch?  And what about the cost of pressing? And the cost of shipping?  What about the risk of damage (for a higher grade loss even minor damage is more costly) or guessing your grade wrong?  What about the opportunity cost of tying up your money AND the comic for 6-8 or more months?

2a.  What about the extremely subjective aspects?  What are your collection/profit goals?  What is your preferred return on investment?  How risk averse are you?  What is your personal financial situation with relation to the money potentially spent/earned?  

So I would say, look at it like a real business decision, evaluate the factors, and ask a more specific question where people can actually give you an answer that helps you make a decision, like an investment or business proposition. 

Or if you want the most basic answer:  Yes, if you pay to get your comic signed, sketched, pressed, graded, shipped, insured, then when you get your comic book back from CGC it will most likely be worth more money than it is now in it's raw state.

Thanks for the insightful reply

On 7/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, John Worley said:

I am wanting a Firestorm remarque in the fire of his head on the cover of Firestorm 3 (1ST KILLER FROST) one of my favorite comics and just for my collection

Not to be snarky, but if it’s one of your fave comics and for your collection....why does the value to others matter????

Grade matters then artist sig rarity and if they are dead.

Carmine Infantino

Stan Lee 

Both to me as a collector and many add value. Stan signed a ton more books so for me maybe 50$ increase as a DC Boy Infantino signed a lot less and has been gone longer so worth few hundred on right books.

The signature series is a smaller group then the unsigned buyers group. I don’t mind getting a signed book if it’s the same price as a unsigned of same grade. My favorite is the Adam Hughes signed series where it looks like a misprint of the AH lol.

Getting a book signed by a lesser known artist/writer doesn’t do a whole lot for a book. Think of it like celebrities You have A listers and B,C,D and that plays a huge roll on collectibility.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:15 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It depends on who you're trying to sell the book to. From my perspective, an autographed book is a low-grade book with a value of $0; I wouldn't buy one. Others feel differently.

While I don’t feel quite as strongly as jimbo, I’m another one who doesn’t like to buy comics with writing or drawing on them, even if it’s the signature/work of someone I admire.

I’ve made a few exceptions, but these were very special cases.

I’ve been looking for an ASM 120 in 9.8 with white pages for a couple of years now. Three times I’ve seen one come up for auction and I get all excited before noticing it’s a Signature Series and immediately move on.

The signature craze is actually a little worrisome to me when I think about how few copies of some high grade books have survived 50 or 60 or 70 years only to get Sharpie’d in 2021. R.I.P.

i doubt you would ever get less for a yellow label than a blue label as long as the signature is by someone who had something to do with the book, eg the writer, artist, inker, creator, etc.

you may not necessarily get back the cost you put into it to get the sig, but it won’t sell for less than a blue.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:44 AM, Off Panel said:

While I don’t feel quite as strongly as jimbo, I’m another one who doesn’t like to buy comics with writing or drawing on them, even if it’s the signature/work of someone I admire.

I’ve made a few exceptions, but these were very special cases.

I’ve been looking for an ASM 120 in 9.8 with white pages for a couple of years now. Three times I’ve seen one come up for auction and I get all excited before noticing it’s a Signature Series and immediately move on.

The signature craze is actually a little worrisome to me when I think about how few copies of some high grade books have survived 50 or 60 or 70 years only to get Sharpie’d in 2021. R.I.P.

That's just going to increase the value of non-signed books. 

On 8/7/2021 at 7:47 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not to be snarky, but if it’s one of your fave comics and for your collection....why does the value to others matter????

Actually that is a very good point. Since it wouldn't leave of collection and is directly for me....again really good point of view

On 8/7/2021 at 2:22 PM, alwaysbronze said:

in other words, don’t sell them by auction. fixed price and wait for your buyer to come along. i’d be willing to pay more than $342 for that 128 double sig if i had seen it

While I have a copy of 128, I don't have a graded one and wasn't planning on ever having one.  It was still in the $290 range when I threw a bid on it..  But the next bid after $342 was in the 370s and for something not in my wheelhouse.  I just let it go.