• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So CGC SS is going to accept a COA for the Todd McFarlane King of Spawn #1
1 1

91 posts in this topic

That's right they sent out an email today stating that they will be taking the King of Spawn #1 variant cover already signed by Todd McFarlane with a " CGC approved COA" and giving this a CGC SS .. 

First time they have accepted COA as proof.

20210731_175326.jpg.4f3180f71409a796ed2d9468882bc62e.jpg20210731_175311.jpg.65fa2d4d8a3460c1d4739ad9aec8273b.jpg

What are your thoughts on them now allowing a COA as proof for the Signature Series?  

I hate this, breaking the chain of custody is a big no-no and an extremely slippery slope. If I were a rich man I would certainly buy one and try writing in McFarlanes hand writing so I would get my own personalized 1 of 250 maybe even throw in a little spawn doodle. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, Nic8612 said:

I'm not a fan of this particular method where anyone can send it in, but I've always thought it was really dumb that CGC doesn't have some kind of similar arrangement with companies like Dynamic Forces and their signed books

I'd say run through a devil's advocate list about the differences and argue with yourself about it.  Though I definitely agree this is not great.  But it's a different animal.

First was excited and thought it was a McFarlane signature event as I have a stack to get signed. Then saw the prices on Ebay for this and while tempted, do support the before CGC stance on only witnessed signings, etc. they can control. 

CGC is still going to witness them, true the chain of custody means some may choose not to send in for grading, but at least the whole lot will be signed under a witness.

Leading one to assume, that these will have not have any unsigned

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

CGC is still going to witness them, true the chain of custody means some may choose not to send in for grading, but at least the whole lot will be signed under a witness.

Leading one to assume, that these will have not have any unsigned

Sorry, but the chain-of-custody is broken on any of these that do not go straight from McFarlane or an authorized representative to CGC. If they wanted to do this at least more formally, CGC should have had McFarlane place these in some sort of sealed tamper evident bag and allowed the recipient to send the sealed bag to CGC.  

I don’t know much about it, so are they already signed? Or being mailed back for a signing? Also do they ONLY come in signs editions (that would be similar to the Lucille Walking Dead thing)

no matter what I don’t like it

On 8/2/2021 at 8:36 PM, thesink said:

Sorry, but the chain-of-custody is broken on any of these that do not go straight from McFarlane or an authorized representative to CGC. If they wanted to do this at least more formally, CGC should have had McFarlane place these in some sort of sealed tamper evident bag and allowed the recipient to send the sealed bag to CGC.  

The chain of custody? I never said it wasnt broken.....

I never said it was? 

On 8/2/2021 at 8:41 PM, revat said:

I don’t know much about it, so are they already signed? Or being mailed back for a signing? Also do they ONLY come in signs editions (that would be similar to the Lucille Walking Dead thing)

All I know is that they were witnessed. The email doesnt say that after witnessed the coa will be redeemable after the custody is broken to my knowledge. It says they are witnessed and got a coa to be sold. The definition of where and how were not spelled out. Could be they were witnessed and available onsite to be purchased and sent straight to cgc. Really there aren't that many certains, only questions. 

On 8/2/2021 at 8:41 PM, revat said:

Only know what they said in their email. Which was they will come already signed with certificate of authenticity granted by CGC.  Do not know if there are any unsigned copies available. I too do not like this approach.  

On 8/2/2021 at 8:46 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Only know what they said in their email. Which was they will come already signed with certificate of authenticity granted by CGC.  Do not know if there are any unsigned copies available. I too do not like this approach.  

Yes, indeed, could be they were all signed with coa and witnessed, but is available with the coa to not go to cgc.

But what's confusing is it says something like "for the 1st time" lol

I've since deleted the email looks like, but doesnt Campbell also have coa and slabs directly from his website?

Could be this is the 1st of mcfarlane to do so?

With the way they lay out the instructions, I would think that the form you are filling out is similar in nature to the creator agreement, but is a you certifying that this was bought directly by you and you have not tampered or changed it in any way. Then you mail in the original book with accompanying COA and they grade it as CGC SS

On 8/2/2021 at 8:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Campbell also have coa and slabs directly from his website?

If you do this his coa may come with it, but you cant get it sent to you then CGC for the SS; for that you purchase directly from him and he sends it directly to them with the Creator Agreement Form . 

On 8/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well then I misread (thumbsu

I could be wrong as well. This was why I posted this was to see what everyone else thinks and how they perceive this to go.. (shrug)

It's all new ...