• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee signature on page 1 of FF #10

7 posts in this topic

I have a friend that  has FF 1-200 w/1-10 signed by Stan Lee, he gathered the signatures himself at a show back in '86. He recently asked me to help him sell them as he knows I've done the grading-selling thing on ebay. The signatures are at the bottom of page 1, not on the cover, see attached. I don't know why, but there it is. I didn't know they were not on the cover.

So any suggestions on getting the signature authenticated and the issue graded? An selling advice?

I believe CGC would not authenticate the signature under these condition.

Is the signature actually going to add any value to the comic books?

Thanks

ps--I posted this on the FF forum first, realized later this might be more appropriate. 

DSCN0026.JPG

It will add some value to the book, but since it's on the splash page, if encapsulated, it can't be displayed. That's where the artists and creators always signed back then.

If you send it to CGC, it will get a blue label with words "Stan Lee written on first page". They do not authenticate signatures.

If you send it to the slabbing competitor, you will get a yellow label if they deem the signature authentic.

As far as value, not sure the condition of the books, but 1-10 signed, wow. 

Edited by Monstertruck97

NICE.

First off, yes, the sigs will most likely add value. 

As for how to encapsulate and sell, you could send it to CGC's competitor to "verify" the signature. 

OR- take good photographs of the signature and the first page, then send the book to CGC to encapsulate. They won't verify or authenticate the signature, but they'll note the sig on the label. Print out photographs of the sigs, then place them in the bag with the slab. Then future buyers can see that the sig looks authentic. It's what I did with a few of my Stan Lee signed books-

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=56122&GSub=3306

If you go with the competitor, you might gain a bump from the verification, but might lose a bump because CGC can sell for more. Your call. 

On 8/5/2021 at 7:38 PM, eee91 said:

If you go with the competitor, you might gain a bump from the verification, but might lose a bump because CGC can sell for more. Your call. 

Heck with that. Go with Beckett verification. They carry a lot of weight. Talking about FF #1-10 signed by Lee. Talking about FF #1-10 period. Get your Beckett yellow label and price them accordingly. People who aren't zealots will beat the door down to buy them.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, Randall Ries said:

Heck with that. Go with Beckett verification. They carry a lot of weight. Talking about FF #1-10 signed by Lee. Talking about FF #1-10 period. Get your Beckett yellow label and price them accordingly. People who aren't zealots will beat the door down to buy them.

If the FF books were signed on the cover and would get a CGC green label, then I'd agree with you and go with the competitor's verification. But signed on the inside as they are now, if they were my books, I'd go with CGC. Just my opinion. 

Regardless, el-gato, make sure you get good pictures of the sigs and print them out before you get them slabbed. 

On 8/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, eee91 said:

If the FF books were signed on the cover and would get a CGC green label, then I'd agree with you and go with the competitor's verification. But signed on the inside as they are now, if they were my books, I'd go with CGC. Just my opinion.

But they would get a blue label with something like "Stan Lee '86 written on 1st page." IMO, Beckett does pretty well at verifying signatures. Then the yellow label.