• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why should I use CGC? The others are cheaper and faster...

33 posts in this topic

I ask this since CGC is overwhelmed and waaaay backlogged. For those of us who can't wait months for our returns, we can try the others, which are apparently CBCS and PGX. So I ask you, does it really matter?

Specifically, if three identical issues were up for sale, all with the same grade, but done by a different company, would potential buyers shy away from the others beside CGC, and only be willing to pay less? If it's less, how much less, percentage wise. I should think people would be happy buying one graded by CBCS. Does anyone recommend PGX??

Thanks.

PGX is OK if you have a modern comic of little retail value you just wish to slab to display. Cgc is interesting, as I have just seen Newton rings in person now. Don't think we are allowed to post about Voldemort slabbing.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:52 PM, jcs1234 said:

I ask this since CGC is overwhelmed and waaaay backlogged. For those of us who can't wait months for our returns, we can try the others, which are apparently CBCS and PGX. So I ask you, does it really matter?

Specifically, if three identical issues were up for sale, all with the same grade, but done by a different company, would potential buyers shy away from the others beside CGC, and only be willing to pay less? If it's less, how much less, percentage wise. I should think people would be happy buying one graded by CBCS. Does anyone recommend PGX??

Thanks.

Without question; It matters.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:06 AM, ThothAmon said:

I find it interesting that whenever a thread pops up like this invariably the op is a brand new contributor to the boards.  If this is the best the op has I’d recommend taking a couple weeks off from posting and then quit altogether. 

But why should I use PGA when Donkey Card Grading Inc is 10 times cheaper?

I think it depends on what you want to accomplish. 

If they are key books and you hope to sell them at some point, CGC is going to command more money.  How much more? It depends, check out eBay and Heritage sold prices and compare.  

My brother was always an avid reader and has just gotten into collecting. He was looking for a high grade modern book and the found one of each from the two companies. My advice to him was, if all things are equal (no miswraps, or obvious blemishes) then go with CGC. It's more marketable and will have more demand when you sell.  

And I think that's what you'll find. Grading standards and all of that are a different conversation. The bottom line is, CGC is the standard and will have a larger market when and if your going to sell.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:58 AM, aardvark88 said:

PGX is OK if you have a modern comic of little retail value you just wish to slab to display.

Well, yeah. If you're just throwing away your money, why would it matter how or where you throw it?

On 8/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, jcs1234 said:

Does anyone recommend PGX??

Sure. There's Daniel, Ryan (? I think that's his name), and um... well, there's probably somebody else out there somewhere.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, comicrage said:

CBCS is also backlogged and their customer service are the worst, no response. CGC is worth waiting for.

I’ve also heard this.

I mean personally, CGC cases are visually the best. I get wanting to have books back and quick because hey maybe you are someone trying to flip a book when it’s hot or whatever. If you are not I don’t get why you can be patient?

I have bought about ten PGX slabs over past two years..I always crack them so I can have a raw. I am not a fan of PGX . If I get an old CGC slab I will crack it and turn into a raw or have it regraded

But I only go to slabbing for two reasons and always CGC..

1.for their SS series..the service is a lot faster than the non SS, and they present nice

2. otherwise, I only slab (CGC) when I have a book that has FMV over 200 and I want to sell it, eventually...CGC is the industry standard..and garners better ROI. 

CBCS isn't that bad...I have one with Romita's sig and it's fairly nice..but TBH, I would prefer just to keep them in a raw with a mylite 2 bag 

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I see collectors and investors both buying PGX slabs, cracking them, then sending them to CGC for re-grading. It's telling that you don't hear of this same group buying CGC slabs and sending to PGX or CBCS for grading... hmm

Where would we see or hear it? I know people who buy green label signed CGC books and send them to the Distinguished Competition.  It would surprise no one if people cracked purple labels and tried to pass them thru PGX.  I've red some people are reslabbing all their old books with CBCS because they like the slab better or don't want to deal with newton rings.

On 8/17/2021 at 4:39 PM, shadroch said:

Where would we see or hear it? I know people who buy green label signed CGC books and send them to the Distinguished Competition.  It would surprise no one if people cracked purple labels and tried to pass them thru PGX.  I've red some people are reslabbing all their old books with CBCS because they like the slab better or don't want to deal with newton rings.

Valid points. Maybe I was inserting my personal opinions in to my response. I really wouldn't understand someone resubbing to PGX, outside of the example you give, and I really don't get resubbing CGC to CBCS because the slab is more attractive...but that's just me.