• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frazetta Cover Question

14 posts in this topic

Hope this is in the right section. I'm assuming this is a golden age book. There is no date listed on the label. There has been some debate if Frazetta actually did this cover. Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks. 

No photo description available.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:25 AM, wombat said:

Hope this is in the right section. I'm assuming this is a golden age book. There is no date listed on the label. There has been some debate if Frazetta actually did this cover. Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks. 

No photo description available.

A good possibility. I know he worked on this strip for a time. In a more humorous style. It would help to compare the cover to the interior art. He might have signed the cover because he did some interior art. 

Love his signature. A work of art in it’s self. 

Sweet book!  Signed with his left hand (?) and still looks awesome.

Capp really screwed him over, but I guess that led to the paperback covers and his paintings....

There should be other reprints of Frank's Lil Abner work that you can reference.  I would guess that the cover is reprinted from an interior panel, and not drawn specially for this cover.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Not Frazetta art.  Frazetta-signed.

FB discussion here with the experts:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/857418021401344/permalink/1164712600671883/

@wombat

I'm in that discussion. Just thought maybe someone else had any other opinions. Small world. 

@wombat

Possibly try to contact Dr. Dave Winiewicz (DocDave).  I looked and couldn't find a way to contact him.  The last blog entry I saw was in 2020.  Maybe try reaching out to Vanguard Publishing - http://vanguardpublishing.com/frank_frazetta/index.html

I am pretty sure I remember him posting here years ago.

J.D. Spurlock could be a contact too.  

One of my grails is a SS Frazetta book.  

On 8/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, JRBaxter said:

Bond’s Frazetta reference book lists the book as the entire book is penciled by FF, but the cover is not credited to FF.

Bond is actually posting in that Facebook thread. He was going off of bad information. 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:28 PM, telerites said:

@wombat

Possibly try to contact Dr. Dave Winiewicz (DocDave).  I looked and couldn't find a way to contact him.  The last blog entry I saw was in 2020.  Maybe try reaching out to Vanguard Publishing - http://vanguardpublishing.com/frank_frazetta/index.html

I am pretty sure I remember him posting here years ago.

J.D. Spurlock could be a contact too.  

One of my grails is a SS Frazetta book.  

Thank you. 

On 8/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, wombat said:

I'll tell you what. I would be pretty pissed off if I bought that and found out later it wasn't Frazetta. 

What would you have paid for it?  No price on the cover, in addition to no date.  Maybe a prototype?