• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of limited series / one shots turned ongoing in same volume

37 posts in this topic

Thread updated with those I was able to confirm accurate with 5 minutes of internet sleuthing. Could be wrong but  it's accurate to my best knowledge. Open for debate.

Yes, looking for series originally solicited or planned as mini series and either were bumped during the run or before the first issue came out.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

GIF funny nett nice - animated GIF on GIFER - by Agamardin

Yeah, the whole book is like that kind of humor, if you haven't read it. They also came out with a small hardcover book called "Just the tips" full of sex "tips" and other hilarious Fraction / Zdarsky nonsense 

Just checked - they skipped from #30 to #69

Edited by Rhymenoceros

On 8/3/2021 at 2:10 PM, Rhymenoceros said:

Yeah, the whole book is like that kind of humor, if you haven't read it. They also came out with a small hardcover book called "Just the tips" full of sex "tips" and other hilarious Fraction / Zdarsky nonsense 

Just checked - they skipped from #30 to #69

Also: Thanks

I'm totally into juvenile humor.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:58 AM, Rhymenoceros said:

Wow, I just tried to make sense of all the Youngblood volumes and numbering but halfway through writing it all out I just said "screw it". What a mess. 

It can be done, but it's difficult. I did it for 'fun', a complete read of all Youngblood, after reading the wonderful last volume (that deserves reading by everybody). I knew what I was in for, but it was worse than even I expected, as as you say, it took a lot to work out what belongs to what series. 

Not recommended 

Edit: Does this help prove it was a miniseries originally? There was a remastered release of the original miniseries in hardcover form, if you check the solicitation for it, you'll see it described it as containing the original YB miniseries. Yet the first series ended at around issue 22 or so. @Rhymenoceros

https://comicbookrealm.com/series/5941/213918/image-comics-youngblood-vol-1-hard-cover-1/1

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 8/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A character that might've remained in a supporting role until this hugely successful mini-series, which indicated that there was a market for him starring in a continued series; several, actually...

1099207.jpg

Not sure it counts but this 4 issue limited series got bumped  to 5 issues. 

Edited by Garystar

On 8/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

It can be done, but it's difficult. I did it for 'fun', a complete read of all Youngblood, after reading the wonderful last volume (that deserves reading by everybody). I knew what I was in for, but it was worse than even I expected, as as you say, it took a lot to work out what belongs to what series. 

Not recommended 

Edit: Does this help prove it was a miniseries originally? There was a remastered release of the original miniseries in hardcover form, if you check the solicitation for it, you'll see it described it as containing the original YB miniseries. Yet the first series ended at around issue 22 or so. @Rhymenoceros

https://comicbookrealm.com/series/5941/213918/image-comics-youngblood-vol-1-hard-cover-1/1

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952d430d636a750281747

On 8/4/2021 at 1:45 AM, Garystar said:

I think there's a longer list of limited series that got expanded into ... a longer limited series. Right off the top of my head, Pirates of Dark Water was advertised as a 6 issue mini based on the cartoon. But it sold well, and they followed it up with three more issues with entirely new content.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:59 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Usagi Yojimbo from Dark Horse, #1 and #2 say of 3, but the series went on for 165 issues 

Savage Dragon, 3 issue mini first then series 

Nothing from Bad Idea Comics :baiting:

giphy.gif

Savage Dragon is one of those I hesitate to include since it's not the original focus of the post. It was a new series with a 6 month gap between vols 1 and 2.  But very close
We will see what happens with Bad Idea :tonofbricks:

Edited by Rhymenoceros

On 8/4/2021 at 7:45 AM, Garystar said:

That’s right.

I’m suggesting that perhaps what’s important about this Punisher mini-series is that its level of success might’ve been quite unexpected, and rather than disappearing back into guest appearances in Spider-Man or Daredevil, etc., instead paved the way for him to star in several continued series as a result.

Apparently though, it doesn’t fit the required criterion.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, Ken Aldred said:

That’s right.

I’m suggesting that perhaps what’s important about this Punisher mini-series is that its level of success might’ve been quite unexpected, and rather than disappearing back into guest appearances in Spider-Man or Daredevil, etc., instead paved the way for him to star in several continued series as a result.

Apparently though, it doesn’t fit the required criterion.

No arguing the success paved the way! ^^  Just not what I'm trying to create a resource for here. The list would indeed be much longer if that was the focus of the thread.