• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does apparent MA mean on purple label?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2021 at 9:39 PM, Scrooge said:

It's the old system:

MA stands for Moderate Amateur

3 Point System for restoration quantity

• Slight
  • Moderate
  • Extensive

Material Designation:

• Amateur
  • Professional

Thank You for the information. What value do you think that takes from the book? Do you just go by the Grade it got with the restoration or is it more complicated? I’ve been a collector of golden age books and most of mine are not graded so I’ve never paid a lot of attention to the grades. I usually bought a book if I liked the look and price of it. There’s one I’m thinking I’d like with a purple label but says apparent MA on it and why I’m asking. 
thank You 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:48 PM, Captainwonder said:

Thank You for the information. What value do you think that takes from the book? Do you just go by the Grade it got with the restoration or is it more complicated? I’ve been a collector of golden age books and most of mine are not graded so I’ve never paid a lot of attention to the grades. I usually bought a book if I liked the look and price of it. There’s one I’m thinking I’d like with a purple label but says apparent MA on it and why I’m asking. 
thank You 

Good questions, but without all the specifics (the title and issue, the condition, the actual work done) it's pretty nearly impossible to even throw out a guess. There's no simple formula to it.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:55 PM, Point Five said:

Good questions, but without all the specifics (the title and issue, the condition, the actual work done) it's pretty nearly impossible to even throw out a guess. There's no simple formula to it.

I figured it was complicated. I was hoping for an easy answer lol I need to learn the ins and out of this. 

Well, if it's a popular GA issue like (throwing out a random example) Superman #14... there's robust sales data of both unrestored and restored copies available from different sources (GPA, ebay, HA.com etc), enough that you can probably take a guess at how 'your' copy might be valued. In the case of a book that lots of people want, a restored copy might command a fairly aggressive price. If it's a less popular title and issue, I'd probably be less enthused at buying a copy with amateur resto and would expect a pretty deep discount. But again, hard to know without any specifics.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:48 PM, Captainwonder said:

thank You 

As point5 said, it will depend on the book, the grade, and the work done.  I ballpark a restored book at 50% value of an unrestored copy and then adjust for the type of restoration - trimming is most negative - amount of restoration and quality of restoration.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

As point5 said, it will depend on the book, the grade, and the work done.  I ballpark a restored book at 50% value of an unrestored copy and then adjust for the type of restoration - trimming is most negative - amount of restoration and quality of restoration.

(thumbsu

Yeah, that's the other reason it's hard to throw out a concrete answer. Some amateur resto is pretty subtle/unobtrusive and some is pretty hateful. 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

And of course I adjust for the rarity and demand of the book.  

Also note that some restoration, usually professional, is removable and some people are having color touch cut out or trimming leaf casted so the value may depend on how reversible the restoration is and what the ultimate grade might be when the restoration is removed.  Imagine a book with one small dot of color touch that can be scrapped off, removing the color touch and the restoration classification and hardly changing the grade.

Edited by thehumantorch

On 7/30/2021 at 10:30 PM, Captainwonder said:

Thank You all for the information. I really appreciate it. 
this has according to the label. Just as it’s listed there as color touch, tear seals, spine splits sealed, reinforced and staples replaced. 

Here is some information about "restoration". If you click on the link below the article, there is more information.

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/restoration/

On 7/30/2021 at 10:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'm not sure about the 50%; most of the restored copies I've tracked have sold for much less than 50%.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:57 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not sure about the 50%; most of the restored copies I've tracked have sold for much less than 50%.

I think best case scenario for an extensive professional mega-key would be more like 30-ish % of equivalent unrestored ..... but it certainly is a bit of an art trying to put values on restored GA

On 8/12/2021 at 2:43 PM, fishbone said:

I think best case scenario for an extensive professional mega-key would be more like 30-ish % of equivalent unrestored ..... but it certainly is a bit of an art trying to put values on restored GA

Yes, prices are all over the place. I've seen some PLODs sell for as little as 10% of what a universal copy would sell for. I'm sure it depends on the book.