• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So CGC SS is going to accept a COA for the Todd McFarlane King of Spawn #1
1 1

91 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

If you do this his coa may come with it, but you cant get it sent to you then CGC for the SS; for that you purchase directly from him and he sends it directly to them with the Creator Agreement Form . 

Ya then McFarlane opens a can of worms...

The 1st being I hope these instructions are on the coa or years from now when they're in the dollar bin (maybe?) This will be up to us to explain haw instructions weren't followed and green label 🤣:foryou:

On 8/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I could be wrong as well. This was why I posted this was to see what everyone else thinks and how they perceive this to go.. (shrug)

It's all new ... 

Well it looks as though y'all are correct but until we know these "new measures" there won't be any concrete answers.

To say the "chain of custody is broken" may be true but doesn't add to this "new thing" maybe a solution would be a different label other than yellow?

On 8/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 8/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

If you do this his coa may come with it, but you cant get it sent to you then CGC for the SS; for that you purchase directly from him and he sends it directly to them with the Creator Agreement Form . 

The 1st being I hope these instructions are on the coa or years from now when they're in the dollar bin (maybe?) This will be up to us to explain haw instructions weren't followed and green label 🤣:foryou:

That was about the Campbell selling signed books on his website with a COA. 

If yellow equals a "chain of custody" and witness, and this is "new", it doesn't work to compare to the old, other than preference.

A preference imo that isn't being distinguished or set apart from the classic by different color label 

I mean I get the gripe and it's valid, it's seemingly doing away with some of the old while incorporating the new

On 8/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 8/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That was about the Campbell selling signed books on his website with a COA. 

Ah yes I was speaking more to the McFarlane but replying to you. Still if there isn't a place for answers, it's better to not jumo to conclusions

Thanks for the info on Campbell as well, I didn't know Campbell would do that. Often only the raw SS is left, I didn't think the option for yellow label was still available, rather I didn't think Campbell offered the form option

On 8/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If yellow equals a "chain of custody" and witness, and this is "new", it doesn't work to compare to the old, other than preference.

A preference imo that isn't being distinguished or set apart from the classic by different color label 

I mean I get the gripe and it's valid, it's seemingly doing away with some of the old while incorporating the new

That is sort of what I was getting at with this. Seems as though this is going to be a new era for CGC with Signature Series and a test of what they might start allowing.  

I do agree with what you are suggesting that any of these should have a very distinctive label that way people know that these went through a different process.  

On 8/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah yes I was speaking more to the McFarlane but replying to you. Still if there isn't a place for answers, it's better to not jumo to conclusions

Thanks for the info on Campbell as well, I didn't know Campbell would do that. Often only the raw SS is left, I didn't think the option for yellow label was still available, rather I didn't think Campbell offered the form option

I am not sure if he still offers them for sale that way or not, but I do know I have had a few creators work with me to get books sent directly from them to CGC for the yellow label through the Creator Agreement.  

On 8/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is sort of what I was getting at with this. Seems as though this is going to be a new era for CGC with Signature Series and a test of what they might start allowing.  

I do agree with what you are suggesting that any of these should have a very distinctive label that way people know that these went through a different process.  

Yes cause a distinctive coa doesn't help after the way cgc has optioned those all this time, that is not respecting an official option for coa. 

This is all logistics, maybe a test the waters, and if it gives hope to authenticating sigs people will be happy; although the witness is still apart of it and puts that in the river lol

I'm lost on what the witness and the coa have in common, given the chain of custody, to which there is no elab.  Ooorr.  Attion. :tonofbricks:

CGC really needs to hear about this from the SS group that this process is going to hurt the validity of the yellow label while they still have a chance to do something about it. What CGC needs to do is have someone take the books directly from the signing and put them in a tamper evident bag, like they do for multiple sigs now at conventions and ship it that way to customers (granted this still isn't 100% perfect). 

I think this is why cgc is doing this 

“Second, each of those books will also be signed by myself. This will mark the lowest print run I’ve ever offered to retailers! And I will never sign another copy of these books… meaning the total number of signed books will always be limited to this initial offering.”

Third, you have my promise that I will never sign another copy of this book in the future.”

I messaged CGC the following:

I saw the advertisement that you will be accepting the COA's from the Todd McFarlane King Spawn #1 and just wanted to let you know that this has the potential to compromise the integrity of your Yellow Label SS program. I'm a big proponent of your current program SS program (100's of SS books in my collection). I believe I understand the process you're going to attempt by having a witness at the McFarlane signing, but if this was a convention you would make me put the signed comic in a tamper proof bag or the witness does not leave the book until its with the facilitator. Why does this particular COA supersede your rules? The rules are currently good and protect the consumer, but you are opening the door to malice. Why are you not delivering the book to the consumer in a tamper proof bag which then can be sent in to CGC like you do at conventions?

On 8/3/2021 at 12:29 PM, alwaysbronze said:

so i get my book and coa and there’s a flaw in the book making it a 9.4. i go buy a 9.8 copy, forge the signature and send it to cgc with the coa. now i got a 9.8 ss book?

at least now i know not to buy a king spawn ss book.

Might want to throw yourself a nice little remark on the 9.8 while you're at it. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:59 AM, atrocitus said:

You guys know that you can’t buy unsigned copies of the 250 variant

I don’t know that, but it does seem like Todd said he won’t sign anymore, which implies unsigned copies exist.