• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of limited series / one shots turned ongoing in same volume

37 posts in this topic

With the success of Something Is Killing The Children, it got me thinking about how many comic series were originally solicited as a mini and then later bumped up to an ongoing series in the same volume. 

If others are interested as well I can maintain this thread as a running list.

‐---------------

LIMITED SERIES TURNED ONGOING IN SAME VOLUME:

Animal Man Vol. 1 (DC)

Crossover (Image)

Five Weapons (Image)

Once & Future (Boom)

Something Is Killing The Children (Boom)

Transformers Vol. 1 (Marvel)

Usagi Yojimbo Vol. 3 (Dark Horse)

Youngblood Vol. 1 (Image)

ONE SHOTS TURNED ONGOING IN SAME VOLUME:

Destroyer Duck (Eclipse)

Edited by Rhymenoceros
Additions to list. Updated title & requirements for list to "same volume".

A character that might've remained in a supporting role until this hugely successful mini-series, which indicated that there was a market for him starring in a continued series; several, actually...

1099207.jpg

Possibly also Green Arrow : The Longbow Hunters followed by Mike Grell's continued series?

That might have been planned anyway, though.

I think Once & Future was originally announced as a mini, although it may have been changed to ongoing before it was actually solicited.

X-Man, from the original Age of Apocalypse.

Also, I don't think the original poster wants books that got an ongoing book on the heels of a mini, they want books that were changed during the run of the mini.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Serious answer!!!!!! 

YOUNGBLOOD!! 

Sounds so implausible it has to be true.  

The first issue was enough.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/4/2021 at 2:37 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Sounds so implausible it has to be true.  

The first issue was enough.

Originally just a miniseries 0-5 by Liefeld (and someone else who did an issue, can't remember who) or something like that and then there's a hiatus. Could have been the normal wait time of the day back then, but it was because of that AND it because they had to put together a team, product it, etc etc. Then it ran to something like issue 23, with no issue ?15?. 

On 8/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Matt Fraction and Kelly Sue Deconnick had a development deal for Sex Criminals.

Not sure if the project is still alive or not. 

I really enjoyed the series. They jumped to issue 69 and then ended it last I checked but hopefully the development deal is still going for a possible show. 

On 8/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Originally just a miniseries 0-5 by Liefeld (and someone else who did an issue, can't remember who) or something like that and then there's a hiatus. Could have been the normal wait time of the day back then, but it was because of that AND it because they had to put together a team, product it, etc etc. Then it ran to something like issue 23, with no issue ?15?. 

Wow, I just tried to make sense of all the Youngblood volumes and numbering but halfway through writing it all out I just said "screw it". What a mess.